Connacht Senior Football Championship 2021

Started by Cunny Funt, June 18, 2021, 12:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Mayo winning an All Ireland is something that might provoke something positive in Galway.

I was disgusted with that 2nd half performance, Mayo didn't even have to work too hard to get all their scores. I don't recall Mayo kicking any points from difficult angles in the 2nd half or from distance, they were all within the scoring zone. No pressure applied on so many of those scores, Conroy waltzed past 3 or 4 Galway defenders and not a hand laid on him. Kevin McLaughlin's point another one where Durcan, Mullin and then McLaughlin were not confronted with any Galway player and Mayo didn't even attack with any great intensity, indicative of what went on in the 2nd half, as for Ruane's goal they should be embarrassed.

Its fairly obvious to anyone who's watched football the last decade that any team who has aspirations of winning an All Ireland that you need a fair degree of athleticism running through the team and sadly its something Galway really lack. Felt sorry for Comer, playing that man wing forward in Croke Park is ridiculous. Look at Durcan, Mullin, Ruane, Eoghan McLaughlin & Diarmuid O'Connor; These lads will run all day long and do it at pace in the middle 3rd of the pitch and it helps create so many easy scores for Mayo.  Galway just don't have enough players who can replicate that. I think Paul Kelly & Cathal Sweeney are capable of it but their still both u20 and are probably a couple of years of matching the Mayo lads. Cooke & Tierney I'm sure will both get fitter but neither are blessed with great pace. McDaid has the pace and power to live with the Mayo lads but he's no use if he can't stay fit, John Daly too is a powerful runner.  I can't believe we're in 2021 and still moaning about kickouts, Mayo won 9 I think on Sunday which is farcical, Gleeson is just not upto it. I appreciate its the lack of strategy too but on several occasions Gleeson just kicked it over the side-line, given how many Mayo won in the first half it was some sort of miracle Galway were 5 points up at half time.

Its probably not all doom and gloom as we're making out as there is plenty of talent there and a fair bit coming through but doesn't matter a jot unless the right people are in charge.

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 26, 2021, 02:53:09 PM
All due respect to a legend of the game, we have seen nothing that indicates Galway are going to improve from here, will be an absolute dogfight to get back to Div One next year as well.
Not entirely his fault - Galway football problems are of a more systemic nature I feel and outside of a few players a lot of them have just not done it at Senior level - but the cold facts are what they are, Mayo have made a team transition without skipping a beat, people on about all the young players that have started for Galway, the Mayo young lads have come in and are winning, they look absolutely miles ahead in terms of conditioning, attitude and aggression.
Depressing enough really, I don't know do many people even care, if you look at the pathetic fund raising return from earlier in the year, the shambles that is the county website, everything points to a two bob operation.
For the people I see on social media trying to go on about Mayo's failure to land the big one to make themselves feel a bit better about the hames we are in at the moment it makes me cringe.
Mayo are the ones rightly laughing at us, 10 semi finals in 11 years, they are the only show in town West of the Shannon at the top table, Galway have had one good year in twenty and failed utterly to build off the back of that. Expecting some out of nowhere event like 98 to happen again is a Fools errant, we're hopelessly exposed in CP all the time and I've yet to hear a coherent plan about how Galway football is going to be turned around, forget the underage wins, we had those before and made no use of them, what's the plan to get Galway consistently playing in the later stages the Senior Championship?
D2 North  will feature Meath, Down and Derry. Nothing special
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

whitey

I wonder if Corofins dominance is undermining the county's efforts

In Mayo there are typically 4 or 5 teams that have a realistic shot at winning it and recent finals have rarely had more than a kick of a ball between the teams at the end.

Think of a lad like Ruane from Breaffy....he's competing year in year out with the likes of the O Connors, Andy Moran, Paddy Durcan, Lee Keegan, and O Hora.

Even though Breaffy haven't won it yet, consistently playing against some of the best players in the country in close games is worth a year in the gym

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 27, 2021, 01:15:35 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 27, 2021, 12:02:31 PM
Ye Galway lads are fairly beating yereselves up over the team's performances and overall set up!
Seems no panic or concern in Roscommon.... the only team Galway have bet (twice!) in the covid times.
Maybe we should be more concerned but I suppose underage exploits and forthcoming club championships have taken over.

If there's no gut check for Galway GAA after this year then what's the point of competing at all really? It's plainly not good enough, I feel as bad about the footballers today as I did after the Mayo match in 2013, feels like we're going nowhere, there's no identity, no plan, nothing positive to point at really.
+1

moysider

Saw Swanee earlier. Arm in sling inside his pullover.

mouview

Tubberman

Quote from: mouview on July 27, 2021, 08:14:53 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 27, 2021, 07:01:51 PM
Saw Swanee earlier. Arm in sling inside his pullover.

Karma.

hopefully farragher breaks his leg so for injuring ohora? is that the shit you're resorting to?
Walsh tried to take down ohora, but ohora took him down instead.  he didn't go out to get him. not sure the same can be said for the 'challenge' on ohora.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

An Fhairche Abu

The maroon or green and red glasses are going to colour the opinion on this but if we're going to allow players to body slam the opposition at every coming together or jersey pull then let's go whole hog on it and just allow a violent free for all, might be one way to beat the Dubs!
What happened happened, O'Hora is a trained fighter and got away with it, best of luck to him. The officials did nothing or felt that there was nothing to do as the Mayo fans would make out, that's the only thing that matters really, It's starting to sound like whinging from Galway now so we should leave it off to the teams left and concentrate on our own myriad problems, Sunday is done and dusted.

From the Bunker

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 27, 2021, 09:12:11 PM
The maroon or green and red glasses are going to colour the opinion on this but if we're going to allow players to body slam the opposition at every coming together or jersey pull then let's go whole hog on it and just allow a violent free for all, might be one way to beat the Dubs!
What happened happened, O'Hora is a trained fighter and got away with it, best of luck to him. The officials did nothing or felt that there was nothing to do as the Mayo fans would make out, that's the only thing that matters really, It's starting to sound like whinging from Galway now so we should leave it off to the teams left and concentrate on our own myriad problems, Sunday is done and dusted.

Still does not make it ok! Believe me Dublin pulled some strokes themselves to get over the line the last ten years. What must be done, must be done. It takes a strong 7 officials to deal with these big calls in a big game.

highorlow

QuoteThe maroon or green and red glasses are going to colour the opinion on this but if we're going to allow players to body slam the opposition at every coming together or jersey pull then let's go whole hog on it and just allow a violent free for all, might be one way to beat the Dubs!

The officials don't do their jobs. Finnerty started handbags with O'Hora from the get go under the eyes of umpires and linesmen. The refs are afraid to hand out yellow cards to early. If it was a club game they'd have both got yellows and it might have stopped the off the ball carry on.

Galway should've learned and had yer lesson years ago via Colm Boyle on Comer not to get involved in the fisticuffs against us.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

GalwayBayBoy

Agreed. Some pretty distasteful views going about on this now so better to bury it.

whitey

Compared to what O' Shea and the O Connors have had to put up with from Dublin over the years, Galway should pack it in altogether if theyre getting their underpants in a knot over what happened last Sunday.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: highorlow on July 27, 2021, 11:02:22 PM
QuoteThe maroon or green and red glasses are going to colour the opinion on this but if we're going to allow players to body slam the opposition at every coming together or jersey pull then let's go whole hog on it and just allow a violent free for all, might be one way to beat the Dubs!

The officials don't do their jobs. Finnerty started handbags with O'Hora from the get go under the eyes of umpires and linesmen. The refs are afraid to hand out yellow cards to early. If it was a club game they'd have both got yellows and it might have stopped the off the ball carry on.

Galway should've learned and had yer lesson years ago via Colm Boyle on Comer not to get involved in the fisticuffs against us.

That incident was a classic fair shoulder, superbly done, as far from needless fisticuffs as you could get. A couple of years later Comer similarly buried Diarmiud O'Connor in a match ye lost in Salthill, so what's to learn on this lesson apart from if you don't ruthlessly come with everything it's a waste of time? I'd always be of the opinion that Slyvie Linanne's maxim that "ye'll win nothing if ye haven't a few tinkers in the team" is generally correct and Galway lack any lads who'll go through a wall and the rules to win at the minute.
In fairness ye have earned the right to be so arrogantly dismissive, Mayo are miles ahead so ye can say what ye want, doesn't look like Galway will be in any position to have bragging rights any time soon.

Quote from: whitey on July 28, 2021, 12:07:19 AM
Compared to what O' Shea and the O Connors have had to put up with from Dublin over the years, Galway should pack it in altogether if theyre getting their underpants in a knot over what happened last Sunday.
Yeah, the two O'Connors are a pair of put upon angels alright.
Whether we should pack it in is a question worth answering though, certainly not fit for purpose at the moment anyway.

From the Bunker

We will be back on our arse soon enough. For all our Big talk, it amounts to nothing without the Canister. In relation to Galway, better to be well beaten and sore than to lose by a point (Like last year), think you are not far away and be mildly content drifting into another year.

As for Mayo winning Sam driving Galway on. I think it would drive Mayo on even more.

And if you are sickened listening to us now. Can you image us after winning an AI?

seafoid

All the talk about Mayo's S&C superiority got me thinking about Colm McMenamin. He could run like the duracell bunny but was never a great scorer.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU