GAABoard's orangeman has a bad night's sleep

Started by ziggysego, April 17, 2008, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Military helicopters training for Iraq and Afghanistan have been keeping County Tyrone residents awake in the early hours, it has been claimed.

The Ministry of Defence confirmed the low-flying aircraft had been undertaking drills in an area above the village of Ardboe.

The SDLP has criticised the night-time manoeuvres, which it said were a throwback "to the bad old days".

Residents said the helicopters were flying just metres above their homes.

An MoD spokesman said: "The helicopters were being used as part of the rest of world operations. That means they were training for Iraq and Afghanistan."

He added: "In order for them to use the night-time equipment, they must go out at night.

"They must go out in more rural areas as the lights near a city make it bright. In the countryside it is pitch black."

SDLP assembly member Patsy McGlone said he has been contacted by a number of people around Ardboe complaining about the low-flying helicopters.

"I understand they may be training for Iraq, but if this is so, they can find somewhere else to practice their night-flying.

"This is like something from our bad old days, with cattle running frightened, hay scattered around and children being woken in the middle of the night.

"Ardboe is a quiet rural area and people there are as entitled as anyone else to a decent night's sleep.

"I have contacted the British-Irish Secretariat to demand an explanation, but most of all I will be looking for a firm commitment that nothing like this will happen again."

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7352291.stm
Testing Accessibility

Yes I Would

Thought this nonsense had ceased!!

Been no secret that British had been using six counties as a training ground up until recent years!

girt_giggler

This is a daily/nightly occurance in and around North Antrim

Two Hands FFS

Girt in the last week or so their have been a few about the area.

lynchbhoy

whats the problem
you get used to helicopters hovering over your house after a while and then when they are gone (as in recent years) it takes you a while to adjust to sleeping without that comforting noise!
:o

Fishbat

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 17, 2008, 04:13:48 PM
whats the problem
you get used to helicopters hovering over your house after a while and then when they are gone (as in recent years) it takes you a while to adjust to sleeping without that comforting noise!

Why not piss off and fly about Larne, Ballymena or Coleraine -  where the locals will no doubt be out in droves to cheer their hero's as they practice the best methods to terrorise Iraqi civilians

So the Bollixes are off the streets but still torturing the locals from the air.

F**k off to the moors and fly round there all ye's like

Zapatista

This graffiti was seen in a rural part of Tyrone one time after the IRA attacted a British Helicopter ;D

"They can travel by land, by sea or by sky but they will never beat the IRA and their GTI"

feetofflames

Had to laugh at the headline.  Does anyone else seriously believe Orangeman is who he says he is? To me he fits the character of a shit stirring, story seeking journalist, whether hes a Tyrone Fan or not I dont know, but I have strong suspicions - An Ardboe head he is most certainly not. So please dont tarnish the Ardboe folk with him.  Hes the biggest shit stirrer on this board
Chief Wiggum

theskull1

Quote from: Fishbat on April 17, 2008, 11:05:10 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 17, 2008, 04:13:48 PM
whats the problem

Why not piss off and fly about Larne, Ballymena or Coleraine -  where the locals will no doubt be out in droves to cheer their hero's as they practice the best methods to terrorise Iraqi civilians

So the Bollixes are off the streets but still torturing the locals from the air.

F**k off to the moors and fly round there all ye's like

They do plenty of training in the hills above Dunloy. Mainly daytime though
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera