Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Fermanagh Minors beat Cavan Minors in comfortable enough fashion and go on to lose by 30 points to Tyrone. That really is rock bottom, hopefully this will prompt change.

Cavan19

Quote from: Westside on August 09, 2021, 01:43:59 PM
Fermanagh Minors beat Cavan Minors in comfortable enough fashion and go on to lose by 30 points to Tyrone. That really is rock bottom, hopefully this will prompt change.

It has been a year to forget and i don't have much faith in the County Board to make the required changes whatever they might be.

Minors losing to Fermanagh
U-20 beat out the gate
Seniors relegated to Division 4 and limping out of the championship

3 Successive relegation's
County Senior Management involved with Club teams
Player home from Australia a wet week starting USFC game

Anyone any ideas how we can improve our county teams or do we not have the players?

Westside

I see coaching officers taking the WeAreCavan lads to task on Twitter about claiming we don't do U14 or U15 Development Squads when we do in fact. I think they'd be better advised keep their heads down because development looks non-existent at this point.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on August 09, 2021, 10:26:35 PM
I see coaching officers taking the WeAreCavan lads to task on Twitter about claiming we don't do U14 or U15 Development Squads when we do in fact. I think they'd be better advised keep their heads down because development looks non-existent at this point.

I was awful tempted to ask them do they not have something more important to be worrying about, rather than tweeting to wearecavan. Maybe they should go on the podcast and tell them where its going wrong and what they are doing to fix it?

Cavan19

Quote from: Itchy on August 10, 2021, 08:15:04 AM

I was awful tempted to ask them do they not have something more important to be worrying about, rather than tweeting to wearecavan. Maybe they should go on the podcast and tell them where its going wrong and what they are doing to fix it?

Could be time to refresh the coaching staff in there.

Itchy

Quote from: Cavan19 on August 10, 2021, 09:34:17 AM
Quote from: Itchy on August 10, 2021, 08:15:04 AM

Could be time to refresh the coaching staff in there.

Says a lot about that guy when that's what he chose to tweet about and in fairness to Paul Fitz he called it out that they were bringing flack upon themselves by asking questions. I would say these boys didn't like the idea of accountability, but when you get paid to do a job you should be accountable for the results.

Cavan19

Has there been any write up in the Celt about  the disastrous year for all our senior mens teams?

Look-Up!

I'd say a lot of apathy has set in for football fans regarding county. More interest in club competitions for now although probably hard to get a discussion going on that as difficult to see too many games especially involving different clubs other than your own.

Time will tell what the interest will be committing to county for next year once the club competitions are over. Beggars belief this management are still in charge, especially their cavalier attitude and two fingered approach to Cavan football since relegation and championship exit. Accountability or remedy doesn't even come into it, more interested in their extracurricular football activities. Cavan football team only a nuisance to them, apart from the money of course. That comes in handy.   

Westside

Quote from: Look-Up! on August 20, 2021, 04:18:43 PM
I'd say a lot of apathy has set in for football fans regarding county. More interest in club competitions for now although probably hard to get a discussion going on that as difficult to see too many games especially involving different clubs other than your own.

Time will tell what the interest will be committing to county for next year once the club competitions are over. Beggars belief this management are still in charge, especially their cavalier attitude and two fingered approach to Cavan football since relegation and championship exit. Accountability or remedy doesn't even come into it, more interested in their extracurricular football activities. Cavan football team only a nuisance to them, apart from the money of course. That comes in handy.   

What have they done since the championship exit? Or what have they done that they shouldn't?

They have questions to answer for sure, but saying it beggars belief that they haven't been sacked is a bit much. Ulster Final and Ulster title in the first 2 years for a county like Cavan... They were always gonna get another year at the very least.

mrdeeds

They got a third year.

I think the two fingers refers to the fact that two of the management have club jobs.

Look-Up!

Correct mrdeeds, looks very bad that after a relegation to Division 4 our manager was more interested in lining up a club job than preparing for Ulster Championship. But nothing less than total player commitment acceptable et cetera et cetera, well some players more than others. However good the team performance was in last years final, and I'm struggling to remember a better Cavan team performance, everything else has been average at best. Some of it as bad as anything I've seen.

Good win for Gowna this evening in a bit of a washout in Breffni. Very very slippery conditions. Crosserlough took control early and looked good at half time. Couple of Gowna HT subs had a big impact, quick goal immediately after restart undone a lot of the early Crosserlough hard yards and game became a bit of a lottery after that. Crosserlough looked like they might do it but some clinical Gowna play and maybe a bit of Xlough indiscipline in the last 10 minutes gave it to the lake men. Didn't look like ever getting caught in the end as their opponents ran out of ideas. Kilnaleck men not happy with ref, thought he was poor myself. Great to see James Smith back after his injury for last 10 minutes or so, going on this evening they'll need him and Mart Stuart back to their best if they are going to have an impact for Championship.

Westside

I don't like the optics of county management taking on club management too. But being "more interested in lining up a club job" is hyperbole. Mickey went back to a club job he had before, McCabe went to his own club. Lets not pretend they were out touting for a role and ignoring their Cavan duties.

The performances under Mickey have been mostly poor and he's still in a job because he managed to get the team to put in a few exceptional halves of football and one top level performance at the right time. He spent a lot of the goodwill last year though and he now needs to get promotion from Division 4 and a respectable championship to keep his job. I think getting rid of him now would have been harsh and would have blotted our copybook when we go looking for management in the future.

Gowna really pulled it out of the bag last night. I'd still fancy Crosserlough to beat them most times they play, they just look like a stronger unit. Should really have closed it out last night after Smith's second point after the water break.

Look-Up!

He had the job lined up in the weeks before the Tyrone game, that is not hyperbole. Some statement of intent for the reigning Ulster champions.

I have zero confidence in this management team and that is from purely watching them for 3 years. Whatever steps forward they make they immediately take two back from pure block headedness so it's a write off for me. Anyone who thinks they are remotely competent or capable of building a squad have rocks in their head. I would not be confident of them getting us out of Division 4. They will of course win a few games but as for building some consistency or game plan, I don't think so.
It's a poor thing to have to say but there is no way I would put any money on us getting promotion. Reason being we are too predictable, Plan A all the way and if that doesn't go well lump in a few high balls. Rely on 15 odd scores or so and hope our GK pulls off some good saves. Doesn't matter the opposition, every team in the country will always be in it and have a chance against us. So it will not be so straightforward getting promotion. Would love it to be different but that's where we're at and only prolonging the inevitable.

Look-Up!

Good win for Laragh today in the Division 2 final. Well balanced team and some nice forwards on display with some great score taking. Looked setup for a rip roaring affair early on but after the 1st water break Mullahoran fell away badly. They hung in gamely with some tenacious defending throughout but really struggled to get into the Laragh half especially second half. Dam eventually gave way and Laragh ran out comfortable enough.
It was a tough day at the office for a lot of the younger dreadnought players. Looks like they are in for a period of struggle especially around the midfield half-forward areas.

Look-Up!

Good game in Breffni last night. Ramor are a tight outfit and will be hard beat. Xlough have a tough game next so are up against it. Plenty of positives for them but the goal was crucial and gave away too much cheap ball when the game was in the melting pot. Not clinical enough up front at times but if they can tweak things should be well in the shake up. Ramor have some nice forwards, McEvoy and Cole are handful. James Brady was a bit off on his kicking but that can only improve.
Great conditions for football and pitch looked immaculate, hopefully we'll see bigger crowds soon. AI ref in charge, done ok.