Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
59 (38.8%)
Failure
60 (39.5%)
Too early to say
33 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 152

naka

tbf probably the first time i ever agreed with Pat.
finals at end of August wouldn`t be that catastrophic.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Franko

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 21, 2022, 03:26:08 PM

Pat Spillane has explained why he thinks playing All-Ireland Finals in July is "stupid".

"I'm against the split season."
While club championships are now well underway, Spillane feels that the GAA are missing a trick by curtailing the inter-county season so early.

"I'm completely against the split season," the former RTE pundit told the Irish Independent.

"We have taken our two best products, inter-county hurling and football, and taken them off the shop window for nine months.

"It's absolutely stupid."
"Now, when you take your best product out of the shop window for nine months, you give the opposition a chance. Maybe we're not going to go as far as the third Sunday in September to play an All-Ireland final, but at least take back the month of August.

"People say, 'oh, you're only saying that because you used to get paid for The Sunday Game' and that's a load of rubbish. I'm passionate about the GAA and a passionate GAA man, a passionate clubman and I like to see the GAA thriving.

"We've lost the month of August, we've lost the month of September and the main national papers are not talking about club matches. We're not talking about club matches and we're losing that opportunity for inter-county games, we need to change it. It's an own goal.

"It's absolutely stupid playing an All-Ireland in the middle of July. The funds for grassroots come from the inter-county game so without a vibrant inter-county calendar, we're cutting off our noses to spite our faces," he said.

Again, I'd ask that Pat put a figure against the hyperbole

What exactly is this costing?

Then we can assess as objectively as possible against the clear benefits that the clubs have felt

Regarding the national papers - perhaps they aren't, but I know the regional ones around me have been providing great coverage of the club games.  Maybe the small regional papers are another benefit here?

Maybe the GAA fans should stop buying the national papers until they provide some decent coverage of the games?

Maybe RTE could do a midweek round up of the games around the country (and send cameras to a couple?)

Maybe we should just accept that the GAA is not about money - the absolute CORE of the GAA are the volunteers and club players

Maybe having a few quid less floating around the clubs will stop the GAA leaking funds to the mercenary managers

Maybe we could cut the payments to the GPA leeches - it might stop the relentless push towards professionalism, which fcuked club Rugby in Ireland

Or maybe... just maybe... for once in this f**king materialistic shite hole of a country - we shouldn't sacrifice something we hold dear on the altar of money

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 21, 2022, 03:26:08 PM

Pat Spillane has explained why he thinks playing All-Ireland Finals in July is "stupid".

"I'm against the split season."
While club championships are now well underway, Spillane feels that the GAA are missing a trick by curtailing the inter-county season so early.

"I'm completely against the split season," the former RTE pundit told the Irish Independent.

"We have taken our two best products, inter-county hurling and football, and taken them off the shop window for nine months.

"It's absolutely stupid."
"Now, when you take your best product out of the shop window for nine months, you give the opposition a chance. Maybe we're not going to go as far as the third Sunday in September to play an All-Ireland final, but at least take back the month of August.

"People say, 'oh, you're only saying that because you used to get paid for The Sunday Game' and that's a load of rubbish. I'm passionate about the GAA and a passionate GAA man, a passionate clubman and I like to see the GAA thriving.

"We've lost the month of August, we've lost the month of September and the main national papers are not talking about club matches. We're not talking about club matches and we're losing that opportunity for inter-county games, we need to change it. It's an own goal.

"It's absolutely stupid playing an All-Ireland in the middle of July. The funds for grassroots come from the inter-county game so without a vibrant inter-county calendar, we're cutting off our noses to spite our faces," he said.

I think finals in September made the season too long. The huge amount of games between both codes in July this year was very enjoyable, got down to Kerry's win over the Dubs and it was a great atmosphere. Maybe the season could be stretched out to mid August because most counties didn't start championship until then anyway. The GAA has to be about more than just intercounty on the TV, club players need a decent championship every year.

Blowitupref

2023 season that's proposed

JANUARY

Under the proposal, the new season will begin with All-Ireland senior club football semi-finals in the second week of January with the finals in both codes taking place on 21 or 22 January.

A week later the Allianz Football and Hurling Leagues will begin.

FEBRUARY

The Sigerson Cup final is down for 15 February with the Fitzgibbon Cup decider three days later.

MARCH

The next key landmark is the start of the Under-20 football championship, which will not commence until 18 and 19 March at the earliest.

With such pressure on the fixtures calendar, and to allow breathing space between the end of the football league relegation games and the start of the provincial championships, the GAA's Competitions Control Committee will this weekend request that there are no league finals across the four football divisions, allowing a two-week gap before the start of the championships.

APRIL

Hurling league finals will take place on the weekend of 1/2 April. The provincial football series will begin a week later.

MAY

Provincial finals will take place early May.

The new format, if passed at Central Council level, would see both the qualifiers for the Sam Maguire and Tailteann Cup competitions played across three weekends, starting on 18 May.

JUNE

The All-Ireland football quarter-finals are down for the start of June under the proposed new draft.

In hurling, the move to play both the Leinster and Munster showpieces on the same day will attract plenty of debate. If the new plan is adapted the Joe McDonagh Cup final could now take place before the All-Ireland U20 hurling final at the end of May.

JULY

The Tailteann Cup final is down for 15/16 July, with the All-Ireland hurling final taking place a week later. Under these proposals the All-Ireland football final will move from 23 to 30 July.

AUGUST AND EVERYTHING AFTER

The first weekend in August would facilitate a hurling final replay and also signal the start of county championships across the country. From week 32 until week 51, with the hurling semi-finals ending the season, the club championships will dominate the calendar
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Eire90

Blowitupref

Emlyn Mulligan of Leitrim

QuoteGetting the opportunity to represent Leitrim in a league final in CROKE PARK in 2019 is the probably the highlight of my career.

The opportunities to play there for Division 3&4 teams especially are rear, the league final gives players that chance.

Don't fix what's not broken!
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

If they only have 7 months why do they have to start in January ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eire90

insead of getting rid of league finals maybe split the league into two groups of 4 open draw tho not the geographical thing they had during covid.In each division and then the top  two play semi finals and final with bottom in each group relegated  and maybe you  could do  an inter group match aswell so each team plays 4 group league games and then a semi and final which be 6 games maximum

Rossfan

Blowitupref

All Ireland final pushed back to the last week in July and the League finals will be played this next year.  HQ didn't get their way yet but will try again next year.

joemamas

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 24, 2022, 02:54:35 PM
All Ireland final pushed back to the last week in July and the League finals will be played this next year.  HQ didn't get their way yet but will try again next year.

So stupid, they could not put it back three weeks to mid August.
I have spoken to a lot of genuine GAA folk and to a person they have all said it was dumb having the all-irelands in July. Most agreed that late September was not on, most settled on mid August as a compromise, except the powers to be in Croke Park.
As of July 2 2023, there will be four county teams left in the 2023 championship. This will result in a huge amount of younger county players going abroad to places like Chicago Boston, NY etc, from June onwards .Who can blame them they will have put six or seven months of hard slogging and little or no out or socializing. In addition, most county championships will not begin until mid to late August.
The PR departments of soccer and rugger organizations must be delighted with the as are probably RTE.
I personally haven't watch as much premier league soccer in August for about twenty years.

Rossfan

RedHand88

Had held back on voting in the poll until I saw how it played out with the club season.

I voted failure. The county championship felt rushed, with little build up between games. Always liked the way the County championship ran throughout the summer.
Clubs are still going to be playing on dark wet pitches in October which I thought was supposed to be avoided with this setup. What was the point?