Ulster Club Hurling League

Started by Lecale2, January 05, 2007, 01:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof98

Cheers Sky blue, must of missed this one.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

milltown row

any dates or make up of the leagues been agreed yet, what date did they start last year?

aontroim abu

i have heard there will be 5 divisions this year, most with 14 teams in each divided into 2 sections of 7. top 4 in each go to quarter finals. this year there will be promotion and relegation which will sort the leagues out properly

nrico2006

Has anyone got the groups available to post?  I heard they have been selected and sent to the clubs via e-mail.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

youbetterbelieveit

Lecale2

Div 1
A

Ballycastle
Ballinascreen
Bannagher
Dunloy
Portaferry
St Galls
Rossa

1B
Ballycran
St Johns
Glenariff
Kevin Lynchs
Lavey
Loughgiel
Ballygalget
Div 2
A

Burt
Eire Og
Cushendun
Lamh Dhearg
Middletown
Slaughtniel
Sarsfields

2B
Carey Faughs
Castleblaney Faughs
Eoghain Ruadh
Gortnamona
Keady
St Pauls
Swatragh
Div 3
A

Armoy
Bredagh
Lisbellaw
Eoghan Rua
Setanta
Tir Na  nÓg
Strabane Shamrocks

3B
Shane O Neills
Cuchulainn
Lisnaskea
Newry Shamrocks
Mac Cumhaills
Rasharkin
St Teresas
Div 4
A

St Endas
Sean Traceys
N Columcille
St Brigids C,Mills
Aodh Ruadh
Mullahoran
Castlewellan
Carrickmacross

4B
Creggan
Na Magha
St Peters W,point
St Eunans
Killeavy
Inniskeen
Monaghan Harps
Ballymachugh
Div 5
A

Ballymena
Craobh Rua
Four Masters
Cavan Gaels
Clonduff

5B
Latton
Ardoyne
Truagh Gaels
Woodford Gaels
Gael Chamabhainn

BottleOfStout

Have Cushendall no entered !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lecale2

Cushendall were in last year and didn't enter this time. Neither did St Malachy's, Portadown and Clontribiet.

Proposed Dates               

1   Apr-07   7   Saturday   Easter   Rd 1
2   Apr-07   14   Saturday      Rd 2
3   Apr-07   21   Saturday      Rd 3
4   Apr-07   28   Saturday      Rd 4

5   May-07   5   Saturday      Rd 5
6   May-07   26   Saturday      Rd 6

7   Jun-07   2   Saturday      Rd 7
8   Jun-07   16   Saturday      1/4 Finals

9   Jul-07            
      28   Saturday      Semi Finals

10   Sep-07   8   Saturday      Finals

nrico2006

Some interesting groups.  Obviously it will take another season to determine real standings with regards to ability, but Id say st endas and cloughmills should be division 3, not 4.  Especially St Endas who are division 2 in Antrim.  One, two and three will be tight.  Id say loughgiel or ballygalget will win div1, with cusendun or lamh dearg winning division 2.  3 will be very hard to call with strabane, setanta, randalstown, cuchulains, newry and glenarm fighting it out.  St Endas and cloughmills will be favourites for 4 while Ballymena or Four Masters will win 5
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

maxpower

The credibilty of the competition is considerably damaged by the absence of the ulster champions.  For a dual club like ourselves its a concern that a hurling only club is pulling out of this competition.  It is hard to judge the value of this competition until we see the full fixture list for the Antrim leagues and how it all fits together. 
What happens next????

MadMick007

I don't believe the league is weakend by not having Cushendal involved. Looking at Division one there is many great games ahead and with the structure of qtr finals etc to look forward to I believe the Ulster league is the future and soon we will see no Antrim, Derry or Down senior leagues with the Ulster being the premier competition.
Cushendal probably pulled out to give players a rest. They have been involved in long seasons over the past few years.

theskull1

>:( >:(

HEY........I posted yesterday on this thread and it has been removed!!!!!!!

No cuss words!!
No offending anyone!!

Who could have done this?

>:( >:(
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

theskull1

Quote from: MadMick007 on January 30, 2007, 11:52:10 AM
I don't believe the league is weakend by not having Cushendal involved. Looking at Division one there is many great games ahead and with the structure of qtr finals etc to look forward to I believe the Ulster league is the future and soon we will see no Antrim, Derry or Down senior leagues with the Ulster being the premier competition.
Cushendal probably pulled out to give players a rest. They have been involved in long seasons over the past few years.

Mick....untill you see the team sheets, you really cannot say that there is many great games ahead. I have heard absolutely no one in the top tier ever mention "great games" when they spoke about this competition and I've talked to plenty. The only positive they could come out with was that at least they were getting games (hardly a positive I know but that was a good as it got). Cushendall used alot of reserves and young players in this league last year so you can hardly use rest as an excuse for thier senior players if they did play many in it last year. And if they are looking for a rest after their all ireland campaign, then why have they entered the North Antrim "warm up" league (which has been newly set up by NA who have a forthright Cushendall man as its chairman)? This argument doesn't hold up!! As Maxpower has said it doesn't say much if a hurling only club in Antrim do not enter this competition. With All County league games the day after, expect depleted squads and poor quality fair which will do nothing to bring the game on in Div 1 within Antrim.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Spiritof98

3B
Shane O Neills
Cuchulainn
Lisnaskea
Newry Shamrocks
Mac Cumhaills
Rasharkin
St Teresas

Anybody on the board from the above clubs, I'm with Cuchulianns,
I'll go back if Marsdens back

MadMick007

Skull, I think you are being very short sighted. You continually focus on the Antrim set up and games within Antrim. In order to progress Hurling in both Antrim and Ulster the standard has to be raised throughout the province. There is no point in Antrim winning the Ulster final by 20 points. In order to raise the standard we need a strong competition across the board and the Ulster league is the means to do this. What eventually will happen is that the Ulster league will take over as the main league by means of the Ulster council marketing it better and providing better incentives for teams to win there leagues. If we have a situation where the Ulster league is run in the summer months with top class games with all clubs playing their top players is this a bad thing or would you still want to see the Antrim league dominate? So as you can win Ulster by 20Pt's. Come on move on, especially in these changing times.