Derry v Galway AISF Sat 9th July 5.30pm Croke Park

Started by screenexile, June 26, 2022, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

It's interesting how the whole tone of the conversation [and mostly among Derry wans, those slippery Galway lads are sayin nathin] is about Derry's defensive setup and how we will counteract the Galway forwards, with hardly a mention of what we might need to do in terms of an offensive strategy to win the game. Which is a reflection of how most people visualise the game I suppose.

I hope RG will be setting a different narrative. 

oakleaflad

Quote from: God14 on July 07, 2022, 04:57:26 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on July 07, 2022, 04:52:19 PM
Quote from: God14 on July 07, 2022, 04:22:22 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 07, 2022, 01:31:06 PM
McGrogan on Comer, McKaigue on Finnerty and Rogers on Walsh for me. Hammer the hammer!

I dont think McGrogan has the physicality for Comer. Bit of a mis match there. Whilst Derry will have +1 or +2 in close proximity to counter most problems, Gallagher wont want direct ball going into Comer.

Ideally Derry would put McKinless into midfield alongside Glass, to counter Galways pairing and give McDaid some attention. Im not actually sure they can afford to do that. I reckon he might need McKinless in defence for his match ups

Gallagher has a reputation for always getting his match ups right but this one is very tricky. I think he starts Ultra defensive with McKaigue on Walsh, Rogers on Comer, McGrogan on Finnerty & McKinless on Tierney. Glass to do a defensive number on McDaid.
I don't really agree with your matchups but who picks up Conroy in that scenario?

Yeah thats kinda my point, Galway have a fair few fires that need put out.  Patrick Kelly is also a bit of a handful, big powerful player. Johnny Heaney too.

To answer your question, Emmet Bradley on Conroy.
Big call. Hasn't started a game all year.

C Doherty and S Downey on Kelly and Heaney i'd imagine.

tbrick18

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 07, 2022, 04:58:17 PM
It's interesting how the whole tone of the conversation [and mostly among Derry wans, those slippery Galway lads are sayin nathin] is about Derry's defensive setup and how we will counteract the Galway forwards, with hardly a mention of what we might need to do in terms of an offensive strategy to win the game. Which is a reflection of how most people visualise the game I suppose.

I hope RG will be setting a different narrative. 

I think it's impossible to know.
The approach to Clare was a lot less defensive than previous games and gives a glimpse (perhaps) into Gallagher's mindset.
I'm also thinking back to the Ulster final....Rogers was marking Murphy, but given the freedom to go forward too. That also put Murphy on the back foot making him less effective in attack. Something similar could happen here.
Or Rogers could go to MF.
Or Glass could fall back into defence with ANOther going to MF, playing as yet another defender.
Fitness is there to attack at pace and use the full width of the pitch.

tbrick18

Quote from: oakleaflad on July 07, 2022, 05:02:27 PM
Quote from: God14 on July 07, 2022, 04:57:26 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on July 07, 2022, 04:52:19 PM
Quote from: God14 on July 07, 2022, 04:22:22 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 07, 2022, 01:31:06 PM
McGrogan on Comer, McKaigue on Finnerty and Rogers on Walsh for me. Hammer the hammer!

I dont think McGrogan has the physicality for Comer. Bit of a mis match there. Whilst Derry will have +1 or +2 in close proximity to counter most problems, Gallagher wont want direct ball going into Comer.

Ideally Derry would put McKinless into midfield alongside Glass, to counter Galways pairing and give McDaid some attention. Im not actually sure they can afford to do that. I reckon he might need McKinless in defence for his match ups

Gallagher has a reputation for always getting his match ups right but this one is very tricky. I think he starts Ultra defensive with McKaigue on Walsh, Rogers on Comer, McGrogan on Finnerty & McKinless on Tierney. Glass to do a defensive number on McDaid.
I don't really agree with your matchups but who picks up Conroy in that scenario?

Yeah thats kinda my point, Galway have a fair few fires that need put out.  Patrick Kelly is also a bit of a handful, big powerful player. Johnny Heaney too.

To answer your question, Emmet Bradley on Conroy.
Big call. Hasn't started a game all year.

C Doherty and S Downey on Kelly and Heaney i'd imagine.

I'd personally keep Bradley for the last 20.
Strong, impactful sub, can take a score, run at defence, hold possession and win his own ball in the air. Lets Derry change tactics and injects some experience into the final quarter.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Taylor on July 07, 2022, 11:57:50 AM
Will this be as close as the Clare game?

I know the majority of you Derry wans were saying the same thing prior to that game

Are you comparing Clare to Galway?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Captain Scarlet

That last game will have brought Galway on so much, compared to Derry v Clare.
But it showed them they can open up if they are let. Galway fans are being very very cagey overall...

There are a lot of big mobile men out there and I just hope the ref lets them get stuck in and is not whistle happy. I'd say Walsh will get a bit more protection this time out and if he is moving freely he is awesome at times...but get at him and in his face and he can drift.

Somehow, Derry still seem to be flying below the radar for me. Like they are bringing massive numbers but there almost seems to be more talk of other teams all year.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

marty34

Quote from: God14 on July 07, 2022, 12:37:21 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 07, 2022, 12:12:08 PM
Quote from: Lucifer on July 07, 2022, 12:00:06 PM
Quote from: Silver hill on July 06, 2022, 10:59:54 PM

....maybe if they'd played their last game 2 days ago but a two week break takes tiredness out of the equation. Derry are the fittest of the 4 teams left and showed in all games thus far that they have the legs coming down the stretch. Just look at glass's GPS for the Ulster final- 18km ( even allowing for the extra 20 mins) that's off the charts running.
Our bench might be our Achilles heel if we pick up a couple of injuries. Emmett Bradley is a super option and would love to see a fully fit Paudie Tad unleashed in CP. after that, it's light enough. A full press on our kickout is also a worry if Galway decide to go down that route though unlikely as I think Joyce will keep cover to try to prevent exposure when we break quickly. It's intriguing, looking forward to it.

Just looking at match ups and Paudie seems like a good fit for Patrick Kelly, albeit maybe he doesn't have enough football behind him to be given a starting role.  I think if he was, it would help the match ups fit better in the Derry defence. 

Who will mark Walsh and Comer?  I think Derry have a bit of a conundrum in terms of match ups; I expect one of McKinless or Rogers to be on McDaid which means only one can be in defence.  Could McKaigue take up Comer and McCloskey or McGrogan take up Walsh, with the other on Finnerty?  That would leave Rogers free to go on Tierney/McDaid/Kelly and give him a platform to do his usual marauding as well.  Obviously any defence will be as much about a system, but the match ups will be key too and Derry have a lot more questions in how they are going to go about it than Galway.

At the other end it seems nailed on that Sean Kelly will take up McGuigan wherever he goes, but if he ends up venturing out with McGuigan it could leave the Galway FB line even more exposed.  Derry don't have a real ball winning FF to exploit that but it would be interesting if the likes of Glass drifted in occasionally and was left competing with Conroy at FB.

The potential Ethan Doherty v Molloy match up will be a great contest too.

It could be a more cagey opening to this game than anticipated, it might take a while to settle.

What does this mean?

I hear it all the time.

Aerial presence & athleticism? Ability to win 50/50 ball & score

Mc Guigan, Heron and Loughlin can all win their own ball and score.

These kind of wishy-washy statements that people throw out all the time.

Like we must play the Down Way. I mean, wtf does statements like that mean.

Too much listening to coaches who talk a good game. 

Blowitupref

65k the expected attendance for Saturdays double header. If it was a stand alone game would probably be looking at 35 to 40k?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Wildweasel74

Well how many do Galway bring, I say Derry be 20k

NotedObserver

Quote from: marty34 on July 07, 2022, 05:43:06 PM
Quote from: God14 on July 07, 2022, 12:37:21 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 07, 2022, 12:12:08 PM
Quote from: Lucifer on July 07, 2022, 12:00:06 PM
Quote from: Silver hill on July 06, 2022, 10:59:54 PM

....maybe if they'd played their last game 2 days ago but a two week break takes tiredness out of the equation. Derry are the fittest of the 4 teams left and showed in all games thus far that they have the legs coming down the stretch. Just look at glass's GPS for the Ulster final- 18km ( even allowing for the extra 20 mins) that's off the charts running.
Our bench might be our Achilles heel if we pick up a couple of injuries. Emmett Bradley is a super option and would love to see a fully fit Paudie Tad unleashed in CP. after that, it's light enough. A full press on our kickout is also a worry if Galway decide to go down that route though unlikely as I think Joyce will keep cover to try to prevent exposure when we break quickly. It's intriguing, looking forward to it.

Just looking at match ups and Paudie seems like a good fit for Patrick Kelly, albeit maybe he doesn't have enough football behind him to be given a starting role.  I think if he was, it would help the match ups fit better in the Derry defence. 

Who will mark Walsh and Comer?  I think Derry have a bit of a conundrum in terms of match ups; I expect one of McKinless or Rogers to be on McDaid which means only one can be in defence.  Could McKaigue take up Comer and McCloskey or McGrogan take up Walsh, with the other on Finnerty?  That would leave Rogers free to go on Tierney/McDaid/Kelly and give him a platform to do his usual marauding as well.  Obviously any defence will be as much about a system, but the match ups will be key too and Derry have a lot more questions in how they are going to go about it than Galway.

At the other end it seems nailed on that Sean Kelly will take up McGuigan wherever he goes, but if he ends up venturing out with McGuigan it could leave the Galway FB line even more exposed.  Derry don't have a real ball winning FF to exploit that but it would be interesting if the likes of Glass drifted in occasionally and was left competing with Conroy at FB.

The potential Ethan Doherty v Molloy match up will be a great contest too.

It could be a more cagey opening to this game than anticipated, it might take a while to settle.

What does this mean?

I hear it all the time.

Aerial presence & athleticism? Ability to win 50/50 ball & score

Mc Guigan, Heron and Loughlin can all win their own ball and score.

These kind of wishy-washy statements that people throw out all the time.

Like we must play the Down Way. I mean, wtf does statements like that mean.

Too much listening to coaches who talk a good game.

Loughlin quiet the last day out but expecting a big game from him as may be overlooked

seafoid

Some analyst was talking about Derry defenders man-marking Galway forwards.  Even the non famous Galway forwards showed up against Armagh. Derry can't do it for all 6. If they do the half backs won't be running anywhere.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lenny

Quote from: seafoid on July 07, 2022, 10:16:40 PM
Some analyst was talking about Derry defenders man-marking Galway forwards.  Even the non famous Galway forwards showed up against Armagh. Derry can't do it for all 6. If they do the half backs won't be running anywhere.

That's the problem. Derry have been content for certain opposition players to have the ball knowing they're no danger. Galway have so many scoring forwards plus both midfielders and defenders like molloy and silke who can all score. It's gonna make it very difficult for Derry.

screenexile

Quote from: lenny on July 07, 2022, 10:22:56 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 07, 2022, 10:16:40 PM

That's the problem. Derry have been content for certain opposition players to have the ball knowing they're no danger. Galway have so many scoring forwards plus both midfielders and defenders like molloy and silke who can all score. It's gonna make it very difficult for Derry.

I think it'll be close to the Donegal game where we'll be ultra ultra defensive without the ball but more offensive when we have the ball with big numbers pushed up to the D to cause Galway problems.

Heard various reasons as to why we lose or why Galway lose and they're all valid just hope we give a good account of ourselves and if we win great!

PMG1

Match ups will be Rogers on Comer, McKaigue on Finnerty, McCloskey on Walsh, McKinless
On McDaid, Silke on McGuigan and Kelly on Loughlin

Eire90

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 07, 2022, 08:49:49 PM
65k the expected attendance for Saturdays double header. If it was a stand alone game would probably be looking at 35 to 40k?

how many will go  home after tailteaan cup