Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

When you look at most of what Cavan achieved since our resurgence in 2013, Mackey was central to it. The win against Tipperary to put us into Division 1, the draw against Armagh in the Ulster Semi-Final in 2019 stand out in particular as games we were certainly going to lose until Mackey came on and turned the tide. That's just two of many, delighted to see him adding to his medal collection. Fingers crossed he will come back to Cavan and have some input in coaching in the future.

Look-Up!

Great game of football today and congratulations to Ramor on the win. Deserving winners. Really came out of the traps and shell shocked their younger opponents with an early blitz. Gowna came back into it a bit but you felt they were always chasing the game from then on. The loss of Pierson who was looking very dangerous in the 2nd half was a serious blow and effectively ended the contest.

It was a tough day at the office for Gowna. Playing in Breffni on county final day is a steep learning curve and combined with the quality of the opposition, proved a step too far for them. They looked nothing like the swashbuckling team we saw all championship full of energy and running and options. They had some great individual performers on the day but for the most part the occasion passed them by. Ramor on the other hand put in a real team performance and Gowna were unable to outbattle them for the inches they found so easily earlier on in the campaign. But there's the makings of a great team there if they can develop a bit more cuteness and grit.

I think it's clear from the last 2 games that Ramor are easily the best outfit to go represent the county in the Ulster club. Really tough battling team throughout with a great balance. Excellent keeper, tigerish in defence, good at tackling and dispossessing, tactically very competent, good runners who break and use the ball well and very dangerous upfront. At times today the full forward line was sensational. Lifting the Oliver Plunkett cup is no novelty for them so while they will certainly enjoy tonight, hopefully they will be focused on their next round and give it a good rattle.   

Westside

Excellent performance by Ramor today. Really hope McEvoy sticks with Gaelic, he's electric. The Ramor defence is the most impressive thing about them, so tenacious and tough to break down.

25/1 for Ulster, longest odds of any team.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Westside on November 14, 2021, 09:39:35 PM
Excellent performance by Ramor today. Really hope McEvoy sticks with Gaelic, he's electric. The Ramor defence is the most impressive thing about them, so tenacious and tough to break down.

25/1 for Ulster, longest odds of any team.
Longest odds surely but I very much doubt they are the worst team in it. But they are on the toughest side of the draw with Down, Monaghan, Derry and Donegal so think it's fair enough that the odds represent the mammoth task before them.

I think in the last 5 years or so the quality of competition in the county has improved and our senior champions have performed better up north when they have got there compared to previous years when we were getting beat out the gate (if the Gaels weren't involved).

I like this Ramor team and think they are a better version of the last time they lifted the cup. They have been very consistent this year and although in some of the games their forwards were somewhat less consistent their defence has been an absolute f**ker to get the better of. There is no point trying to play champagne football against some of the clubs up north especially this time of year so for my money there is no club better suited in the county for this competition. You gotta be able to slog it out but you need quality up front when the limited chances come your way.
I'd be hoping they give a good account of themselves and I think 25/1 represents great value. If they do happen to slay the Down men those odds will slash dramatically.

rodney trotter

Ramor should give a decent a game against Kilcoo in Breffni. Its on before the Intermediate game.
The full forward line really good, Cole was scoring and creating. James Brady had a very consistent Championship and Jack Brady playing really well at Centre back.  Sean McEvoy excellent tpp.

Ramor were a better all round team then Gowna. Gowna have a good team maybe need another 2 players to come in and improve the team. A few from this years Minors might be there next year.

Look-Up!

Yes Gowna have a good team and with the right additions you would imagine it will be hard to stop them lifting the cup over the coming years. They'll be losing a few players as well though- don't know how long more McKeever or Bannon to name but 2 will give it. It shouldn't be understated how good McKeever in particular was this year so that's going to be a huge void especially in the leadership stakes, an area where Gowna were very much lacking in, when the chips were really down. 

It's hard to predict what direction young lads will take either. Once their studies are done and they have to choose a career path and some hard decisions, football can often take a back seat. So while the future is looking bright for them at the moment, fortunes can take a turn south just as quick for a parish operating with small numbers. Injuries didn't help them this year either in the final. Something all clubs have to deal with but when the options off the bench are much less, this can exacerbate the problems.

rodney trotter

Yeah McKeever is still a quality player. I think his best position is half forward, but they need his experience in defence .
David Hyland was a very good midfielder, working in Dubai now. Big athletic player who could score, but all clubs lose players. David Phillips gone  as well.

Hopefully the 3 Cavan clubs can give good perormance in Ulster.

Truth hurts

why did Cian Mackey go to MULLINALAGHTA?

rodney trotter

He's living there.

Mackey was on the Football pod during the week https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icUf5yR9edY

Westside

Who are the new minor managers? Good to see some youth involved with Niall and Liam Brady.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Westside on November 19, 2021, 09:39:06 PM
Who are the new minor managers? Good to see some youth involved with Niall and Liam Brady.

Seanie Smith Mullahoran
Barry McGahan Cootehill

Itchy

Anyone else hear Sean Johnston is now added as a selector to Cavan Seniors. A real poor appointment in my opinion, how anyone could listen to the likes of him on a county panel is beyond me.

mrdeeds

Didn't hear. Good signing by Kingscourt.

Itchy

I heard Ramor vrs Killcoo is live on RTE. Hopefully they can buck the trend and do something our previous Co champs have struggled to do.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on November 23, 2021, 11:27:24 AM
Anyone else hear Sean Johnston is now added as a selector to Cavan Seniors. A real poor appointment in my opinion, how anyone could listen to the likes of him on a county panel is beyond me.

Just as a Forwards coach, no? Not sure he's a selector as well considering Graham has John and Ricey there as well...