The good old days...

Started by Denn Forever, January 24, 2021, 11:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

The comments about this song are focused on how things were better in the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1fzJ_AYajA

There was no austerity or pandemic

BennyCake

The A Team and MacGyver on Saturday evenings.

Taylor

Quote from: BennyCake on January 25, 2021, 11:34:47 AM

Super.

And the Racoons on a Saturday morning

johnnycool

Quote from: Taylor on January 25, 2021, 11:42:16 AM

Super.

And the Racoons on a Saturday morning

FFS we'd three, maybe four channels to chose from on a Saturday morning, The banana splits, some badly dubbed Spanish civil war thing called the flashing blade or whatever, maybe a bit of champion the wonder horse and the likes..

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

johnnycool

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 25, 2021, 12:32:42 PM
Was that not Zorro?

Zorro was on as well, but distinctly watching a badly dubbed Spanish Civil war type thing;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Sb9AoirSU

TabClear

Lol with all this talk of turf, I mind my dad lifting me,my brothers and cousin from school one Friday instead of getting the bus with a change of clothes and the promise "sure if we get this wee load of turf rickled/bagged this evening you'll be away in time to watch the A Team tomorrow". That sounded like a good deal so not too many complaints on the Friday. Unsurprisingly that weekend ended up in the bog to about 10 at night on Friday and Saturday, no sign of BA and Hannibal and a downpour on Sunday!  And my da happy at mass cos all the turf was in out of the rain :D :D

LeoMc

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 25, 2021, 09:38:27 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 25, 2021, 09:04:11 AM
Quote from: Orior on January 24, 2021, 08:56:30 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 24, 2021, 07:55:14 PM
When FA Cup Final Saturday was the biggest day in the Soccer Calendar.

The Preview, the teams coming in on their buses, the interviews, the nostalgia!

You'd sit down and watch it the whole day - no matter who was in the final.

Lucky you. Farming slave labour meant the rest of us would spend Saturday's cleaning out calf houses, or filling muck spreaders from the dunghill with a grape, or pulling rag weeds or topping grass and so on and so forth.

Getting the good grape which still had the cross handle attached made all the difference too..

Being sent out to gather stones after the fields had been harrowed, stooking bales with the knots to the bottom and on the inside. Fresh milk straight out of the tank was so creamy you could stand a spoon in the glass, unreal stuff.

Braid/Maine raspberry lemonade on a Saturday night after your bath, all set for mass the next morning.
Tea out of the glass bottle and soda bread cheese sandwiches with tonnes of butter, be it in the meadow or on the bog, made all the hardship worth while.
Cheese?
We would always have rhubarb jam on our soda bread.

armaghniac

Rhubarb jam is one of the simple pleasures of life.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trileacman

Back when the RTE news didn't end with a f**king poem.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on January 26, 2021, 06:55:41 PM

As was gooseberry jam, on me Mam's homemade soda farls.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Look-Up!

Quote from: LeoMc on January 26, 2021, 06:49:42 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on January 25, 2021, 09:38:27 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 25, 2021, 09:04:11 AM
Quote from: Orior on January 24, 2021, 08:56:30 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 24, 2021, 07:55:14 PM
When FA Cup Final Saturday was the biggest day in the Soccer Calendar.

The Preview, the teams coming in on their buses, the interviews, the nostalgia!

You'd sit down and watch it the whole day - no matter who was in the final.

Lucky you. Farming slave labour meant the rest of us would spend Saturday's cleaning out calf houses, or filling muck spreaders from the dunghill with a grape, or pulling rag weeds or topping grass and so on and so forth.

Getting the good grape which still had the cross handle attached made all the difference too..

Being sent out to gather stones after the fields had been harrowed, stooking bales with the knots to the bottom and on the inside. Fresh milk straight out of the tank was so creamy you could stand a spoon in the glass, unreal stuff.

Braid/Maine raspberry lemonade on a Saturday night after your bath, all set for mass the next morning.
Tea out of the glass bottle and soda bread cheese sandwiches with tonnes of butter, be it in the meadow or on the bog, made all the hardship worth while.
Cheese?
We would always have rhubarb jam on our soda bread.
Cheese and butter was what we had. Bread warm from being out in the sun, cheese soft and butter runny. Tea tasted 100 times better out of the bottle for some reason. Food of the Gods.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on January 26, 2021, 06:55:41 PM
And freshly baked brown bread

seafoid

Pre Murdoch and Premier League , national TV channels had programmes like Sports Stadium with cheap sports rights that meant they showed everything.

Rugby was amateur. Players were smaller.

Dublin were shite.

Eamonnca1

Dickie Davis
Grapple fans
Big Daddy
Giant Haystacks
"Have a good week, till next week"

The vidi-printer
The classified soccer results, you can tell by his inflection who won before he reads it all out
The Norn-Iron sports report for the latest news from Harland and Wolfe Welders v Crusaders

Anything Goes
Sports Stadium
2FM playing at least 50% of its music from Irish artists

Knight Rider
Airwolf
The Fall Guy

Decent weather and a couple of weeks off school at Easter
The endless summer holidays, nine weeks that seemed like an infinite amount of time to fill
The concept of summer as a distinct season. (I sometimes get asked by college students "how's your summer going?" and I have to titter.)

White Christmases, a foot of snow on the ground, and a snowman on everyone's front lawn

The newspaper stand outside the chapel on a sunday morning, because it'd be too crowded if everybody wanting a paper would go into the shop

More on the Bygones thread... http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=29153.0