Na Gardaí

Started by 118cmal, November 24, 2008, 03:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

118cmal

I am in final year of college at the moment and I am seriously considering training to be a Garda.  I am from the north, however, so I don't know anyone who has recently trained.  I tried to register my interest at publicjobs.ie but cannot since I don't have a PPs number! 

Can anyone advise how long it normally takes to train and how often recruitment takes place?  Also, is it hard to get in?

In addition, if anyone who is a Garda could give me any advice that would be great.

Thanks in advance

thejuice

did you try e-mailing them;

appointments@garda.ie
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

118cmal

Thanks juice, missed that, I'll do it now.

Would still like to hear from any Gardaí or anyone familiar with the application process though if possible!

Donagh

Don't know much about the application process but have a mate from Fermanagh who finished training about two years ago around the same time another mate was passing out at Garnerville. Got the impression it was handier all round to get through the Garda training.

behind the wire

Her name is Anna, shes from Buncrana
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Hardy

With ginger frizzy hair and one eye looking over there

next ...

Maguire01

Quote from: Donagh on November 24, 2008, 03:58:28 PM
Got the impression it was handier all round to get through the Garda training.
Does that mean the PSNI has better trained officers?

Donagh

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 24, 2008, 05:14:13 PM

Dunno, they maybe have their own specialties. From what I understand the PSNI spend more time on human rights and physical fitness. The Garda might spend more time on learning how to solve crime - no bad thing in a police officer.

Bud Wiser

Ring Pillar in Fitzgibbon Street and ask him to fix you up. You will be able to get in free to all the games in Croker and you might even get to manage the Dubs.  If you are only into Club Football and like a bit of a shindig every weekend then Laois club football is for you in which case ring Darren Rooney.  If hurling is your only man then Eddie (Speedy) Brennan from the Cat's is in Portlaoise and he might get you fixed up in Kilkenny.  Fail to live up to the Cat's standards and you are on your way to the Innishowen Peninsula without as much as a warning so that one may not be a good option.

If you click on this link I think you will find the info you require: http://www.kilroyscollege.ie/course.php?courseid=31&ad=53&gclid=CJ2apYyrjpcCFQ2IMAodIAir8Q

Best of luck.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Maguire01

Quote from: Donagh on November 24, 2008, 05:25:05 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 24, 2008, 05:14:13 PM

Dunno, they maybe have their own specialties. From what I understand the PSNI spend more time on human rights and physical fitness. The Garda might spend more time on learning how to solve crime - no bad thing in a police officer.
I'd say given NI's history, and the current immigration, an emphasis on Human Rights is pretty appropriate.

Funny that you mention physical finess - have you ever seen a fat PSNI officer? Some of the Gardai are a disgrace - does physical fitness cease to become an issue once you qualify? Surely it should be as much part of a job appraisal as any other competence?

The Real Laoislad

I was as close to becoming a Garda as can be,I done the aptitude test,interviews and medical and had a date to start in Templemore
I decided against it in the end and took a apprenticeship which I have never regretted thank God
Pm me if you want advice 118cmal as most of my family and in laws are in the Guards and I would be able find out a lot of info for you
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Blegard

Quote from: 118cmal on November 24, 2008, 03:22:48 PM
I am in final year of college at the moment and I am seriously considering training to be a Garda.  I am from the north, however, so I don't know anyone who has recently trained.  I tried to register my interest at publicjobs.ie but cannot since I don't have a PPs number! 

Can anyone advise how long it normally takes to train and how often recruitment takes place?  Also, is it hard to get in?

In addition, if anyone who is a Garda could give me any advice that would be great.

Thanks in advance

You can obviously type and find your way around the internet. you will go a long way. All you need is a small moustahe some big personal issues and take it out on the shams. No celtic tiger people to be jealous about anymore so youll  be top dog.
For Gods sake try something else especially just out of college. Go Backpacking
Ceol,Dole agus Ol

Saffrongael

Reports of a detective being shot dead in a hold-up in Dundalk
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Shamrock Shore

Sky have confirmed it.

>:(

ONeill

Hardy's the man to question here.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.