Connacht Club Final Charlestown V Corofin

Started by joemamas, November 17, 2009, 02:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Should be a truly momentous occasion Sunday in Charlestown, A small club that has a great history, one that was absolutely ravaged by emigration in the mid 80's, resulting in their primary team being a poor junior one. The seeds of the current success were probably sown in 1988, when the club won the County minor and junior titles. The County and Connacht championship victories in  2001 were incredible. This years County title was the icing on the cake for a lot of veterans.

Victory on Sunday will be difficult against a very experienced Corofin team. Ginger Teirnan will be a huge loss, impossible to measure. I feel gutted for him, he has been such a key part of this team for almost a decade. Charlestown have a very strong panel, competition for places has been fierce, and this has in my mind has been key to their success. They may be lacking that gamebreaker in the forwards, but hopefully the home advantage will swing it for us.

ballinaman

Best of luck to Charlestown. Will be rooting for ye. Up against it though i fear though, strong Corofin team and injuries. Don't expect that there will be much in it, neither team have a forward that will really frighten the opposition defence.

GalwayBayBoy

Think this could be a real dour low-scoring affair especially if the weather stays like it is at the moment. Corofin's strengths are in defence and midfield and from what I've seen of Charlestown they are something similiar. Corofin themselves have their own injury troubles with county players Kieran Fitzgerald and Michael Comer injured and their main scoring forward Alan O'Donovan also looking like missing out. Think they introduced a few minors like Ronan Steede against Glencar/Manorhamilton and still won easily enough but a much tougher task on Sunday for them.

Farrandeelin

It's going to be live on TG4 on Sunday so I won't care about the weather either way! Hope Charlestown can do it. Hard to know how they will approach the game without Ginger. Is John Casey fit to play? Mayo football needs this win as Westport lost out narrowly to Leitir Móir last weekend. Depends on the quality of the subs who replace the injured players as much as the weather methinks GBB!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GBXII

Casey is fit to play but Richie Haran will more than likely miss out as well due to a fractured finger, also a huge loss to Charlestown. If they manage to beat Corofin without Ginger and Haran then it will be some performance..

Lar Naparka

Warning - Evil Genius at Work

Farrandeelin,
What's the story here?
Surely, you are not referring to the one and only EG who posts in the general section, are you? That lad lives up to both parts of his handle. He can be a biteen irrational okay but he sure can handle anything that's thrown at him without any bother. There's one poster on the other side, Oraisteach, that is equally as talented but he rarely posts. Pity about that: as they can make for compulsive reading whenever they go head to head.
Anyway, to more serious and immediate matters; what's the throw-in time?
I hope to make it on Sunday if I can at all.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Is Tiernan definitely out? Hmmmmm. I dunno. He s been top 5 players in this county last 15 years and still the dynamo of Charlestown. They have it all to do without him.

RedandGreenSniper

GInger is definitely out. Haran rated as doubtful. If they've Haran available they might do it. Without him and Ginger, they're fucked. I'll be going along for a look. Weather might be bad but sure, f**k it, its a Mayo team in a Connacht club final, they deserve a bit of support.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

joemamas

Richie Haran is out, broken bone in hand, huge loss as he is main freetaker ,although as pointed out Corofin have similar issues.

Will take a massive effort to win this one.

Lar Naparka

Given the present state of the weather, I think there is a good chance that the game is going to be postponed. Anyone know anything about this; where would you go to keep in touch before setting off for the game?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tubberman

QuoteGiven the present state of the weather, I think there is a good chance that the game is going to be postponed. Anyone know anything about this; where would you go to keep in touch before setting off for the game?

Yeah, there's a fair chance it might be postponed or moved to another pitch. The U21 semi between Ballintubber and Ballinrobe fixed for Mayo Abbey has been postponed, although they're hoping they might be able to play it tomorrow.
I'd say listen in to Midwest is prob the best way to keep up to date
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

milltown row

Tubberman

Quote from: milltown row on November 21, 2009, 06:31:41 PM
game is off tomorrow i hear

Yep, the game is postponed til next Sunday in Charlestown. From the Midwest site:

Due to the adverse weather conditions the pitch at Fr. O'Hara Park, Charlestown has been deemed unplayable for the Connacht Senior Club Football Final between Corofin and Charlestown which was due to go ahead tomorrow. The final has been re-scheduled for Sunday, November 29th, at 2pm in Charlestown
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

GalwayBayBoy

Anyone catch the game today? Only just caught the scoreline. Bit surprised. Didn't expect a 13 point win for Corofin. Thought it would be a really tight one.

Farrandeelin

I thought it'd be closer too, listened to it on Mid-West. Fair dues to that Comer, he stole the show. He will probably feature in Kernan's plans now I'd say. Charlestown never got going at all in the second half, or weren't allowed depending on where you're coming from.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.