Ground Naming Rights

Started by Itchy, January 15, 2024, 09:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

PUC should be renamed Pairc na bhFiacha. Debt Park
Pearse Stadium in Galway is Pairc na Gaoithe
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Scarlet

The Tanaiste is chipping in too...pointing out that the government handed over €30m...
In fairness he is playing up to his Cork base there a bit, but he does have a point. Are they dropping PUC fully or is SuperValu PUC. I see different reports on it.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Norm-Peterson

Have never been to Cork but it is an important place in Ulster's history after events at Kinsale.

seafoid

Does anyone know why PUC's financial projections didn't work out ?

armaghniac

There is a bit of trickery here. Announce that the place will be called Supervalu park then when the row starts compromise on called it Supervalu Páirc Uí Chaoimh. When Micheál Martin complains about this, then retort that he should find some other source of funds then.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Sportacus

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 16, 2024, 10:42:38 AMLongford are hoping to change the naming rights of the County Grounds to Elon Musk Pearse Park in 2025.

We need 5 million for the Cinntir of Excellence that is planned for next door.

Anything other than Center Parc and they're missing a trick there.

weareros

Quote from: seafoid on January 16, 2024, 11:43:17 AMPUC should be renamed Pairc na bhFiacha. Debt Park

Galway were supposed to announce a Salthill name sponsor shortly or did it happen? A number of big grounds like Elverys MacHale Park, FBD Semple, Kingspan Breffni have already gone down that road. Bit late to kick up a fuss over POC. In rugby, Lansdowne Road is long the Aviva. They got plenty of money from the gov too. Didn't see the FF gov kick up a fuss.

twohands!!!

Quote from: seafoid on January 16, 2024, 04:58:57 PMDoes anyone know why PUC's financial projections didn't work out ?

The basic thing is that they adopted a yerra build it, everything will be grand attitude.
They decided we're building a new stadium and they worked backwards to try and fit the economic facts to make it make sense.They had to submit their business plan to the Dept of Finance three times after the first two efforts were rejected as inadequate and the version I heard that there was political involvement so that the third version wasn't rejected. Basically the department said their forecasts on everything positive were wildly over-optimistic in terms of corporate tickets/number of matches/crowds at matches/profits from concerts and that costs were under-estimated. There was talk at one point that the direct government chunk of €30m was not going to be handed over. All this talk obviously reached the ears of someone in the EU as they did a review of this but the EU weren't able to prove anything.
Ironically in one version of their business plan they had budgeted for receiving €150k for naming rights to the stadium in 2017 as part of their projected budget.The fact that it has taken them until now to get this deal done should provide an insight in the competence levels.
So the original forecasts over-estimated revenue and underestimated costs.
Things were made worse by the fact that the construction budget went wildly over budget.
This is based on stuff I've read over the years in the papers and Phoenix as well as stuff I've heard.
The tragic thing is that there seems to be a lot of similarities between what went on with PuC and what's gone/going on with the Casement Park. The big difference is that the Casement project seems to have been thrown a life ring with the Euros situation. However if anything happens to that life ring I really can't see Casement not being Puc 2.0

Brendan

Never be as bad as the Derry County board allowing the county ground name to be sold to a Scottish football team...

PadraicHenryPearse

Govt considering sign off on naming of stadium...

now that's a great outcome.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Itchy on January 16, 2024, 09:04:55 AM
Quote from: naka on January 16, 2024, 08:26:56 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 15, 2024, 09:30:02 PMWe're the same. Be a cold day in hell before I call it the box it athletic grounds. Another shitty soccer trend coming into our game.

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 15, 2024, 09:30:02 PMWe're the same. Be a cold day in hell before I call it the box it athletic grounds. Another shitty soccer trend coming into our game.

It's easy money
Don't think anyone will call it anything other than the athletic grounds

It is easy money but is nothing sacred anymore.

Imagine if HQ was called Coke Park, with a giant Coca Cola sign to greet you as you arrive. Would people stand for that, I doubt it. I think there are somethings you just leave alone.
It's easy money

Imagine if HQ was called Coke Park, with a giant Coca Cola sign to greet you as you arrive. Would people stand for that, I doubt it. I think there are somethings you just leave alone.
Coke Park! Are the Kinihan's looking to sponsor it?
Careful now

seafoid

The Athletic grounds could of course be sponsored by the Athletic
It could be the Athletic Athletic grounds

Or jointly by the Athletic and Atletico Madrid
 The Athletic Atletico grounds

Or the full title

The Athletic Atletico Gaelic Athletic Athletic grounds

Rossfan

Quote from: weareros on January 16, 2024, 06:58:21 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 16, 2024, 11:43:17 AMPUC should be renamed Pairc na bhFiacha. Debt Park

Galway were supposed to announce a Salthill name sponsor shortly or did it happen?

Heard they didn't proceed with a multi national as the CB wanted to keep Pearse in the name.
The multi national now to do the rugger ground.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 17, 2024, 12:54:32 AM

It's easy money

It's easy money

Coke Park! Are the Kinihan's looking to sponsor it?

They have competition from McGregor, bidding war. You know Colin likes a war apparently.

seafoid

There are only 2 stadiums on the island of Ireland that have enough regular business to justify an all singing and all dancing builder's fantasy >40,000 seated capacity , corporate boxes, concerts, gridiron, boxing etc modernisation- Croke Park and Lansdowne Road.And even then the Government has to chip in.

"One should never tear down something without knowing why it was built in the first place."
 GK Chesterton