China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: bennydorano on September 20, 2021, 02:18:52 PM
I've lost faith in Covid death stats, I personally know of 4 people who have died in the past 3 weeks, 2 x Cancer, 1 x Alzhemiers and 1x (very) old age who've all went down as Covid stats and it was no more Covid that killed them.

I know at least 10 people who've died of Covid in the last 6 months who haven't been included in the Covid stats. That's because they had Covid and went into hospital. They got out of hospital a couple of weeks later but didn't really recover and had to go back into hospital about 5 or 6 weeks later. They then didn't recover. Because they were outside the 28 days they're not included. It's been calculated that 40% of people who get out of ICU with Covid are readmitted to hospital within a month. A large percentage of these people then go on to die. They've not been included in the stats so the number of deaths from Covid is much higher than the official figures.

bennydorano

Quote from: J70 on September 20, 2021, 02:39:11 PM
I've lost faith in Covid death stats, I personally know of 4 people who have died in the past 3 weeks, 2 x Cancer, 1 x Alzhemiers and 1x (very) old age who've all went down as Covid stats and it was no more Covid that killed them.

Would they have died if they hadn't contracted Covid?
IMO yes. Deaths are recorded in NI as Covid deaths if you've had covid (at all) 28 days prior to death. Is that the same metric used for recording 'Covid' deaths in the US & ROI?

thewobbler

Quote from: lenny on September 20, 2021, 02:45:41 PM

I know at least 10 people who've died of Covid in the last 6 months who haven't been included in the Covid stats. That's because they had Covid and went into hospital. They got out of hospital a couple of weeks later but didn't really recover and had to go back into hospital about 5 or 6 weeks later. They then didn't recover. Because they were outside the 28 days they're not included. It's been calculated that 40% of people who get out of ICU with Covid are readmitted to hospital within a month. A large percentage of these people then go on to die. They've not been included in the stats so the number of deaths from Covid is much higher than the official figures.

Unless you work directly for an organisation that provides support for people with poor immune systems, I don't believe you.

bennydorano

Quote from: armaghniac on September 20, 2021, 02:40:18 PM

Perhaps 1% of people have Covid at any one time, maybe 3% in a month, and so you would expect perhaps 30-40 people to die each month with Covid, who perhaps were not killed by it. However, the rate in NI is that number of deaths each week because the likes of that DUP guy and other people in their 30s and 40s are dying.
As the Covid rate falls the stats become increasingly hard to follow, but I think NI is still above that level. Probably few enough are dying of Covid in the South.
Huge swathes of people (across the divide) in NI don't give a flying f**k about Covid. It's embarrassing, & sad that pigheadedness will be the end of a lot of people.

HiMucker

Quote from: bennydorano on September 20, 2021, 12:32:41 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 19, 2021, 04:29:54 PM
ROI weekly update. Another decent week

9245 cases (638 fewer cases than last week)
278 in hospital (37 fewer than a week ago)
63 in ICU  (4 more than last Sunday)
I've been watching the stats lately wondering why NI was having regular reports of daily single figure deaths and there were none from ROI, has it just been a case of them not being widely reported? I downloaded the ROI Covid tracker app to get the EU digi Vaccine Certificate & it gives you the death stats on it - 24 deaths last week.
How did you get on with this Benny? Is it up and running for Irish passport holders in the north to download the EU cert?

bennydorano

Quote from: HiMucker on September 20, 2021, 03:04:20 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on September 20, 2021, 12:32:41 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 19, 2021, 04:29:54 PM
ROI weekly update. Another decent week

9245 cases (638 fewer cases than last week)
278 in hospital (37 fewer than a week ago)
63 in ICU  (4 more than last Sunday)
I've been watching the stats lately wondering why NI was having regular reports of daily single figure deaths and there were none from ROI, has it just been a case of them not being widely reported? I downloaded the ROI Covid tracker app to get the EU digi Vaccine Certificate & it gives you the death stats on it - 24 deaths last week.
How did you get on with this Benny? Is it up and running for Irish passport holders in the north to download the EU cert?
Yeah, check the holiday thread fior details

Keyser soze

How did you get access to the cause of death of these people?

bennydorano

Quote from: Keyser soze on September 20, 2021, 03:28:42 PM

How did you get access to the cause of death of these people?
Friends and family of friends unfortunately, but a lovely question all the same, the sort you wouldn't say to a person's face, but hey you scored an Internet win

J70

Quote from: bennydorano on September 20, 2021, 02:46:38 PM

IMO yes. Deaths are recorded in NI as Covid deaths if you've had covid (at all) 28 days prior to death. Is that the same metric used for recording 'Covid' deaths in the US & ROI?

I've no idea what the medical practices for recording Covid deaths are in the US or Ireland.

But I do know that there are a multitude of illnesses which are routinely recorded as being responsible for the deaths of already medically vulnerable people which have never aroused this type of controversy.

Not having a go at you, but what's the point (and I've asked this here before)? Unless someone dies from something clearly completely unrelated like a gunshot or a parachute failing to open, then why would you discount the contribution of Covid, a very serious illness in many, particularly those already medically vulnerable? Regular old flu kills thousands of people every year who may be geriatric or immunocompromised already. Are we going to start discounting flu as a cause of death?

bennydorano

Quote from: J70 on September 20, 2021, 03:50:01 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on September 20, 2021, 02:46:38 PM

I've no idea what the medical practices for recording Covid deaths are in the US or Ireland.

But I do know that there are a multitude of illnesses which are routinely recorded as being responsible for the deaths of already medically vulnerable people which have never aroused this type of controversy.

Not having a go at you, but what's the point (and I've asked this here before)? Unless someone dies from something clearly completely unrelated like a gunshot or a parachute failing to open, then why would you discount the contribution of Covid, a very serious illness in many, particularly those already medically vulnerable? Regular old flu kills thousands of people every year who may be geriatric or immunocompromised already. Are we going to start discounting flu as a cause of death?
True.  I see the bigger picture, just lost a bit of faith after recent experiences (& it's not close family btw), also looking to know if NI's way of recording deaths is an outlier or standard practice. A quick Google of the US suggests a lot of Red v Blue nonsense (shock), can't find info on ROI

Cunny Funt

ROI have reported deaths in the way The WHO has asked counties to report them but few has done it that way.

Basically every possible and probable death is reported as a covid death.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on September 20, 2021, 02:52:50 PM
Huge swathes of people (across the divide) in NI don't give a flying f**k about Covid. It's embarrassing, & sad that pigheadedness will be the end of a lot of people.

You have cases like this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-58575722
these were home helps and they could have brought down some elderly people with them.

People like to be a bit thran, probably including myself, but this is entirely the wrong issue to make a stand on. It can literally be life or death.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lenny

Quote from: thewobbler on September 20, 2021, 02:49:10 PM

Unless you work directly for an organisation that provides support for people with poor immune systems, I don't believe you.

Here is an article which backs up my stats. I've seen other articles where these figures are higher so my original percentages are higher than they should be. The point remains that the number of covid deaths is way, way underestimated.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/18/almost-30-of-covid-patients-in-england-re-admitted-to-hospital-after-discharge-study

thewobbler

Quote from: lenny on September 20, 2021, 04:48:59 PM

Here is an article which backs up my stats. I've seen other articles where these figures are higher so my original percentages are higher than they should be. The point remains that the number of covid deaths is way, way underestimated

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/18/almost-30-of-covid-patients-in-england-re-admitted-to-hospital-after-discharge-study

No I don't think so. My guess is that you've decided to follow such a narrative and will actively seek out any data, sensechecked or not, to prove yourself right to yourself.

It's an awful shame that people can't die of old anymore.

lenny

Quote from: thewobbler on September 20, 2021, 04:57:53 PM
Quote from: lenny on September 20, 2021, 04:48:59 PM

Here is an article which backs up my stats. I've seen other articles where these figures are higher so my original percentages are higher than they should be. The point remains that the number of covid deaths is way, way underestimated

No I don't think so. My guess is that you've decided to follow such a narrative and will actively seek out any data, sensechecked or not, to prove yourself right to yourself.

It's an awful shame that people can't die of old anymore.

lol, so you know better than a study printed in the guardian and other medical journals. Just because something doesn't fit your narrative and you'd like it not to be true, that doesn't make it not true. Everyone would like things to go back to the old normal but until more people are vaccinated everyone should be taking all precautions.