Euro 20/21

Started by rodney trotter, May 19, 2021, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: TabClear on June 29, 2021, 10:21:06 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 29, 2021, 08:52:21 AM
Mbappe is what he is. An ok luxury player in a piss poor league. Never does it on the big stage. He needs a move to a better league and a better team. He is nowhere near as good as people think he is and I think he is lucky to get a place in that France team.

The Swiss deserved their victory. Once Pogba started dancing they upped their game and were the better team for most of the match.

Was glad to see the French go out just for that. Wonderful goal but no need for the "look at me" afterwards

It was the best and worst of Pogba in one night, sublime passing and wonderful goal followed by losing the ball with the game done and dusted and conceding a goal. France could still have gone on to win the tournament if he does his job properly for one minute more.

England will be licking their lips now, Portugal and France dusted.

lurganblue

Mbappe had a poor tournament yeah.  He had plenty of chances to score goals in each match.  People were talking him up as the next Messi/Ronaldo world star.  Neither of those two would have failed to convert some of those chances IMO.

Fair play to the Swiss though.  They usually enter these tournaments having cruised through qualifying but then do nothing on the big stage. They showed last night that they can keep the ball, can hurt teams and have plenty of fight. They were dangerous from crosses all evening.  If Verane does join Utd he will have a difficult time against the likes of Chris Wood.

johnnycool

Leaked England team suggests Southgate is parking the bus with 5 across the back and 2 holding midfielders..

Borefest here we come.

yellowcard

Quote from: johnnycool on June 29, 2021, 10:57:09 AM
Leaked England team suggests Southgate is parking the bus with 5 across the back and 2 holding midfielders..

Borefest here we come.

It displays a lack of trust in his own team where the fear of losing takes over. Rice and Phillips are typically overhyped English midfielders but he certainly doesn't need 2 of them particularly if he is playing with 3 centre backs as rumoured. If the leaked line up takes the field then the potential for another 3-3 draw is very low. It looks like he is playing to keep it tight and hope for a set piece goal or a moment of individual magic from one of the front players.   

yellowcard

Quote from: trailer on June 29, 2021, 10:14:10 AM
Mbottler. A fraud. A charlatan.
He showed wonderful promise but he hasn't pushed on. He's Neymar#2. Wants to be a big fish in small pond. He won't achieve anything by staying in France. His career is at a crossroads.

Complete over reaction to 4 matches at the end of almost 2 consecutive seasons without a break. I wouldn't jump overboard with judging players in this tournament and he most certainly doesn't have the ego of a Neymar. I think people put too much store in a few international matches played at a big tournament rather than the dozens of matches they play throughout the club season. In the modern era the champions league is for the large part a higher standard of football and should be a truer barometer of a players ability. 

He is not a generational talent like Messi or Ronaldo (who is) but is a very good player who probably needs a career move to prove his capabilities and get to the next level. 

trueblue1234

I'd happily see him at Liverpool.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

BennyCake

After watching Austria almost putting out Italy, I just had a feeling the Swiss could win that. France weren't exactly firing in the group, and I've never been convinced about Deschamps.

I'm no big fan of the yodellers but I like to see the underdog progress. And you have to say, Switzerland deserved that win. They were the better team.

Now, all we need is for Germany to dump out England, and then we'll have a very interesting tournament. And hopefully with a novel pairing in the final.

Would like to see the Danes win it after what they've been through. Or the Swedes or Czechs. Anyone but England, basically.

Taylor

Quote from: BennyCake on June 29, 2021, 11:40:12 AM
After watching Austria almost putting out Italy, I just had a feeling the Swiss could win that. France weren't exactly firing in the group, and I've never been convinced about Deschamps.

I'm no big fan of the yodellers but I like to see the underdog progress. And you have to say, Switzerland deserved that win. They were the better team.

Now, all we need is for Germany to dump out England, and then we'll have a very interesting tournament. And hopefully with a novel pairing in the final.

Would like to see the Danes win it after what they've been through. Or the Swedes or Czechs. Anyone but England, basically.

C'mon Benny.

How good would it be to see them get to the final and then lose on penalties or to a VAR decision?

BennyCake

Quote from: Taylor on June 29, 2021, 12:04:27 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 29, 2021, 11:40:12 AM

C'mon Benny.

How good would it be to see them get to the final and then lose on penalties or to a VAR decision?

Feck that. You don't want them anywhere near the final. A one off game, anything could happen. A sending off, own goal, penalty. They could fluke it. Too risky, that is.

No, take no chances. Get them out early then we can all enjoy the rest of the tournament safe in the knowledge England fans and players are nowhere to be seen.

Jell 0 Biafra

Mbappe hadn't a great tournament, but he was pretty unfortunate against Germany.  Great goal chalked off because he slightly mistimed his run.

seafoid

Swiss German paper NZZ say Petkovic kept faith in the senior players , in the offensive Strategy and Mentality which were often dissed

Der Sieg gegen Frankreich gibt vor allem dem Schweizer Coach Recht – für sein Vertrauen in Führungsspieler wie Granit Xhaka, Xherdan Shaqiri und Haris Seferovic, in dieses Gerüst und diese Hierarchie, in diese offensive Strategie und in diese Mentalität, die oft angezweifelt worden ist.

French newspaper le Monde says you would have to ask Deschamps about his choices. 4 different tactical set ups.

Il faudra aussi interroger les choix de Didier Deschamps. Quatre matchs, quatre schémas tactiques, le sélectionneur a traversé cet Euro en papa la bricole.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Southgate has gone ultra defensive as per the leaked team earlier playing 8 defensive players with just 3 attacking/forward players. He's basically hoping for a set play or Sterling, Saka or Kane to win him the match with some individual brilliance. Mourinho-esque stuff. If he doesn't get this right the crowd will turn on him and his job will be on the line. 

quit yo jibbajabba

Or....keeping it v tight and hoping one of the boys unleashed from the bench does the trick.

Not the most attractive lineup on paper for sure.....

thewobbler

It's horrendous stuff from Southgate.

Taking a group of defenders / defensive midfielders who are used to playing alongside technically gifted players in neutral or attacking systems, and voiding them of the relief, conviction and direction that the better players give them, is borderline cruel.

He's trying to play defensive football with players who don't have the technique, concentration or patience for a siege.

It will end in tears.

rodney trotter

He's a cautious manager.  The English FA gave Southgate a new contract in the middle of the tournament.  At least see how they perform in this tournament.
Tonight Kronos should be the difference in midfield for Germany