Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Dreadnought on December 03, 2021, 03:16:25 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on December 01, 2021, 09:55:17 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on December 01, 2021, 09:26:38 AM
Quote from: Itchy on November 30, 2021, 09:00:18 PM
I dont agree he's our best forward in 20 yrs. He's did nothing worth talking about in ulster champ. His clubman Martin Dunne did more in one season. As for making a mistake, has he ever admitted to a mistake or expressed remorse - I don't think so? I see an unapologetic man who is and was all about himself. A very very poor appointment.

Anyway, he's hardly worth wasting words on so I'll say no more.

Really don't know how you could say that. He was easily our best in the last 20 years, no matter what way you spin it. Yes, Dunne had one good season when we got a run on a few poor teams, but nothing before or after that. Johnston was at least consistent, knew where the posts were, and scored freely regularly. I recall games where he won it for us many times over the years. he was always touted as the best player from Cavan on other peoples shortlists for years. Always the targeted man as well, and yet he still got the scores. Look, you don't have to like him. We know the reasons and I'd have them myself. But lets not pretend he wasn't a cracking player and wasn't our best forward in the last 20 years. If he passes on any knowledge to our current crop, then this works for me.

He was a league player never did a whole lot in the Ulster Championship when the chips were down.

I wouldn't have him about the place either he wouldn't be a good role model for younger players.

Ah now, that's unfair. We were brutal all over in his time pre 2010, yet in many of the games we did win in Championship in that era, he was our best player and top scorer. When he came back, I recall a few very good performances against Armagh in 16. He did do a whole lot, certainly more than some. He was always our stand out player that only teams had to target and team up on. Lets not be revisionist here due to what he did...

I think you are the one suffering with revisionism. I might get some data sometime and show you since you didn't back up what you said with any yourself

Itchy

https://twitter.com/TheNumbersGael/status/1472679571115945996?t=mGqoRW03Yi-ZZ29RF_u4oQ&s=19

Stats are great. Gearoid No 11 on this list, only Cavan man on it. Some achievement considering he played midfield half the time. No other Cavan player made the list.

Westside

League Fixtures are out. Leitrim, Sligo, London away. Wexford, Tipperary, Carlow, Waterford at home. Probably as good a draw as you could hope for. Think it could be tough though, we don't have the depth of talent or scoring power to put away Division 4 teams comfortably. Hopefully we can get promoted and get to Croke Park.

rodney trotter

Michael Quinlivan not playing for Tipperary in 22.

Cavan will still find it tough against these teams.  Andy Moran should give Leitrim a lift. 

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 21, 2021, 02:47:22 PM
Michael Quinlivan not playing for Tipperary in 22.

Cavan will still find it tough against these teams.  Andy Moran should give Leitrim a lift.

Cavan are 5 to 10 points better than every team in that division bar Tipp. The only thing that can stop us is ourselves not treating it seriously. Mickey needs to get over his "league doesnt matter" mantra. It matters when you are in Div 4. It is an absolute must for us to get out of Div 4 at 1st time of asking and he should also make it a major goal to win the Div 4 cup in Croke Park too. Sligo are training like f*ck and I am sure as you say Leitrim will get a bounce too. Cavan cannot just rock up and be looking at a game in the summer when there is business to be done in Jan/Feb.

Weve also got a draw that is very favourable so there are just no excuses for anything other than a immediate return to Div 3

rodney trotter

Cavan have had 3 successive Relegations, so if they don't take the League serious now they never will.  Cavan should beat most of the team ,but will.be a lot of dogfights..February and March football is usually a slog. Need players ready for a battle not expecting to turn up and get a win.

Westside

I saw Paul Fitz posted a list of our first round fixture since 2000. We haven't won a first round game since 2014. There should be a huge target on that first game against Leitrim in Carrick. I agree with Itchy, there can be no easing into this year. If you can't get out of Division 4 at the first time of asking it's probably the end of his managerial career with Cavan.
I think he needs to freshen things up a bit too. A lot of our stalwarts have looked tired and jaded, there's a lot of miles on the clock. We need to develop a few lads like Oisin Brady and McEvoy (if he's there), get the most out of Thomas Galligan and freshen up lads like Faulkner and Oisin Kiernan who are gone off the boil.

Supporters should be prepared for this to be tough, we will hopefully have learned from last year that an Ulster title doesn't mean you can just breeze in and beat the so called lesser teams easily. Getting out of Division 4 doesn't have to be pretty, just needs to be professional.

Look-Up!

"The league doesn't matter" is not a mantra any serious county team or manager believes in. And I don't believe that's the case for us either. It's just an after excuse we've used for extremely poor form and performances. It's also the bread and butter for filling the coffers of county boards. We're now in a bit of bother in that area and regardless of performances this season we can expect very poor attendances and there won't be a lot of money to go around to pay all the extras county panels rely on. 
We'll see how we go this year but until we start finding the onion bag regularly and shore up considerably at the back we're 10 point better than no one in the country.

on the sideline

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 03, 2021, 03:25:54 PM
McMemamin will likely be a backs coach, along with a selector. Martin Corey seems to be sill involved so will be a few voices on the training ground.

McMenamin appointed new Dromore manager there.

Itchy

Quote from: on the sideline on December 28, 2021, 06:56:57 PM
McMemamin will likely be a backs coach, along with a selector. Martin Corey seems to be sill involved so will be a few voices on the training ground.

It's not possible to manage a club team and be a coach on a county team. I wouldn't tolerate that at all if I were involved in co board.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on December 29, 2021, 06:59:32 PM
Quote from: on the sideline on December 28, 2021, 06:56:57 PM

It's not possible to manage a club team and be a coach on a county team. I wouldn't tolerate that at all if I were involved in co board.
I wonder how much these lads are pulling in money wise double jobbing. Seems a nice money racket to me if true and also a massive piss take considering the state we're in at the moment.

Westside

Shouldn't be tolerated, Cavan should be his singular focus if he's to be involved.

Itchy

Anyone know who's on the Cavan panel, seems to be like a state secret. You'd have more chance to find out what the yanks are at in area 21.

the goal was on

Quote from: Westside on December 30, 2021, 06:19:07 PM
Shouldn't be tolerated, Cavan should be his singular focus if he's to be involved.

Ricey knows he'll have plenty of time to get dromore ready for championship. But seriously it shows the lack of commitment. Imagine a player saying I'm gonna be playing a bit of soccer with another teams here couple times a week !

Cavan19

Quote from: Westside on December 30, 2021, 06:19:07 PM

Graham and McCabe were double jobbing they can hardly tell Ricey he cant.