All Ireland final tickets thread

Started by Farrandeelin, August 22, 2016, 10:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

At least I'm not missing something.
Thank you.

Louther

The GAA introduced the season tickets number of years ago and it hasn't moved on from that time. I thought it would be developed further and we would have seen standard membership cards for all GAA members that can be linked to attendance records or season tickets. Maybe the scale is too much.

You see it across the water for Premier league club where there membership card is basically their ticket and can be activated for games. Surely in this age this could be developed and for club and season ticket holders their attendance is recorded and big games are then based on attendance during the year. This is the case for season ticket holders but club members receiving tickets through clubs seem to be at risk of missing out more and in cases where they have to buy from ticketmaster and no record kept.

Mayo always had massive season ticket holders and I believe it was capped at times plus they used mainly to secure all Ireland final tickets with holders passing them on for away league games to be used by others. Playing the system as such.

But in current times there is no reason why Mary the club member who attends all county games is at risk of losing all Ireland tickets due to the luck of a ballot while Mary the season ticket holder with no club has increased chance. But may be entitled but Mary the club member needs to be elevated in pecking order.

There is nothing to stop loyal supporters who attend all county games getting tickets based on actual attendances across the year bar the system of allocating them by ways of ballots and luck.

Milltown Row2

I never really got the County supporter who's not affiliated to his local club, unless he/she have moved away from their area and never bothered with the local club nearby....

Is that the case for these supporters? Or are they just weird?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

larryin89

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 10, 2021, 08:46:24 AM
I never really got the County supporter who's not affiliated to his local club, unless he/she have moved away from their area and never bothered with the local club nearby....

That's the case for a lot of of mayo people , I left home at 17 went to england , so apart from playing underage for home club wouldnt of have been around,  played a bit of junior for  a club in manchester and London,  that's where it ends due to how I went about life ,construction worker from town to town . I'm 43 now in Dublin,  I'd watch an odd club game up here and would pay membership to home club most years but it wouldnt warrant an all Ireland ticket .

I love GAA , it's part of who I am , everything about me is mayo gaa , I live it everyday of my life , it's in the fuckin bones of me , everyone who knows me associates me with following the county team .

I just dint understand why that makes me not entitled to an all Ireland ticket as per arguments put forward in here. 
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

shark

I have always been of the same view - but it really is different from county to county. There are different dynamics at play, as Larry points out above. I'm from a county where there would often be a bigger crowd at a club championship game than at a county match. Everyone wants the county to win, but not many people really care all that much. Outside of those involved in their clubs, nobody else really pays any attention to GAA. I have in-laws from Mayo (although she's not Mayo herself!) who follow Mayo everywhere, yet couldn't even tell me how their local club went in championship last year.

Maroon Manc

Larry who's my brother in law would have a differing opinion on it to me but I know he has no ticket and there's not to many more dedicated to Mayo then him. I know he's been at FBD games when it wasn't fashionable and nobody else was at them.

Louther

It's horses for courses and modern Ireland will see many reasons why people are either separated from their club and unable to volunteer or they aren't in a position for it. It's also the case that the club is better off with some individuals not been involved  ;)

Using Larry as an example I'm sure he supports his and other clubs in Mayo where possible, financially and has an interest. He already says he pays his membership. There will be others who don't. I'm sure if the Dublin supporters only had club members/volunteers they'd be light. Anyone who been to a club championship game in Dublin would see this. The early rounds very sparsely attended.

Their should be a way for county supporters to follow their county. Their should also be a way to record loyalty of club supporters rather than a ballot.

Maroon Manc

Mayo and I asume Dublin don't accept new season ticket holders but is their any other county in either code which is sold out?

I do think the system is abused by a few in Mayo who don't go to game and pass them onto to others just so they can guarantee an All Ireland ticket in the event of getting there. Not a lot you can do about it though unless they stick ID's on the season ticket.

RedHand88

Could be a number of reasons. Most common I would say is because of nepotism within clubs. It wally gets people backs up when they aren't one of those families who get picked for underage, are guaranteed all ireland tickets etc. Some people just think to hell with them but will still be diehard county men. I know of alot of these sort of people in Tyrone.

Cobra

The GAA is a volunteer organisation. Turning up to county matches is fantastic. But is the bare minimum. This is the showpiece of the year. The big arena. It is right that the GAA trusts it's volunteers to appropriate the tickets in the competing counties. Volunteers should be rewarded imo.

If you don't like that approach then people should join a club, bring forward a motion and get it changed.

Cavan19

There is also the club person who doesn't give a hoot about the county until a final comes along...

larryin89

3600 tickets were available for the first game mayo supporters could get to attend since covid , v leitrim in the championship . Couldnt believe my luck when I was able to purchase online.  Off I set for castlebar,  I shook my head for the duration of the game,  they couldn't even sell the 3600 a little over 2000 showed up .  All of a sudden everyone goes to every game when you read all the posts on social media , it's a lie . Whatever about club v county argument ,there are thousands going to the game tomorrow who are just well connected event junkies . Life is unfair I hear ya say , it is but it doesnt always have to be  .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

RedHand88

Quote from: Cobra on September 10, 2021, 11:25:47 AM
The GAA is a volunteer organisation. Turning up to county matches is fantastic. But is the bare minimum. This is the showpiece of the year. The big arena. It is right that the GAA trusts it's volunteers to appropriate the tickets in the competing counties. Volunteers should be rewarded imo.

If you don't like that approach then people should join a club, bring forward a motion and get it changed.

Hah! I admire your optimism.  ;D

BennyCake

Quote from: Cobra on September 10, 2021, 11:25:47 AM

The only time really that tickets are an issue is for an AI final. Maybe a provincial final. For most other matches, anyone can buy a ticket online without having to rely on being a member of a club to get one. I've been to AI semis/QFs in Hurling and football, qualifiers, AI club finals etc that didn't involve my own club/county without needing to go to any club looking tickets

How often is AI tickets an issue within a club though really? OK, in recent years Dublin Kerry Mayo have been in a few finals, and Tipp Kilkenny Limerick in the Hurling,  so it's been a common occurrence for those counties,.... so clubs might have drawn up a scheme/plan to deal with ticket allocation. But for most other counties, it's probably  a once in a generation thing. Since 2000, Cork have been in 3 finals, Galway Armagh Donegal have been in 2, Down Meath 1. Even Tyrone with 5 is not a regular occurrence.  Do any clubs in these counties have a set in stone way of distributing tickets?

So imagine  a member rolling up to their club AGM proposing how to deal with AI tickets. That's fine if you're in Dublin Mayo etc, but you'd be chased out of it even if you were from the likes of Monaghan Roscommon or Armagh, even though they're top 10 teams. Coming in here, wasting our time discussing something that might never happen, or maybe once every 30 years. We're more concerned about how we're going to upgrade those knackered old changing rooms or how we're going to find money for a  new set of jersies.

Mayo4Sam14

Anyone know if tickets with September 4th printed on them are definitely okay? I'd sleep a lot easier tonight known were 100% not gonna run into any issues on the day 😅
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!