Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: BennyCake on July 15, 2021, 09:03:21 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 15, 2021, 08:12:47 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 15, 2021, 05:24:36 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 15, 2021, 01:45:35 PM
He doesn't have one.
You are perfectly entitled to not take the vaccine, I've no issue with that, however irresponsible I feel it may be.
However, as we know the vaccine helps protect against severe illness and transmission of C19 but is not 100% effective. I believe that those who are responsible enough to take the vaccine should not be exposed to risk by those of us who are being irresponsible and selfish.

Ive noticed a difference in how people are behaving post-vaccination. They seem to think they are now invincible and are not adhering to covid guidelines. Is that responsible? Just because someone hasn't had the vaccine, doesn't mean they aren't being responsible in terms to doing all the right things.

QuoteI'm sure there are genuine cases out there were people are afraid of the vaccine, but the majority of people I've come across who are not going to take it are of the opinion that they are healthy and they'll be fine if they get it. These same people didn't follow restrictions and would happily ignore all social distancing regulations. Seflish, self centred behaviour which puts others at risk imo. It's equivalent to someone saying they're fine to drive after 5 pints.

That's simply not true. I've heard many people stating different reasons for not being keen on vaccination, and rarely is it because they think they're not at risk. There's this narrative put out that all those against vaccinations are selfish, getting up to all sorts, adhering to no rules. You're s perfect example.

QuoteThe conspiracy theorists out there think the governments globally want to track us all and know what we are eating in Mickey D's and want to keep that info private. That's fine, but throw away the smart phone when you're at it and don't be a hypocrite because if you are so sensitive about what Big Brother knows about you then you need to go fully offline.

I am aware certain activity of ours is tracked: credit cards, mobile use, car registration,etc but these plans bring that to a whole new level.

QuoteAs for me, the responsible people in society who follow the science should be protected. If it takes vaccine passports to gain access to hospitality/shops/entertainment to enable that protection for the socially responsible majority then I'm all for it.
Let the selfish minority look out for themselves and don't let them put the rest of us at risk.

Again, just because someone isn't keen on vaccines doesn't mean they are selfish and adhering to no rules.

You are right when you say there is a difference in people's behaviour post-vaccination. I for one am now going into my parents house, where I didn't previously. They and I feel more confident in doing this, however, I still wear a mask and sanitise my hands when i go into a shop. To push the point though, the fact that people who are double vaccinated are less likely to become seriously ill AND less likely to carry and spread C19 means it is reasonable to expect that those same people should be able to interact more with other people who have also been double vaccinated. It means the likelihood of spreading or catching the virus is as minimal as it can be. So I think it is reasonable that people who are double vaccinated can behave somewhat more liberally and that is, after all, the reason why restrictions are being eased.

If you read my post again, you will see I said "the majority of people I've come across who are not going to take it are of the opinion that they are healthy and they'll be fine if they get it. These same people didn't follow restrictions and would happily ignore all social distancing regulations."
I basing an opinion on my own personal experience, so I can assure you it is true. I'll admit, not true for all, but it is still true.

What is the issue with a whole new level of tracking? Most CCTV cameras these days have facial recognition software and most Wifi access points can track your movements based on where your mobile phone is. I think that is more invasive than a covid vaccination passport. Like it or not, that is the world we live in....we are constantly being tracked but generally for legitimate purposes (like traffic management, town planning, security, spending habits etc).

People who refuse the vaccine as they are healthy and don't need it are generally the same people up in arms about covid passports. They can't have it all ways.
They won't be able to travel to other countries (rightly so if not vaccinated and I wouldn't want un-vaccinated people entering this country) and they should not be afforded the liberties of those who have been vaccinated. The reason for not being vaccinated is irrelevant really.

Why not wear a mask/sanitise hands when visiting your parents though? Why just the shop? That's my point regarding changing of behaviour of those vaccinated. They say vaccines reduce transmission/seriousness of covid, but you do more for shoppers than your parents? Why? Is it because it's become customary for shoppers to wear masks? But ach sure I'll be alright popping round to the folks?

Why should vaccinated people behave more liberally and flaunt the rules? Aren't we all in this together? Or so they keep telling us.

They've been double vaccinated....and I've been double vaccinated. Which means the risk of transmission is as low as it can be especially as we still sanitise and wear masks when out and about. I thought that would be obvious from what I had written, that it is possible to behave differently given those circumstances.
We are still socially distanced in the house.
We still follow the regulations about visitors etc.
That's the responsible part.

As you say, we are all supposed to be in this together....so everyone should get vaccinated not only to protect themselves but to protect other people in society who may be more vulnerable. That's what being in this together is about  - not about permitting those socially irresponsible people do what they want whilst the rest of us suffer as a result.
If we'd 100% vaccination rate (however unlikely that figure may be), the risk of transmission is very low so everyone could behave in a more liberal way.  Vaccine passports, as I see them, are an enabler to getting us back to as close to "normal" as possible in as safe a way as possible.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on July 15, 2021, 05:41:16 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 15, 2021, 05:15:28 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 15, 2021, 03:44:10 PM
Forgetting the whys and wherefores of vaccinations etc. I would like to know what is deemed as a better alternative? I have no idea what is perceived to be a(viable) way out that's not a vaccine.

The UK way is to open everything up and let people get Covid by transmission.
It's f**king stupid.
It risks creating a new variant.

Exactly and then we run the further risk of current vaccinations not working on any new strains...

It's a big gamble and it looks like its being taken to give the hospitality sector a chance of getting some money in before the winter hits.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on July 16, 2021, 10:58:53 AM
Forgetting the whys and wherefores of vaccinations etc. I would like to know what is deemed as a better alternative? I have no idea what is perceived to be a(viable) way out that's not a vaccine.

It's f**king stupid.

Exactly and then we run the further risk of current vaccinations not working on any new strains...

It's a big gamble and it looks like its being taken to give the hospitality sector a chance of getting some money in before the winter hits.
hospitality and nightclubs, it looks like
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mario

It's f**king stupid.

With this logic we will never ever open up. Vaccines are always behind variants. We need to get on with it.

Last Man

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 15, 2021, 11:45:20 AM
Can you answer this question bennycake.

How do we get out of this without a vaccine?
There are other ways it appears. Worrying not openly discussed.
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/bret-weinstein-darkhorse-podcast/id1471581521?i=1000528685411

armaghniac

Variants could arise in the UK, but there is a greater danger of variants arising elsewhere in the world.

With this logic we will never ever open up. Vaccines are always behind variants. We need to get on with it.

By definition vaccines are behind the variants, but current vaccines are effective against the variants and they can tweaked. What we have to get on with is vaccination and stop these c**k and bull excuses for not getting vaccinated.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thebigfella

Quote from: seafoid on July 16, 2021, 09:41:51 AM
The risk with a 4th variant before vaccination has been completed is the development of a new variant that is resistant to vaccination.
Unlike the Wuhan variant , Delta is strong in summer.

Covid is seasonal, wtf you on about

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thebigfella on July 16, 2021, 11:50:22 AM
The risk with a 4th variant before vaccination has been completed is the development of a new variant that is resistant to vaccination.

Just like the big bad flu season of 2017/18, Angelo and Smurphy would be having a fit at these numbers during the hottest day of the year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Somebody must have forgotten to tell Covid that🙄
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thebigfella

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2021, 12:10:02 PM

Just like the big bad flu season of 2017/18, Angelo and Smurphy would be having a fit at these numbers during the hottest day of the year

;D

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on July 16, 2021, 11:41:42 AM. Vaccines are always behind variants. We need to get on with it.

By definition vaccines are behind the variants, but current vaccines are effective against the variants and they can tweaked. What we have to get on with is vaccination and stop these c**k and bull excuses for not getting vaccinated.
I heard some scientist the other day who was saying a multi-purpose vaccine which will be resitant to all variants is already being worked on.

Though he reckoned we were talking 10 years.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: BennyCake on July 15, 2021, 09:31:00 PM
Yes, I was pointing out the similarities to Ireland's new apartheid laws.
Christ on a bike: First Nazism, now Apartheid!

As someone who's been to Robben Island, I would recommend you educate yourself on that place, as well as Auschwitz.

But you really should keep your mouth shut in the meantime, since while Ignorance or Stupidity may normally be allowable, insulting the victims of two such vile regimes most definitely isn't.

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

JoG2

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 16, 2021, 01:10:14 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 15, 2021, 09:31:00 PM
Yes, I was pointing out the similarities to Ireland's new apartheid laws.
Christ on a bike: First Nazism, now Apartheid!

As someone who's been to Robben Island, I would recommend you educate yourself on that place, as well as Auschwitz.

But you really should keep your mouth shut in the meantime, since while Ignorance or Stupidity may normally be allowable, insulting the victims of two such vile regimes most definitely isn't.

It's the rhetoric of Internet grifters, the lunatic fringe, the O'Dohertys, Cahills, who pre-covid were rightly mocked by 99.9% of the country, (numbers now growing during the pandemic) , the anti-this, anti-that brigade.... How people are falling for the bile that comes out of these charlatans mouths / keyboards and repeated it is incredible.

Think I've asked this before, but does anyone know someone who thinks like BennyCake, someone far down that rabbit hole who has come back to their senses?

Truth hurts

Going by the cases I predict another lockdown in the north in the next few weeks, even a circuit breaker to stop in the infection rate from increasing.

Armagh18

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 16, 2021, 02:14:42 PM
Going by the cases I predict another lockdown in the north in the next few weeks, even a circuit breaker to stop in the infection rate from increasing.
Probably ffs. But the only way this will end is through herd immunity, which will be a combination of vaccines and people getting infected.