The official Derry are going to beat Donegal thread

Started by marty88, October 15, 2007, 02:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loughshore lad

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 16, 2007, 01:10:41 PM
Quote from: loughshore lad on October 16, 2007, 12:27:30 PM
Do you Derry folk never give up?? There is no chance of McIver taking Derry - just get over it. Besides Crozier turned things around last season you would think the fans would get behind him for the coming season.

its usually me bleating on wistfully about McIver
however as you are completely incorrect regarding Crozier
I hope you are wrong about mr Mc Iver and the possibility regarding him ever managing the Real Rebel county ! ;)

As far as I remember there was uproar within Derry football circles when they where put out of the Ulster Championship by what subsequently turned out to be a decent Monaghan team. The post mortem after that game had the Derry set up at a very low ebb but the inbreds turned it around to reach an All Ireland Semi. The last I checked Crozier was manager throughout that period so as you say then I am completely wrong about Crozier being involved in turning Derry's season around  ;D ;D.
I am not saying he is a great manager all I am saying is he turned things around last season and that Derry fans should be getting behind him instead of constantly barraging him.

J70

Quote from: Bogball XV on October 16, 2007, 12:02:58 PM
When was the last time we beat Donegal? 1998 I reckon?  We have an awful record against them though.

We've only met twice since the '98 Ulster Final - the day in Clones in 2002 when most of the crowd stayed in the pub to watch Ireland v Spain, and then last year when you probably underestimated us after you beating Tyrone and us with no established forwards.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: loughshore lad on October 16, 2007, 02:25:42 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 16, 2007, 01:10:41 PM
Quote from: loughshore lad on October 16, 2007, 12:27:30 PM
Do you Derry folk never give up?? There is no chance of McIver taking Derry - just get over it. Besides Crozier turned things around last season you would think the fans would get behind him for the coming season.

its usually me bleating on wistfully about McIver
however as you are completely incorrect regarding Crozier
I hope you are wrong about mr Mc Iver and the possibility regarding him ever managing the Real Rebel county ! ;)

As far as I remember there was uproar within Derry football circles when they where put out of the Ulster Championship by what subsequently turned out to be a decent Monaghan team. The post mortem after that game had the Derry set up at a very low ebb but the inbreds turned it around to reach an All Ireland Semi. The last I checked Crozier was manager throughout that period so as you say then I am completely wrong about Crozier being involved in turning Derry's season around  ;D ;D.
I am not saying he is a great manager all I am saying is he turned things around last season and that Derry fans should be getting behind him instead of constantly barraging him.

you obv havent hear me rant on about him before- and that started before he was appointed as Derry boss....know his form and was worried that he might get the job, and have seen nothing to change my 18 year old opinion of him ever since

Bogball XV

Quote from: J70 on October 16, 2007, 03:01:30 PM
When was the last time we beat Donegal? 1998 I reckon?  We have an awful record against them though.

We've only met twice since the '98 Ulster Final - the day in Clones in 2002 when most of the crowd stayed in the pub to watch Ireland v Spain, and then last year when you probably underestimated us after you beating Tyrone and us with no established forwards.
Aye, we beat yous in '93, but lost in 89, 90 and '92 to yous - so there's two victories and 5 defeats from the last 7 matches (that I remember) - pretty bad record, I'd say that's the worst record we have against any Ulster county.

J70

Quote from: Bogball XV on October 16, 2007, 04:47:50 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 16, 2007, 03:01:30 PM

Aye, we beat yous in '93, but lost in 89, 90 and '92 to yous - so there's two victories and 5 defeats from the last 7 matches (that I remember) - pretty bad record, I'd say that's the worst record we have against any Ulster county.

Don't forget the two league finals. They may only been the league, but losing them to you lot hurt! There was also the rather tempestous quarter final in Breffni in '93, which we scraped through! Donegal-Derry relations weren't too good in the McEniff-Coleman era and afterwards, although by the time of the '96 league final, I think Derry were starting to look on Donegal as a team they could beat handily enough if they really wanted to. A bit like Armagh did up until this year!
That Brolly goal in '98 was a sickener though, as Barry McGowan hadn't given him a sniff up until then, and I still maintain that Geoffrey McGonigle pushed Noel McGinley in the back before winning the ball in the build-up! :P

armaghniac

QuoteA bit like Armagh did up until this year!

We still do, J70, we just dropped the ball last year.  :)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on October 16, 2007, 11:06:21 PM
QuoteA bit like Armagh did up until this year!

We still do, J70, we just dropped the ball last year.  :)

You're not still sore at big Hearty are you? :P

lynchbhoy

Quote from: J70 on October 16, 2007, 05:38:01 PM
and I still maintain that Geoffrey McGonigle pushed Noel McGinley in the back before winning the ball in the build-up! :P
if manus boyle did it and tony boyle scored would you think the same...
it was no free ! :)

J70

quit yo jibbajabba

was that the day where near the end gormley handpassed a ball through a mans legs??
if so, that was near as good as it got; all ireland winners, on a roll big time; and even though it were "only" a league match, i remember leavin the match thinkin that it dont get much better than that.....