Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
60 (38.5%)
Failure
63 (40.4%)
Too early to say
33 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 156

seafoid

Re next year with tailteann and 4x4

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/green-proposal-for-football-championship-reform-likely-to-get-green-light-1.4782418

Principles were: raising the standard by providing more games at an appropriate level for all teams but especially developing counties; retaining positive aspects of the current system; avoiding dead rubbers, fitting the available footprint; retaining current opportunities to be a winner and give all teams a chance of winning Sam Maguire; be easy to understand and have public acceptance.
Modify message
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 21, 2022, 02:55:47 PM
With a more congested season next year HQ are already looking at what they can drop to make room. Connacht GAA chief John Prenty has called for league finals to be scrapped.

Why not go the whole hog and scrap the league itself? And the provincials? And the early rounds of the championship while we're at it?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

twohands!!!

Anyone else think that attendances at club matches is up a fair bit this year?

Not sure if it's all due to the split-season but been at a couple of games the last few weeks and from what I've seen the crowds seem very good/excellent.

The fine weather is obviously a help and it's hard to guage especially compared to the recent COVID seasons and whether some of it is a bit of post-COVID/locdown bounce but one of the games I was at at the weekend I met a "neutral" fella in his 70s who mentioned he'd came along to watch partly due to the fine day and how it was great conditions for a game and it set me thinking. I was looking around and there definitely seemed to be more kids and families there. Club treasurer mentioned in passing last week crowds were up a good bit. Meant to ask him for more detail but conversation moved on and forgot. Any thoughts?

Rossfan

In previous years you had Club championship games in August in Counties which were out of the AIs.
But they had to compete with big games on TV and were being played at 6pm on Sunday evenings.
Now no big gaelic games on TV, all County teams finished and games at more suitable times on Sunday afternoons.

Milltown Row2

The weather has certainly helped to be fair (better weather in August  ;) )

Was at our intermediate hurling group game and all the seats were taken, fair wee crowd at it for Friday night hurling (Eire90 will be wetting his pants at that info) 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

joemamas

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 24, 2022, 03:50:09 PM
The weather has certainly helped to be fair (better weather in August  ;) )

Was at our intermediate hurling group game and all the seats were taken, fair wee crowd at it for Friday night hurling (Eire90 and his ten aliases will be wetting his pantsat that info)

Diaper

Fixed that for you

Franko

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 24, 2022, 11:12:11 AM
Anyone else think that attendances at club matches is up a fair bit this year?

Not sure if it's all due to the split-season but been at a couple of games the last few weeks and from what I've seen the crowds seem very good/excellent.

The fine weather is obviously a help and it's hard to guage especially compared to the recent COVID seasons and whether some of it is a bit of post-COVID/locdown bounce but one of the games I was at at the weekend I met a "neutral" fella in his 70s who mentioned he'd came along to watch partly due to the fine day and how it was great conditions for a game and it set me thinking. I was looking around and there definitely seemed to be more kids and families there. Club treasurer mentioned in passing last week crowds were up a good bit. Meant to ask him for more detail but conversation moved on and forgot. Any thoughts?

Definitely more buzz about the clubs this year.

But fcuk that

Marketing

Captain Scarlet

Definitely more at the games in Kildare from what I can see.
I see John Duggan is digging in on Twitter saying that he misses the championship and if we all love the club game so much then why were the club finals never sold out.
He is packaging it as if you are fan of club games, as opposed to a fan of your own club and neutrals tend to go to the county finals.

The Indo is doing another listicle on the best county team to do some shite or another in the past 25 years. Such absilute spoofers.

In Kildare two weeks ago Johnny Doyle missed his first championship game for his club since 1995!! It was picked up a bit after the club tweeted it, but that is a great feature there.

Big Dan still playing for Lismore and I bet there are 100s of other great stories all over the country...but if #TheToughest are not sending these lads on a junket and plopping a county star in front of them they don't care.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

yellowcard

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 06, 2022, 10:43:18 AM
Definitely more at the games in Kildare from what I can see.
I see John Duggan is digging in on Twitter saying that he misses the championship and if we all love the club game so much then why were the club finals never sold out.
He is packaging it as if you are fan of club games, as opposed to a fan of your own club and neutrals tend to go to the county finals.

The Indo is doing another listicle on the best county team to do some shite or another in the past 25 years. Such absilute spoofers.

In Kildare two weeks ago Johnny Doyle missed his first championship game for his club since 1995!! It was picked up a bit after the club tweeted it, but that is a great feature there.

Big Dan still playing for Lismore and I bet there are 100s of other great stories all over the country...but if #TheToughest are not sending these lads on a junket and plopping a county star in front of them they don't care.

There is a disconnect between the casual armchair sports event junkie and the grassroots GAA club member/coach/volunteer/player when it comes to this issue. I don't know John Duggan but he strikes me as being one of the former. The sports media are pushing this narrative but the vast majority involved at club level appreciate the change in favour of grass roots members as well as the players of both the club and county game.     

Rossfan

I suppose it comes down to whether you want to please the playing membership or the casual armchair/ big game follower.

Captain Scarlet

Yeah, lookit we all know that the casuals bring a lot of money in but that lad is in the national media. He is not a casual fan, it's his job to report on sport and there is a lot going on.

They are too fond of the going along to chatting the biggest names at some sponsored event to actually do the job of a sports journalist in finding stories and they are the ones keeping the debate going.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 06, 2022, 05:18:34 PM
Yeah, lookit we all know that the casuals bring a lot of money in but that lad is in the national media. He is not a casual fan, it's his job to report on sport and there is a lot going on.

They are too fond of the going along to chatting the biggest names at some sponsored event to actually do the job of a sports journalist in finding stories and they are the ones keeping the debate going.

Do these sports jouno's only cover inter county GAA? have they no depth to their craft? Haven't bought at paper in what feels like 15 years, any news is picked up from links on here.. Which is worrying as my daughter is starting a journalism and media degree this year!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on September 06, 2022, 11:08:44 AM
I suppose it comes down to whether you want to please the playing membership or the casual armchair/ big game follower.
Which group provides the money? Maybe look there
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on September 08, 2022, 09:03:06 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 06, 2022, 11:08:44 AM
Which group provides the money? Maybe look there

Its the 39 armchair/no club/never played viewers on that poll