Euro 20/21

Started by rodney trotter, May 19, 2021, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Really like this England team. Playing really well, very organised. And they look to be hard to play against. No goals conceded and they could score a bagful going forward. Difficult to see them being stopped if they keep playing like this.

RedHand88

Quote from: BennyCake on July 04, 2021, 10:20:14 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 04, 2021, 09:15:28 PM
Craig Burley not impressed with England having all bar 1 game in Wembley

https://t.co/udMRuz5JyJ?amp=1

He's correct. England would have qualified from the group anyway, but there should have been no more games at Wembley until the final.  No other country had the advantage England have

Playing Germany neutral venue, might have been a different result. Plus a semi v Denmark at Wembley is a massive advantage.

They're one of the host countries, infact they're the main host country because the semis and final were always in Wembley regardless of who got there. Plus the only reason the Germany game was in Wembley was because the Dublin government wouldn't commit to allowing a crowd.

Scotland had 2 group home games, they lost both of them convincingly.

England have the same advantage Russia had 2 years ago or France had in 2016, or Brazil in 2014 etc. Don't recall anyone gurning then.
Interestingly the 4 semi finalists had all 3 group games at home.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on July 05, 2021, 09:38:27 AM
Really like this England team. Playing really well, very organised. And they look to be hard to play against. No goals conceded and they could score a bagful going forward. Difficult to see them being stopped if they keep playing like this.

Germany the only team of note they've played and Thomas Muller was allowed to run straight through the centre of that defence only to miss the target. That was also a poor German team.

Wonder did the referee tell Kane to get up when they took the knee in Rome, Kane looked confused for a while...

Estimator

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 05, 2021, 09:59:43 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 04, 2021, 10:20:14 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 04, 2021, 09:15:28 PM
Craig Burley not impressed with England having all bar 1 game in Wembley

https://t.co/udMRuz5JyJ?amp=1

He's correct. England would have qualified from the group anyway, but there should have been no more games at Wembley until the final.  No other country had the advantage England have

Playing Germany neutral venue, might have been a different result. Plus a semi v Denmark at Wembley is a massive advantage.

They're one of the host countries, infact they're the main host country because the semis and final were always in Wembley regardless of who got there. Plus the only reason the Germany game was in Wembley was because the Dublin government wouldn't commit to allowing a crowd.

Scotland had 2 group home games, they lost both of them convincingly.

England have the same advantage Russia had 2 years ago or France had in 2016, or Brazil in 2014 etc. Don't recall anyone gurning then.
Interestingly the 4 semi finalists had all 3 group games at home.

It's slightly different, they didn't play in the same stadium for all their fixtures. England had the same advantage in '96:

Russia played in 3 different stadiums for their group games in 2018.
Brazil played in 4 different stadiums in 2014.
France played in 4 different stadiums in 2016.
There is was a certain amount of travelling between venues for the fixtures.

So far the semi-finalists have played in the following venues:

Italy have had 3 games in Rome, 1 in Wembley and 1 in Munich
Spain have had 3 games in Seville, 1 in Copenhagen and 1 in St Petersberg
Denmark had 3 games in Copenhagen, 1 in the Netherlands and 1 in Azerbaijan
England have had 4 games in Wembley and 1 in Rome.
Ulster League Champions 2009

BennyCake

Quote from: johnnycool on July 05, 2021, 10:29:48 AM

Germany the only team of note they've played and Thomas Muller was allowed to run straight through the centre of that defence only to miss the target. That was also a poor German team.

Wonder did the referee tell Kane to get up when they took the knee in Rome, Kane looked confused for a while...

Yes, I agree. They were poor v Scotland and just about got the job done v Croatia and Czechs.

Germany were poor, yet had Müller took that chance, it's a different game. Ukraine were dung. So while I understand the Brits getting carried away, they haven't really beaten anyone of note (like the last World Cup). Let's hope the Danes sort them out.

Also, I noticed Maguire didn't take the knee.

thebigfella

Quote from: BennyCake on July 05, 2021, 12:24:16 PM

Yes, I agree. They were poor v Scotland and just about got the job done v Croatia and Czechs.

Germany were poor, yet had Müller took that chance, it's a different game. Ukraine were dung. So while I understand the Brits getting carried away, they haven't really beaten anyone of note (like the last World Cup). Let's hope the Danes sort them out.

Maguire did

trailer

They've beaten the teams they had to beat.
France couldn't beat Switzerland.
Sweden couldn't beat Ukraine
Holland couldn't beat the Czechs

I don't know if they will win it but they are were they are on merit.

shark

Quote from: trailer on July 05, 2021, 01:19:33 PM

They've beaten the teams they had to beat.
France couldn't beat Switzerland.
Sweden couldn't beat Ukraine
Holland couldn't beat the Czechs

I don't know if they will win it but they are were they are on merit.

If they beat Denmark then "they are not a top team". And then if they win the final it will be "Spain/Italy are not a patch on their 2012/1982 side".

None of Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, France, Belgium, or Portugal currently have the greatest team in their nation's history. That wouldn't diminish an England win in the slightest.
Mind you, I still think Italy will win it.

BennyCake

Quote from: thebigfella on July 05, 2021, 12:44:32 PM

Maguire did

Well, it was either him or Stones who stood there while the others took the knee. Looked like Maguire though.

Jell 0 Biafra

At this point, a larger fear emerges.  What if this England team is the international equivalent of 1993's Man Utd?  A team that was hilariously knocking on the door, and failing for years, only for the eventual win to set them up for a period of dominance? 

OK, international tournaments are only every two years, and even Spain only managed three on the bounce, but still...

JoG2

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 05, 2021, 03:16:16 PM
At this point, a larger fear emerges.  What if this England team is the international equivalent of 1993's Man Utd?  A team that was hilariously knocking on the door, and failing for years, only for the eventual win to set them up for a period of dominance? 

OK, international tournaments are only every two years, and even Spain only managed three on the bounce, but still...

Football's staying home? Stranger things have happened. I wouldn't lose any sleep if England did win, but a wee penalty shootout loss..... Purely for the craic

thebigfella

Quote from: BennyCake on July 05, 2021, 03:14:06 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on July 05, 2021, 12:44:32 PM

Maguire did

Well, it was either him or Stones who stood there while the others took the knee. Looked like Maguire though.

The ref restarted the kick off as the Ukraine started without waiting for them to take the knee or being ready. Plenty of people jerking themselves off over this on the internet when it's not the truth.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5c9PxMWYAEF_0E.png

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

France beat nobody of note at the last World Cup

Australia and Peru in the group, they couldn't beat Denmark

Argentina were a total shambles, a joke of a team
Uruguay, pah, a country of three million people
Belgium, pah, a small, spineless country with a football team to match
Croatia? Lolz, four million people, the Leitrim of European football

France were not a good team in 2018

Something like that

screenexile

This is fairly decent just missing a goal both teams playing some nice stuff at times!