Author Topic: Official Cavan GAA Thread  (Read 2064654 times)

Westside

• View Profile
Re: Official Cavan GAA Thread
« Reply #15945 on: August 20, 2021, 08:36:27 PM »
I'd say a lot of apathy has set in for football fans regarding county. More interest in club competitions for now although probably hard to get a discussion going on that as difficult to see too many games especially involving different clubs other than your own.

Time will tell what the interest will be committing to county for next year once the club competitions are over. Beggars belief this management are still in charge, especially their cavalier attitude and two fingered approach to Cavan football since relegation and championship exit. Accountability or remedy doesn't even come into it, more interested in their extracurricular football activities. Cavan football team only a nuisance to them, apart from the money of course. That comes in handy.   

What have they done since the championship exit? Or what have they done that they shouldn't?

They have questions to answer for sure, but saying it beggars belief that they haven't been sacked is a bit much. Ulster Final and Ulster title in the first 2 years for a county like Cavan... They were always gonna get another year at the very least.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:29:34 PM by Westside »

mrdeeds

• View Profile
« Reply #15946 on: August 20, 2021, 09:05:56 PM »
They got a third year.

I think the two fingers refers to the fact that two of the management have club jobs.

Look-Up!

• View Profile
« Reply #15947 on: August 20, 2021, 10:37:36 PM »
Correct mrdeeds, looks very bad that after a relegation to Division 4 our manager was more interested in lining up a club job than preparing for Ulster Championship. But nothing less than total player commitment acceptable et cetera et cetera, well some players more than others. However good the team performance was in last years final, and I'm struggling to remember a better Cavan team performance, everything else has been average at best. Some of it as bad as anything I've seen.

Good win for Gowna this evening in a bit of a washout in Breffni. Very very slippery conditions. Crosserlough took control early and looked good at half time. Couple of Gowna HT subs had a big impact, quick goal immediately after restart undone a lot of the early Crosserlough hard yards and game became a bit of a lottery after that. Crosserlough looked like they might do it but some clinical Gowna play and maybe a bit of Xlough indiscipline in the last 10 minutes gave it to the lake men. Didn't look like ever getting caught in the end as their opponents ran out of ideas. Kilnaleck men not happy with ref, thought he was poor myself. Great to see James Smith back after his injury for last 10 minutes or so, going on this evening they'll need him and Mart Stuart back to their best if they are going to have an impact for Championship.

Westside

• View Profile
« Reply #15948 on: August 21, 2021, 12:23:31 PM »
I don't like the optics of county management taking on club management too. But being "more interested in lining up a club job" is hyperbole. Mickey went back to a club job he had before, McCabe went to his own club. Lets not pretend they were out touting for a role and ignoring their Cavan duties.

The performances under Mickey have been mostly poor and he's still in a job because he managed to get the team to put in a few exceptional halves of football and one top level performance at the right time. He spent a lot of the goodwill last year though and he now needs to get promotion from Division 4 and a respectable championship to keep his job. I think getting rid of him now would have been harsh and would have blotted our copybook when we go looking for management in the future.

Gowna really pulled it out of the bag last night. I'd still fancy Crosserlough to beat them most times they play, they just look like a stronger unit. Should really have closed it out last night after Smith's second point after the water break.

Look-Up!

• View Profile
« Reply #15949 on: August 21, 2021, 12:58:49 PM »
He had the job lined up in the weeks before the Tyrone game, that is not hyperbole. Some statement of intent for the reigning Ulster champions.

I have zero confidence in this management team and that is from purely watching them for 3 years. Whatever steps forward they make they immediately take two back from pure block headedness so it's a write off for me. Anyone who thinks they are remotely competent or capable of building a squad have rocks in their head. I would not be confident of them getting us out of Division 4. They will of course win a few games but as for building some consistency or game plan, I don't think so.
It's a poor thing to have to say but there is no way I would put any money on us getting promotion. Reason being we are too predictable, Plan A all the way and if that doesn't go well lump in a few high balls. Rely on 15 odd scores or so and hope our GK pulls off some good saves. Doesn't matter the opposition, every team in the country will always be in it and have a chance against us. So it will not be so straightforward getting promotion. Would love it to be different but that's where we're at and only prolonging the inevitable.

Look-Up!

• View Profile
« Reply #15950 on: August 29, 2021, 08:55:30 PM »
Good win for Laragh today in the Division 2 final. Well balanced team and some nice forwards on display with some great score taking. Looked setup for a rip roaring affair early on but after the 1st water break Mullahoran fell away badly. They hung in gamely with some tenacious defending throughout but really struggled to get into the Laragh half especially second half. Dam eventually gave way and Laragh ran out comfortable enough.
 It was a tough day at the office for a lot of the younger dreadnought players. Looks like they are in for a period of struggle especially around the midfield half-forward areas.

Look-Up!

• View Profile
« Reply #15951 on: September 03, 2021, 02:05:31 PM »
Good game in Breffni last night. Ramor are a tight outfit and will be hard beat. Xlough have a tough game next so are up against it. Plenty of positives for them but the goal was crucial and gave away too much cheap ball when the game was in the melting pot. Not clinical enough up front at times but if they can tweak things should be well in the shake up. Ramor have some nice forwards, McEvoy and Cole are handful. James Brady was a bit off on his kicking but that can only improve.
 Great conditions for football and pitch looked immaculate, hopefully we'll see bigger crowds soon. AI ref in charge, done ok.

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #15952 on: September 03, 2021, 02:30:06 PM »
Assume the rumour of McVittys returned turned out to be bull.

Cavan19

• View Profile
« Reply #15953 on: September 03, 2021, 03:01:06 PM »

That's a pity he could have helped us stay out of Division 5.

Look-Up!

• View Profile
« Reply #15954 on: September 03, 2021, 04:06:33 PM »

That's a pity he could have helped us stay out of Division 5.
Think COVID changed his plans. He was only going to play club this year anyway

Duckquay

• View Profile
« Reply #15955 on: September 03, 2021, 05:19:00 PM »
Can't beat Championship week. The boots are in pristine condition  ;D

Westside

• View Profile
« Reply #15956 on: September 03, 2021, 07:49:30 PM »
I think we unfortunately have to forget about McVeety as a county player. A real shame but he gave us a lot of huge performances so best of luck to him.

On the plus side, there looks to be some promising talent coming. McEvoy looked excellent last night and really stood up when the game was in the melting pot. I also thought Brian O'Connell had a good game too, hopefully he returns next year.

Ramor will be hard to beat. Something not right with Crosserlough, finding it hard to close out games.

Look-Up!

• View Profile
« Reply #15957 on: September 04, 2021, 10:02:42 AM »
Think Mark Stuart and Adrian Smith are huge losses for them, hopefully Stuart can get back to his best. They have plenty of niggly injuries but they can improve.

Look-Up!

• View Profile
« Reply #15958 on: September 11, 2021, 02:09:41 PM »
Great win for Mullahoran in Breffni last night. Was a cracking game. Referee let an awful lot go but it actually made for real physical high intensity championship football. There'll be a few lads sore today though.
 Cormac O'Reilly was impressive first half and brought something up front to them that was previously missing. Philip the Gunner was excellent and was some goal he scored. Not the fittest player on the field but has that bit of class, power and can change seamlessly on either side which makes him a real handful for any defender. Castlerahan kicked too many wides first half and let the dreadnoughts get that bit too far ahead. Looked to be reeling them in after the second water break but Mullahoran held firm. Have to say their defence were excellent, there's a very young lad on the wing- Cormac McKeogh I think, was impressed by him in what was tough going. Cian O'Reilly very impressive too. Killian the Gunner as tough as they come, gave and took some blows. 

Look-Up!

• View Profile
« Reply #15959 on: September 13, 2021, 12:45:27 PM »
Crosserlough and Gaels ended a draw, error ridden game that lacked a spark and never really got to championship tempo. In the end neither team good enough to win it. Gaels would have been disappointed after first half shooting, really let a below par Lough off the hook with a multitude of bad wides. Incredibly The Spoils should have gone in at the break in front but for a missed penalty. Momentum swung for the Kilnaleck men 2nd half with the sending off of Fortune after a bit of a disagreement with his cousin on the opposing team, but some poor decision making, passing and wides kept the game tight. In the end both teams had chances for the winner but in truth neither team deserved all of the points.
 Gowna with a big win v Lacken, 2 from 2 so far for the Longford border men, if they can get Pierson fit and not pick up injuries you wouldn't bet against them. Ramor and Ballinagh served out a draw in what I believe was a great game of football. Valuable point for Ballinagh against what are probably outright favourites. If anyone has any reports on these or any other games it would be good to hear their opinions.
 So the bye teams are out next week and it will be interesting to see the draws after that. All in all very tight at the moment and a bad draw could see some of the bigger guns under a bit of pressure. Relegation playoffs will be interesting and again the draw will have a big bearing on who is in the final shakeup. Some of the perceived favourites for the drop before the championship started may well tear up the script if what we've seen so far is anything to go by.