GAA Discussion > Hurling Discussion

Hurling Needs a heavier sliotar

<< < (2/13) > >>

Franko:
Hurling (at the top level ONLY) is going through a golden age at the minute.

Why would you want to try to fix something which is so obviously not broken?

Milltown Row2:

--- Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 21, 2019, 02:54:57 PM ---all of the rules seem to be in advantage of the attacking team now

players being let carry the ball for 5-9 steps
throwing of the ball - I thought there has to be a clear striking motion of the hand?
if a forward runs into a defender they are never pulled for charging

--- End quote ---

Running into a player is not charging, charging into a player is charging, needs to lift both feet and aggressively charge a player. The steps thing needs looked at and the hand pass for sure. Refs have been told for years if you canít see a Ďfoulí technical or otherwise you canít call it on a hunch, the definition has changed on the handpass though, clear striking motion. But hey the game at that level is phenomenal hard to call, unless you are sitting on the armchair and watching in slow mo

The Boy Wonder:
I'm in full agreement that the game would be best served by reverting to a heavier sliotar. The ball used today travels so far that you would think they're hitting a tennis ball. Teams are knocking up basketball scores and the bloody ball is ping-ponging from one end of the field to the other  :(

Hurling was my first love but I'm disenamoured with today's game - the main reasons are the light sliotar, the absence of ground hurling and first time pulling on the ball. How many time do you see groups of players mullocking over the ball, trying to get it into their hand instead of driving the thing up the field (to hell with the possession game). Back in the 80's you could get a spell of ground hurling that would electrify the crowd.

Milltown Row2:
Hurling does not need changing! Any player driving a ball through a ruck not knowing where itís going is clueless, it generally lands into the opposing players hands who drives it forward under no pressure!

Iím nearly sure most of this is a wind up ::)

lenny:

--- Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 21, 2019, 08:42:50 PM ---Hurling does not need changing! Any player driving a ball through a ruck not knowing where itís going is clueless, it generally lands into the opposing players hands who drives it forward under no pressure!

Iím nearly sure most of this is a wind up ::)

--- End quote ---

I know theyíre working on it but I would love to see a luminous brighter sliotar. Most games are totally spoiled on tv trying to follow the ball which is impossible to see most of the time. The golf tracer would work great also for free kicks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version