10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Real Talk

Wildweasel74

Capacity not increased from the 500

NatSoSaff

I've a real soft spot for Derry and just seeing your team for tomorrow's game I'm excited for their chances. Excellent goalkeeper, solid back 6 with a couple of big personalities and leaders, a very strong midfield and as a previous poster said, a marquee forward with a great support cast. It would be great for ulster football to see Derry get over the line on this one and I'm tipping them by 2. McGuigan will be well marshalled but I think Loughlin and heron are two seriously underrated footballers. Mcfaul is a firecracker who doesn't stop and can kick a score. Doherty has searing power and pace that will trouble the Donegal defence as well. Just hope it all comes off tomorrow. It's fantastic to see Ulster opening up a bit more once again, good luck.

Silver hill

Going into the game, would have taken a 5 point defeat. Watching it live, different story and we should have buried them. Once it was level in second half, every possession was vital and we were not clinical enough with each attack. That was the difference. Mckindless made two unforced errors and Mcfaul took a pot shot that was never on in the circumstances. Botched score from Mcguigan was also crucial and was the non penalty and missed goal chance. An opportunity squandered as Ulster is wide open. Still, very proud of Derry today and even though I've called them out for the errors, Mcfaul and Mckindless did give everything for the jersey, and that's all you can ask for. I
I couldn't see any real opportunity for a shot in the final minute abs think it's harsh on the players who are being criticised for the non shot.

screenexile

Hard to criticise today everyone gave their all and it just wasn't enough against a very good Donegal team. Yes the game was there for us to win but that's hard coming from where we've been the last few years.

Full steam ahead for next year and we are absolutely a team to challenge again as long as we keep that management team in place. Fair play to all it's been a while since I've been screaming at the TV for a Derry match it was good to get the heart rate up again for championship it means we're back where we should be let's keep it going!!

JoG2

Quote from: screenexile on July 12, 2021, 01:00:25 AM
Hard to criticise today everyone gave their all and it just wasn't enough against a very good Donegal team. Yes the game was there for us to win but that's hard coming from where we've been the last few years.

Full steam ahead for next year and we are absolutely a team to challenge again as long as we keep that management team in place. Fair play to all it's been a while since I've been screaming at the TV for a Derry match it was good to get the heart rate up again for championship it means we're back where we should be let's keep it going!!

It's great to have a bit of positivity about the place. Gallagher has done a great job so far.
The minors are out again on Sat, best of luck to all involved. The 2nd half against Meath was exceptional.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Only seen second half, played well.

Some of DL players starting to look tired and leggy too.

County going well enough in both codes atm

Derry Optimist

First of all Congratulations to Derry Minors on their fantastic achievement in beating Meath in the All Ireland semi final last Saturday. This is really an exceptionally all round talented side led by an inspirational captain in Matthew Downey.I hope that they win the final this weekend. By the same token one must also praise Paddy Bradley and his U20 side for their whole hearted performance on last Friday night against a very good Monaghan side who had won back to back Ulster Minor titles for the last two years. Considering that they were short  at least six starting players, for a variety of reasons, to lose by only four points was no mean achievement.

Derry's Seniors' display against Donegal in Ballybofey yesterday was simply their best championship performance since they beat Armagh in the Ulster semi final 10 years ago in 2011.Though considered complete underdogs Derry could have and probably should have won this thrilling encounter of top class football  between two outstanding teams. Rory Gallagher, Ciaran Meenagh et al have worked wonders in developing Derry's full potential as a really competitive  team progressing rapidly up the ladder of the best sides in the country. It was only inexperience which prevented yesterday's superb performance from causing a huge upset in the eyes of all GAA pundits, except the Derry management and players. Two goal chances were spurned,  the wrong scoring option was taken on four  further occasions and a stonewall penalty decision went against them. Also Donegal's astute marking cleverly made Derry's kick out strategy very difficult for Odhran Lynch whereas Shun Patton was able to find his target receivers much easier thanks to having more options always available. However, in the greater scheme of things  all of the above, except the refereeing decision, can be  easily  rectified.

Every player is fully committed, knows what is expected of them both individually and collectively. The management team deserve huge credit for all of this rapid progress. I firmly believe that Derry are only about four more elite players away from challenging for major honours. We need two extra dangerous scoring inside forwards, another top class athletic midfielder to  relieve the tiring non stop work rate of Conor Glass and Emmett Bradley in the final quarter of games and similarly a commanding central defender to complement the already brilliant play of Chrissy McKaigue, Gareth McKinless, Padraig Cassidy and Conor Doherty.

I have no doubt that  amongst the current panel and the present U20 and County minors there are enough quality players who can step up to the required standard. Another bonus would be if a certain other Australian based player would come home to complement  the inspirational Conor Glass  who has restored Derry's traditional high standard midfield play to its former glory.

All round it is great to see Derry County Senior football on the up and up after so many years in the doldrums. To hear Sunday Game panellists Ciaran Whelan and Tomas O'Sé praising  how  impressed they were with a great Derry side was lovely and refreshing to hear on the National airwaves last night. That has not happened for ten years at least.As a gesture of their utmost confidence in their three football management teams ie Senior,U20 and Minor, the County Board should immediately ratify their continuation for the year 2022 and beyond immediately.

restorepride

Quote from: Derry Optimist on July 12, 2021, 12:19:12 PM
First of all Congratulations to Derry Minors on their fantastic achievement in beating Meath in the All Ireland semi final last Saturday. This is really an exceptionally all round talented side led by an inspirational captain in Matthew Downey.I hope that they win the final this weekend. By the same token one must also praise Paddy Bradley and his U20 side for their whole hearted performance on last Friday night against a very good Monaghan side who had won back to back Ulster Minor titles for the last two years. Considering that they were short  at least six starting players, for a variety of reasons, to lose by only four points was no mean achievement.

Derry's Seniors' display against Donegal in Ballybofey yesterday was simply their best championship performance since they beat Armagh in the Ulster semi final 10 years ago in 2011.Though considered complete underdogs Derry could have and probably should have won this thrilling encounter of top class football  between two outstanding teams. Rory Gallagher, Ciaran Meenagh et al have worked wonders in developing Derry's full potential as a really competitive  team progressing rapidly up the ladder of the best sides in the country. It was only inexperience which prevented yesterday's superb performance from causing a huge upset in the eyes of all GAA pundits, except the Derry management and players. Two goal chances were spurned,  the wrong scoring option was taken on four  further occasions and a stonewall penalty decision went against them. Also Donegal's astute marking cleverly made Derry's kick out strategy very difficult for Odhran Lynch whereas Shun Patton was able to find his target receivers much easier thanks to having more options always available. However, in the greater scheme of things  all of the above, except the refereeing decision, can be  easily  rectified.

Every player is fully committed, knows what is expected of them both individually and collectively. The management team deserve huge credit for all of this rapid progress. I firmly believe that Derry are only about four more elite players away from challenging for major honours. We need two extra dangerous scoring inside forwards, another top class athletic midfielder to  relieve the tiring non stop work rate of Conor Glass and Emmett Bradley in the final quarter of games and similarly a commanding central defender to complement the already brilliant play of Chrissy McKaigue, Gareth McKinless, Padraig Cassidy and Conor Doherty.

I have no doubt that  amongst the current panel and the present U20 and County minors there are enough quality players who can step up to the required standard. Another bonus would be if a certain other Australian based player would come home to complement  the inspirational Conor Glass  who has restored Derry's traditional high standard midfield play to its former glory.

All round it is great to see Derry County Senior football on the up and up after so many years in the doldrums. To hear Sunday Game panellists Ciaran Whelan and Tomas O'Sé praising  how  impressed they were with a great Derry side was lovely and refreshing to hear on the National airwaves last night. That has not happened for ten years at least.As a gesture of their utmost confidence in their three football management teams ie Senior,U20 and Minor, the County Board should immediately ratify their continuation for the year 2022 and beyond immediately.
Good spake. Pride has been restored and if we can maintain the standard of yesterday, consistently, will do well in Div 2.  Some promising footballers coming through as well. Very proud of progress made and hard work and effort put in by so many behind the scenes but especially the players and management. Doire abú!

bannside

Congratulations to Martin Boyle and everyone involved in bringing home the All Ireland minor title.

Newbridge Exile

Fantastic result for the minors today , it would have been so cruel to have lost that game as a result of the error at the end ,  congratulations in particular to Mark Doherty on his man of the match performance, 

tbrick18

Congratulations to the minors on a hard fought win.
Showed some composure after conceding that goal to come back.
The signs are good for Derry football!

restorepride

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on July 18, 2021, 07:31:52 PM
Fantastic result for the minors today , it would have been so cruel to have lost that game as a result of the error at the end ,  congratulations in particular to Mark Doherty on his man of the match performance,
Agree fully and Mark Doherty was outstanding both in the semi and yesterday. Really drove Doire on when they most needed to. Very intelligent and selfless player. Doire abú!

Mario

Quote from: JoG2 on July 21, 2021, 09:18:47 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/CollingwoodFC/status/1417674028853039106
Great to see, am I right in saying he wasn't a big underage gaelic star? Did he play for Derry underage? How did he get selected for AFL?