AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aughafad

I think it's about time RTE had a clear out of football commentators, be that Spillane, MM, Kavanagh, McStay, Whelan and o'rourke. 

Sky beats them every time when it comes to Football coverage, be that ex-players or proper journalists examining and breaking down the game instead or bullshit stories, personal attacks, "back in the day" diatribes and the same old platitudes.

From a northern perspective Oisin is very good but thats about it

Keyser soze

Some posters<             >the joke about Derry AI finals

yellowcard

Quote from: Aughafad on September 14, 2021, 12:05:05 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 14, 2021, 11:31:24 AM
That's a very honest article by McStay, have always thought he was one of the better pundits working in the media and he has walked the line so has seen the GAA from every side.

He makes particularly good points about how Mayo seem to produce an abundance of athletic running type footballers but very few final third finishers. Also raised an interesting statistic about how Mayo had 8 wides, a missed penalty and 2 balls dropped short in the final third of the match. That is a meltdown of bad decision making by anybodys standards.

I'm also glad that somebody from within Mayo football has finally had a go back at Brolly after he stuck the boot in again the morning after an AI final defeat. He needs to be challenged on those personal attacks but a lot are afraid to get drawn in and speak out about it.

Where was McStay's statement on the personal abuse brolly doled out to Cavanagh a few years ago? Not much use calling out that type of personal attack only when it hits close to home.
He has had ample opportunities and a TV platform to call Brolly out previously but failed to do so.

If someone attacks one of your own it is much more likely that you will jump to their defence than a player from another county. On that basis I'm sure that you think that Tyrone GAA media personalities should be lambasting Brolly now over comments made about O'Shea and O'Horan then? I've yet to see any of them do so and nor do I expect that they will.

imtommygunn

I don't think they ever even bother talking about him tbh. I imagine Dooher, Logan etc couldn't give a crap about him.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 14, 2021, 01:40:57 PM
I don't think they ever even bother talking about him tbh. I imagine Dooher, Logan etc couldn't give a crap about him.
Yes they wouldn't, Brolly craves attention and will always attack the hot topic which was another All-Ireland final loss for Mayo and attack one of their most high profile players for losing it. I have no doubt Joe is delighted that McStay gave him a mention in the Irish Times.

Cobra

It is amazing what can be achieved when you go out with an ambition to win rather than not to lose. That extra pep in your step. Go long, take a risk, look for the extra pass to create the goal chance. Fantastic. Brilliant to watch. We were well worth our victory. We got our match ups right and rather than Mayo playing poorly we didn't allow them to play well and there is a difference. We controlled how the game panned out. It was not down to Mayo but down to us and how we managed the game.

JoG2

Quote from: God14 on September 14, 2021, 11:51:24 AM
That's a very honest article by McStay, have always thought he was one of the better pundits working in the media and he has walked the line so has seen the GAA from every side.

He makes particularly good points about how Mayo seem to produce an abundance of athletic running type footballers but very few final third finishers. Also raised an interesting statistic about how Mayo had 8 wides, a missed penalty and 2 balls dropped short in the final third of the match. That is a meltdown of bad decision making by anybodys standards.

I'm also glad that somebody from within Mayo football has finally had a go back at Brolly after he stuck the boot in again the morning after an AI final defeat. He needs to be challenged on those personal attacks but a lot are afraid to get drawn in and speak out about it.

+1

One of the best articles I've read, and I've read many since Saturdays game

Enjoy listening to McStay, he is passionate but never goes full Brolly or Spillane. And as has been said above, he's walked the line. Brolly hasn't and I doubt he ever will.

And I know I'm adding to his oxegen, but the man is a complete clown in his columns. Cavanagh, Skinner, O'Shea etc, all at the receiving end of his venum.
The article, re Mayo : 'Time wasters', 'embarrassing', 'this contest was over before it even began'... Absolute garage, real gutter press writing seeking attention.
At a national level, there's only one like Brolly, and thank god, for these players are all club / community men, amateurs, volunteers. They don't deserve to be getting both barrels from Brolly. The Daily Mail would suit him.

BennyCake

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 14, 2021, 12:47:52 PM

Where was McStay's statement on the personal abuse brolly doled out to Cavanagh a few years ago? Not much use calling out that type of personal attack only when it hits close to home. He has had amble opportunities and a TV platform to call Brolly out previously but failed to do so.

Ah now ! A lot of people in fairness called out Brolly for his attack on Cavanagh, I think that was the start of his downfall in RTÉ .

Fact is, he has become a lot more insidious and nasty in relation to Mayo footballers in the recent past.
These are young men who are amateurs , not Premiership footballers where they have a fat salary to go with the abuse.

They are the easy target for losing a number of finals. Narcissists do that, pick on easy prey. You have to wonder if Brollys personal insults/attacks is to disguise the lack of success in his own career as a county footballer. His record doesn't stand up to other pundits like Spillane, O'Rourke, Tomas O'Se, Cooper.

Whatever about Mayo's failures to get over the line, they have come back year after year, regularly competing for AI's. They are amateurs, giving their time and effort, and have given their supporters some great days. Some heartbreaking ones too. But I'd love for us to be competing annually in the latter stages like Mayo.

Jayop

More than one Brolly. Both Spillane and ORourke have also gone on public agenda driven personal attacks against players. They may not do it as often but the effect on their victim is just as strongly felt.

yellowcard

Quote from: BennyCake on September 14, 2021, 04:03:55 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on September 14, 2021, 12:47:52 PM

Where was McStay's statement on the personal abuse brolly doled out to Cavanagh a few years ago? Not much use calling out that type of personal attack only when it hits close to home. He has had amble opportunities and a TV platform to call Brolly out previously but failed to do so.

Ah now ! A lot of people in fairness called out Brolly for his attack on Cavanagh, I think that was the start of his downfall in RTÉ .

Fact is, he has become a lot more insidious and nasty in relation to Mayo footballers in the recent past.
These are young men who are amateurs , not Premiership footballers where they have a fat salary to go with the abuse.

They are the easy target for losing a number of finals. Narcissists do that, pick on easy prey. You have to wonder if Brollys personal insults/attacks is to disguise the lack of success in his own career as a county footballer. His record doesn't stand up to other pundits like Spillane, O'Rourke, Tomas O'Se, Cooper.

Whatever about Mayo's failures to get over the line, they have come back year after year, regularly competing for AI's. They are amateurs, giving their time and effort, and have given their supporters some great days. Some heartbreaking ones too. But I'd love for us to be competing annually in the latter stages like Mayo.

I think he knows that they are just easy prey and won't hit back, its the classic action of a bully with a pen. Neither Dooher, Logan, McGeeney or any of them managers from his own era and closer to home would tolerate that bullshit and he knows that they would rightly call him out were he ever to have a go at them. That is why I am glad that at least McStay had the balls to call him out over it but I know that many others won't and will just shrug it off by saying 'ah thats just Joe' or by trying to brush it off by saying that he is best ignored. When really they are just afraid to call it out for what it is. 

From the Bunker

Ah McStay, He's no fool. Always pragmatic when Mayo loses another All Ireland. He knows how to plámás the situation. He's a long time on the Sunday Game, gets a lot of the co-commentary gigs. Like most RTE co-commentators he won't rock the boat. He's a safe bet! You have a employee who rolls along, uses the modern jargon like offensive play, high push, percentage score, etc. You know, I almost feel McStay introduced most of this new lingo to the game. Unlike Spillane and O'Rourke he looks further than soundbites and irrelevant stats. But they will always get the limelight because they criticise and belittle. And we as a nation sort of like that. We like to see a dog kicked when they are down especially a rival dog or a dog who got a bit full of himself.

I used to read McStay when he wrote in the local Newspaper 'The Mayo News'. His articles on reflection seem the same as now, I bet one could cut and paste one of those from 10-15 years ago and no-one would notice the difference. The only difference is he has grown indifferent to Mayo football since 2014. It can be noticed in what he does not say more so in what he says. And maybe who can blame him?

Sportacus

Jonny Doyle is a fella I like listening to on the podcasts. A fine player, plenty of insight and just a good feel for the game and the players.  It would be great to see some new faces.  It's tiresome watching Spillane and Kavanagh interrupt each other. O'Rourke, McStay and Whelan couldn't complain if fresh faces came in.

whitey

I like the time the brothers of a well known Mayo player back in the 90s were going to batter Spillane up in Croke Park, and Martin Carney had to smuggle him out of the stadium in the boot of his car

seafoid

Quote from: Sportacus on September 14, 2021, 10:14:40 PM
Jonny Doyle is a fella I like listening to on the podcasts. A fine player, plenty of insight and just a good feel for the game and the players.  It would be great to see some new faces.  It's tiresome watching Spillane and Kavanagh interrupt each other. O'Rourke, McStay and Whelan couldn't complain if fresh faces came in.
Johnny Doyle is excelleny but he may be needed in the Kildarw management team
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tbrick18

RTE need to do a complete clear out of their commentary teams and pundits, including Cantwell.
Of the current panel, the only ones I would keep are O'Se and Cooper (even though both are Kerry).
Everyone else is dire.

The format needs refreshed imo as it's just tired.

Spillane, McStay, Cavanagh, Whelan....all tripe and soundbites. I don't mind O'Rourke so much but he's rarely on these days).

I've no idea what the Sky coverage is like as I don't have sky and don't agree with a paid for service like that, but it couldn't be any worse than RTE.

I'd love to see the likes of Marty Clarke on RTE. Johnny Doyle could be a good shout. Dessie Dolan seemed to be there for a while and wasn't the worst.
It would be better I think if they had recently retired players only and change it up every year or two. Would keep it fresh. I know you could say Cavanagh fits that profile, but I think he's rubbish and never has anything insightful to say and stutters too much. My opinion only.

As for Joanne cantwell....there has to be a more natural presenter than her. Everything is so scripted with her and it just feels contrived and boring.

As for Mayo - I kind of agree that they were only allowed to play the game on Tyrone terms, but I also believe that they are hamstrung by the fear of losing now given what has happened. Easier to say than do, but they need to play with the confidence of winners and they don't have that confidence as a team or management. Tyrone on the other hand, always play with a swagger where they believe they can win even if they have no right to (not a criticism). It's why they keep surprising people. Their own self belief  or arrogance has driven them on many times now....perhaps that's part of why 31 other counties love to see them beat  ;D