Brawl at Wicklow U15 match

Started by The Wedger, October 11, 2021, 05:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louther

This will go the usual way.

Shock and outrage at the clip for days on end.
Wicklow GAA announce an investigation.
HQ GAA will say nothing - it's a matter for local county board. 
Investigation will be done quietly over few months.
Clubs circle the wagons - no names given, looked worse than it was, we seen nothing. 
Few suspensions handed out.
Outrage at suspensions.
Appealed and cut in half.
Carry on same as normal.

People will shout and call for heavy punishment but no one will be willing to hand it out or make the decision on it.

Itchy

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 12, 2021, 01:00:12 PM
A fine only punishes the clubs who struggle financially.

I agree with wobbler. The only way to have these people ostracised from their clubs is to piss the rest of the club off. A fine is unlikely to do that. A whole club championship ban will.

Ban the kids from playing cos their parents went fighting? All I saw in that video was kids in shock wandering around as adults thumped each other. Totally disagree with banning club from competing.

thewobbler

Quote from: Itchy on October 12, 2021, 01:59:01 PM

I agree with wobbler. The only way to have these people ostracised from their clubs is to piss the rest of the club off. A fine is unlikely to do that. A whole club championship ban will.

Ban the kids from playing cos their parents went fighting? All I saw in that video was kids in shock wandering around as adults thumped each other. Totally disagree with banning club from competing.

It's not banning kids from playing. It's banning clubs from competing.

They may mean the same thing to you. But they're not.

Rudi

Carnew V Kilcoole, Carnew is a village described as a Protestant enclave. Carnew lost, after the final whistle a Carnew player was sent off. Possible sledging.

whitey

I was talking to someone over the weekend who has kids playing at u6 and u10 level

They told me that they were at a challenge match and one of the mothers was "encouraging really rough play".

If a parent is encouraging either 6 or 10 year olds to start flaking all around them at at challenge match they should seek psychiatric help never mind getting banned from attending matches

RedHand88

Quote from: Rudi on October 12, 2021, 02:23:29 PM
Carnew V Kilcoole, Carnew is a village described as a Protestant enclave. Carnew lost, after the final whistle a Carnew player was sent off. Possible sledging.

Rudi

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 12, 2021, 03:26:40 PM

;D ;)

Farrandeelin

Was it Carnew that bundled the ref in the boot of the car too? Some history of 'taking it a bit too far' if it was!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Itchy

Quote from: thewobbler on October 12, 2021, 02:09:31 PM

So explain it to me. How does a kid play football during a season when their club is banned from competition.

bigarsedkeeper

It never sticks though. Through appeals or whatever it ends up not being enforced.

And you're right on the club trying to deal with it themselves - even if you do it by the book it just causes a split. Your dealing with families you've grew up with etc. Impossible to get right from the inside.

thewobbler

Quote from: Itchy on October 12, 2021, 03:46:38 PM

So explain it to me. How does a kid play football during a season when their club is banned from competition.

They don't.

But it's not the kids that are getting punished. It's the club as a whole. Not the u15s. The real punishment is not to the kids, who can transfer, okay other sports, etc, but instead it's what happens to a club when all this is going on. It's a proper punishment.

Whereas if any club-wide sanction is going to be met with "won't someone think of the children?" winning out the day, then there can be no such thing as a club-wide sanction.

Fines are not just a waste of time, but extraordinarily inegalitarian. Rich clubs will sign the cheques. Financial basket cases will refuse to pay, and eventually will win out with a sob story. The clubs in the middle get it rough, but never quite rough enough to start handing out internal sanctions.

thewobbler

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on October 12, 2021, 03:50:30 PM

It never sticks though. Through appeals or whatever it ends up not being enforced.

And you're right on the club trying to deal with it themselves - even if you do it by the book it just causes a split. Your dealing with families you've grew up with etc. Impossible to get right from the inside.

Eventually there'll be an incident so vile that the punishment will stick.

Itchy

Quote from: thewobbler on October 12, 2021, 03:57:06 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 12, 2021, 03:46:38 PM

They don't.

But it's not the kids that are getting punished. It's the club as a whole. Not the u15s. The real punishment is not to the kids, who can transfer, okay other sports, etc, but instead it's what happens to a club when all this is going on. It's a proper punishment.

Whereas if any club-wide sanction is going to be met with "won't someone think of the children?" winning out the day, then there can be no such thing as a club-wide sanction.

Fines are not just a waste of time, but extraordinarily inegalitarian. Rich clubs will sign the cheques. Financial basket cases will refuse to pay, and eventually will win out with a sob story. The clubs in the middle get it rough, but never quite rough enough to start handing out internal sanctions.

On what grounds can a child transfer? This is the GAA not soccer. You are punishing everyone, not just the club. I understand the difficulties but I dont think that proposal is fair to innocent youth players.

J70

What about setting a lesson for kids that the GAA will not indulge or tolerate thuggery? That there are consequences, that the members are representing their club and the clubs are responsible for the conduct of their members?

Captain Obvious

Some on the that video should be ashamed of themselves. The GAA should not hold back on the punishment given.