Started by RedHand88, July 31, 2021, 05:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Tyrone by 1-3
Tyrone by 4+
Kerry by 1-3
Kerry by 4+

StPatsAbu

Cahir O'Kane has suggested that regardless of player welfare concerns Tyrone should have fielded this weekend whether players were suffering from Covid or not. Jesus wept, pray such fcuktards get removed from active society

Milltown Row2

Quote from: StPatsAbu on August 19, 2021, 12:46:14 AM
Cahir O'Kane has suggested that regardless of player welfare concerns Tyrone should have fielded this weekend whether players were suffering from Covid or not. Jesus wept, pray such fcuktards get removed from active society

As long as the Tyrone medical set up and coaches don't put pressure on sick or unhealthy players to play, the players welfare is paramount
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ball Hopper

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 17, 2021, 10:37:19 PM
Is there many Kerry posters left on here? Ball Hopper and??? Kerry Mike and Mike Sheehy long gone.

I'd say I'm on my own here, but don't post as often these days.  I have, however, seen nearly all the games this year and am looking forward to a great semi-final.  I'd say Kerry are looking to win in an old-fashioned shoot-out.  It might resemble the 1980 semi-final, 4-15 to 4-10, only 5 points of a win - but there was ever only going to be one winner.

Gavin Whyte and Conor McKenna could battle each other in some serious speed-work up and down one wing.

Cathal McShane, if near full fitness, could take Matt Connor's Offaly role from 1980.

How will Tyrone handle Paudie Clifford?  David Clifford has taken quite the fall from Best on Planet to Second in Your Own House, but will still cause problems.  Sean O'Shea will convert every free plus another few from play...but I think Paul Geaney scoring goals is the key.   Stopping the other three from feeding him is the challenge.  The Kerry forwards are very adept at close passing in very congested quarters before someone finally has room to swing a leg at it and it goes over the bar - Killian Spillane gets his few points this way in each game.

The Kerry corner backs, O'Beaglaoich and Tom O'Sullivan are well able to take scores, so allowing them to wander upfield (even if chasing their man) could prove interesting on the scoreboard.

But the real difference could well be Tommy Walsh and the mark in the final 20 minutes.  He could easily pick up 5 or 6 points without breaking a sweat if the likes of Diarmuid O'Connor and other subs like Adrian Spillane can steer reasonably flighted balls toward Tommy.

Kerry backs won't dominate and will do well if they get a "reasonable" ranking - that should mean enough ball for the Kerry forwards to do their thing.

Could Kerry do the unthinkable...and use a scubadoir, expecting 4 or 5 forwards to score enough at the other end?  Uncle Pat would have some fun talking about that.

The other noticeable thing about the Kerry players is their individual strength this year - rarely is anyone knocked off the ball and all are well able to take and give a shoulder.

Areas of concern - kick out strategy never tested; can David Moran last 50-55 mins; subs in the backs very similar to starters and probably won't improve the overall defending by much - Foley/Morley, O'Beaglaoich/Paul Murphy, Breen/Sherwood are some examples.  Keeper never really tested under high balls.

I'm looking forward to a run and gun trackmeet, where whatever set of backs is less porous than the other will win.

But there will be great scoring and I'm really looking forward to the Whyte/McKenna speed challenges, especially when they get to the fourth and fifth sprint of each half.

I'll stick with the goodguys, 4-15 to 4-10.

nrico2006

What a tube - trying to make a name for himself by being controversial.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JoG2

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 19, 2021, 10:15:05 AM

Better to read the article for yourself and not listen to Fr Jack's drunken ramblings

tiempo

Quote from: JoG2 on August 19, 2021, 10:57:05 AM

Better to read the article for yourself and not listen to Fr Jack's drunken ramblings

Can someone post it please. No doubt there is a reasonable debate to be had on that topic. How can 35 grant funded players be justified if you are gonna concede because a few front line men are ill (speculating here as the exact breakdown hasn't been put out). Don't the other 20+ get on with the job at hand and if needed pull a few in from the club scene to top up the bench? So you have a fella in mind for the 2022 season and you pull him in 6 months early, how's that any different to Ruairi Sludden or Colm McCullagh joining the panel mid season previously

trueblue1234

Quote from: tiempo on August 19, 2021, 11:13:58 AM

Can someone post it please. No doubt there is a reasonable debate to be had on that topic. How can 35 grant funded players be justified if you are gonna concede because a few front line men are ill (speculating here as the exact breakdown hasn't been put out). Don't the other 20+ get on with the job at hand and if needed pull a few in from the club scene to top up the bench? So you have a fella in mind for the 2022 season and you pull him in 6 months early, how's that any different to Ruairi Sludden or Colm McCullagh joining the panel mid season previously

I think someone returning to a panel is fair enough, but you would need to be careful with pulling younger "star" players in. The conditioning at senior level is a big step up. You can imagine the outcry if you pulled up a 20 year old and he got seriously injured.
I think it's a case of which was the easier and more sensible thing to do. Did it cause the GAA that much pain to move it back another week? I think this was the simple, fair and straightforward option.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

yellowcard

That article is from earlier in the week in the Irish News if it is the same one I am thinking of. I'm not sure if you actually read the article or simply seen the headline and just went off on a rant.

He basically said that the player welfare issue was one for Tyrone to deal with after assessing their players and that it wasn't the GAA's issue to solve. And when you stop to think of it logically, if the Tyrone management team relayed their concerns to players about the potential for getting ill for 2 weeks from taking the vaccine (as Fergal Logan appeared to suggest), then they shouldn't be looking to the GAA to assist with issues of player welfare when those unvaccinated players subsequently took ill from Covid.   

tiempo

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 19, 2021, 11:22:06 AM

I think someone returning to a panel is fair enough, but you would need to be careful with pulling younger "star" players in. The conditioning at senior level is a big step up. You can imagine the outcry if you pulled up a 20 year old and he got seriously injured.
I think it's a case of which was the easier and more sensible thing to do. Did it cause the GAA that much pain to move it back another week? I think this was the simple, fair and straightforward option.

Jes ye wouldn't get out of bed in the morning if ye took that approach to life. So Tyrone pull 3 or 4 star "23yos" and Colm Cav and Padraig McNulty back into the panel. For me that's easier than a fixture reschedule impacting tens of thousands of people.

Sorry I know its easy to be facetious, but just trying to be devils advocate. Anyway my prediction is this plays out again in the Tyrone club champ and the Tyrone CB who would stand by the county not fielding in an AI semi final turn around and tell clubs to get on with it or be put out of the competition... time will tell.

trueblue1234

Quote from: tiempo on August 19, 2021, 11:28:54 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 19, 2021, 11:22:06 AM

Jes ye wouldn't get out of bed in the morning if ye took that approach to life. So Tyrone pull 3 or 4 star "23yos" and Colm Cav and Padraig McNulty back into the panel. For me that's easier than a fixture reschedule impacting tens of thousands of people.

Sorry I know its easy to be facetious, but just trying to be devils advocate. Anyway my prediction is this plays out again in the Tyrone club champ and the Tyrone CB who would stand by the county not fielding in an AI semi final turn around and tell clubs to get on with it or be put out of the competition... time will tell.
Each to their own, but a week delay to me seems the simplest choice without downgrading the game itself to a bit of a farce.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

yellowcard

If Tyrone have any advantage it is that they have a game in Croke Park under their belts and that Kerry may have had a lot of momentum broken with the interminably long wait for a match. Players get into a rhythm of playing every week or two weeks so I'd imagine that the 5 week wait for a match will be very disruptive to them.

A lot depends on what side Tyrone are able to field. If they are near full strength and able to play with the level of aggression and intensity required for 70 minutes and they get a few breaks on the day then who knows, anything can happen in a once off match. Kerry will now be expected to win the All Ireland by their own supporters so there will be a different sort of pressure on them to win. Similar to Mayo, it is probably all about staying in the game for as long as possible for Tyrone and hoping that if it gets tight in the last 10 minutes that they can show greater desire and out muscle Kerry.

tonto1888

StPatsAbu is a tube alright

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on August 19, 2021, 12:05:36 PM
If Tyrone have any advantage it is that they have a game in Croke Park under their belts and that Kerry may have had a lot of momentum broken with the interminably long wait for a match. Players get into a rhythm of playing every week or two weeks so I'd imagine that the 5 week wait for a match will be very disruptive to them.

A lot depends on what side Tyrone are able to field. If they are near full strength and able to play with the level of aggression and intensity required for 70 minutes and they get a few breaks on the day then who knows, anything can happen in a once off match. Kerry will now be expected to win the All Ireland by their own supporters so there will be a different sort of pressure on them to win. Similar to Mayo, it is probably all about staying in the game for as long as possible for Tyrone and hoping that if it gets tight in the last 10 minutes that they can show greater desire and out muscle Kerry.

If twenty players have been affected by Covid then the last ten minutes will be in favour of Kerry surely?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2021, 01:09:50 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 19, 2021, 12:05:36 PM

If twenty players have been affected by Covid then the last ten minutes will be in favour of Kerry surely?

We don't know the breakdown between players who were ill with Covid symptoms, players who tested positive without symptoms and players who were just forced to isolate. However I would like to think that the number of players who were ill with symptoms was nowhere near 20.

After that it depends how many of them are likely to feature in the match as some players who took ill could be part of an extended panel. So I think that 20 is likely to be a gross exaggeration.

However, I'm sure it is likely that at least some players will still be suffering from the lingering effects of Covid and may not even feature in the match but that is what Tyrone's medical team will have to assess. 

joemamas

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 19, 2021, 12:54:51 PM

StPatsAbu is a tube alright

correct and one of Ten aliases he is using including;

The Greatest
Honeyvalle
whodat
CKredhand
Kerryforsam
macker15

many more.

why regular good posters still take the bait and answer him confuses me.