Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Itchy on November 02, 2021, 08:40:49 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 02, 2021, 04:01:15 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 02, 2021, 02:04:23 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 02, 2021, 01:56:55 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 02, 2021, 01:36:41 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on November 02, 2021, 01:29:29 PM
I would not let my son join the psni even though i support them and feel they are greatly improved service.

How would you stop him joining? I expect he would be an adult at the time of application. Me, I dont trust them and I doubt i ever will when they go around with a crown on their jackets.

Do you not live in Free State? maybe im wrong

I do, your not wrong. Not claiming to have know PSNI better than you boys.

Its our business up here, we dont need free state wannabe chuckies firing fuel to a fire they know nowt about.

Let me know when you officially speak on behalf of everyone in the North, ie when you are 1st minister or equivalent.

I've more right than you, now batter on somewhere else where you actually might know what you are talking about

Applesisapples

I know many Catholic Police officers, their reasons for joining vary from just needing a job to actually embracing a career in policing. The PSNI are undoubtedly not like the RUC of old. Those criticising them for holding on to some of history of the RUC in memorials etc, miss the point that to Unionism for good or ill the RUC is important and as nationalists we need to respect that otherwise we can't demand respect for our heritage. More needs to be done on all sides to increase the number of serving officers from the nationalist/republican community. That puts the onus on us to accept that if our neighbour joins, then just as we would with a Garda we should make sure that he can still play for his local GAA club, that he can still live down the road and feel wanted and safe. To many in our community there is still the whiff of cordite of the PSNI in the way that to many Unionists SF and our community have a whiff of it as well. That needs to change. I know also of a number of serving officers who have been pressed by senior officers to move to safer areas or to change from their local club because of the area it is in. That also is wrong and SF and the SDLP need to push the PSNI to take more steps internally to help officers remain within that community. Any civilised society needs policing and it can only be done from within. The PSNI is attempting to do that. The biggest obstacle to most you Catholics joining is rejection perceived or real from their own and the ambivalence may of us still have towards policing.

Milltown Row2

So if (to some) the PNSI is not workable, what's the alternative? I don't want to hear it'll be better in a UI as that's not going to happen any day soon, so if we look at it properly, is it a case of getting rid of any police officer over a certain age (ie old RUC officers, couldnt be that many left tbf) and look at changing the management of the police?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 03, 2021, 12:01:30 PM
So if (to some) the PNSI is not workable, what's the alternative? I don't want to hear it'll be better in a UI as that's not going to happen any day soon, so if we look at it properly, is it a case of getting rid of any police officer over a certain age (ie old RUC officers, couldnt be that many left tbf) and look at changing the management of the police?

They're inclined to bring in these top cops from GB as chief constable in the hope that the optics change but we all know they're fĂșcked before they start as the "culture" is maintained by top and middle management on an operational basis. The poor sod in there now doesn't know what day it is...

Itchy

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 02, 2021, 11:23:45 PM
I would not let my son join the psni even though i support them and feel they are greatly improved service.

How would you stop him joining? I expect he would be an adult at the time of application. Me, I dont trust them and I doubt i ever will when they go around with a crown on their jackets.

Its our business up here, we dont need free state wannabe chuckies firing fuel to a fire they know nowt about.

Let me know when you officially speak on behalf of everyone in the North, ie when you are 1st minister or equivalent.

I've more right than you, now batter on somewhere else where you actually might know what you are talking about

You and I have no more right than each other to claim to speak on behalf of other people. Until you get elected I suppose that would remain the case. The difference is I spoke on behalf of my own opinion and you claimed to speak on behalf of others. You also don't decide who can or can not post on a thread nor can you decide what a woman does with her body. I think you are a bit of a slow learner.

WT4E

I wouldn't mind nationalists from my area joining (There aren't any) - just not my family..... I think there in lies the problem! :(

bennydorano

I wouldn't be a Cop anywhere in the world, cannot see the attraction of the job at all. Can't say I'd be overly enthusiastic if some of my kids wanted to join the PSNI (or Garda or any force tbh).

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on November 03, 2021, 12:42:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 03, 2021, 12:01:30 PM

They're inclined to bring in these top cops from GB as chief constable in the hope that the optics change but we all know they're fĂșcked before they start as the "culture" is maintained by top and middle management on an operational basis. The poor sod in there now doesn't know what day it is...

So as I and most suspect, get rid of the management and civil servants who have been making decisions that continually blow up in their face's.. (defo no pun intended)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

smort

And todays main story on Talkback on radio ulster sure as hell wouldn't encourage anyone to join the psni

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-59147597

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on November 03, 2021, 01:17:46 PM
I wouldn't be a Cop anywhere in the world, cannot see the attraction of the job at all. Can't say I'd be overly enthusiastic if some of my kids wanted to join the PSNI (or Garda or any force tbh).

Nor would I, but that isn't the answer to policing in the north though, your attitude towards policing will not make it work any better either.

I've a daughter doing criminology at Queens, policing has never came up as a pathway, and not everyone follows the route led out by the degree they take, but she may go down that route, she has never grown up in an area that looked at the police historically as I did, plus she was born at the time of the PSNI, she's not stupid either, being a woman in the police service isn't a pleasant place, that will take decades to change so that will also be a reason not to go down that road.

The question is whether it would sit well with me, its very easy, she'll be an adult and she'll make her own decisions and I'll support her as a father would. You can't and shouldn't take any other view on that really 

johnnycool

Quote from: smort on November 03, 2021, 01:24:54 PM
And todays main story on Talkback on radio ulster sure as hell wouldn't encourage anyone to join the psni

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-59147597

Listened to that alright.

Shocking but not surprising. Female employees in the lower ranks are fair game for a bit of a feel it seems.

Tony Baloney

The PSNI are an improvement, no point pretending they're not better than the RUC, but I'm not sure when we get to a point where the improvement is big enough for them to be welcomed by both sections of the community. Loyalists think they are in the pocket of SF and Nats/Reps think they are still run by Establishment Unionists/The Brits so maybe the fact that they are hated by everyone is a clear improvement  ;D

Tony Baloney

FWIW I wouldn't want any of my kids joining up primarily on grounds of personal safety. Ideology would be secondary but it would definitely be another reason for them not joining.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Itchy on November 03, 2021, 01:00:46 PM

You and I have no more right than each other to claim to speak on behalf of other people. Until you get elected I suppose that would remain the case. The difference is I spoke on behalf of my own opinion and you claimed to speak on behalf of others. You also don't decide who can or can not post on a thread nor can you decide what a woman does with her body. I think you are a bit of a slow learner.

you started off with an unhelpful comment, the type of shit that comes from people living removed in relative safety from the problem. Mind your own business or start a thread up about the guards. As i said a wannabe free state chucky.

Itchy

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 03, 2021, 11:22:04 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 03, 2021, 01:00:46 PM

you started off with an unhelpful comment, the type of shit that comes from people living removed in relative safety from the problem. Mind your own business or start a thread up about the guards. As i said a wannabe free state chucky.

Unhelpful? I wasn't aware all posts would be vetted by the boards religious police (ie you) for a helpfulness like in Saudi Arabia, but sure then I shouldn't be surprised that a nasty little right wing religious nut like you would look to Saudi for inspiration. Are there any other criteria we all need to be adhering to?