Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upandwin

Don't know about a mental block tbf...make no mistake, the teams last night were evenly enough matched on paper. If you took 7 certain starters out of the team in Burren, Kilcoo, Mayobridge or Clonduff in a championship game then I think Longstone would put it up to any of them on any given night.

Truth hurts

Did they not fire a load of them on, do you think CPN took the Stone for granted not starting the 5 starters.

Good luck to Saul tonight, a massive occasion for a club that is always willing to help out East Down clubs

upandwin

100% we did not take the stone for granted. I genuinely think that was the best team available to us last night. 4/5 long term injuries and D McAleenan missing with Covid or illness or something. That's why I've been saying this week I felt we were there for the taking...every club has their injury problems so no excuse. Let's hope there's an entertaining game this eve in Liatroim but I think this will be the result everyone expected last night...if burren are full out they'll win by 10-15pts

Smurfy123

Went to the Burren and Saul match
Jesus talk about a miss match
Burren should have won by 30 think it was 20 in the end
I'll go for
Castlewellan
Downpatrick
Clonduff
Bryansford
Kilcoo
Ballyholland

No1

Quote from: Truth hurts on September 17, 2021, 02:53:43 PM
Good luck to Saul tonight, a massive occasion for a club that is always willing to help out East Down clubs

Eh, how's that?

Mourne Red

This whole East Down vs South Down bullshit bores the life out of me.. There's 1 Football County team we aren't split in two

Johnnysboys

3 division two clubs through in the winners section.. This would be some season if it was an actual championship instead of a back door gate receipts one...

supersub

Quote from: Johnnysboys on September 18, 2021, 10:26:18 PM
3 division two clubs through in the winners section.. This would be some season if it was an actual championship instead of a back door gate receipts one...

But it's not. It's the same as every other season the last few years. There's always subconsciously the fact of the back door in any team's mind. Just because a team took a scalp this week doesn't mean if it had been straight knockout the same would have happened. It's all ifs and buts.

Mourne Red

Is there relegation from championship this year? Or is it scrapped from Championship and League this year?

Nanderson

Quote from: Mourne Red on September 18, 2021, 11:51:38 PM
Is there relegation from championship this year? Or is it scrapped from Championship and League this year?
I would imagine there would have to be as the intermediate and junior champions will have to move up a championship. Isn't it usually between the teams that lose both their games?

Smurfy123

If it was knockout I don't think we would have taken Longstone for granted
Pasted them every other time we play them and I'm only thinking the players thought it to be the same
The losers group is is lookin tough and will even more after tonight
Everyone will be wanting Castlewellan or Saul
Our lads back training this morning to put right Thursdays result

Nanderson

Lovely shot of the Kilcoo lads watering the pitch in their pre-match huddle. Absolutely grim stuff

Lotto

Kilcoo good for their win, obviously there for the taking but Mayobridge stepped back and stopped going at them. Even when they were four down with 5 minutes left, they were still conditioned to sit back and not go for it. Why change a plan that was working in the first half and really troubled Kilcoo.

Just wondering why the so called 'Down's oldest club' have changed their traditional sky blue colours.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Lotto on September 19, 2021, 06:18:53 PM
Kilcoo good for their win, obviously there for the taking but Mayobridge stepped back and stopped going at them. Even when they were four down with 5 minutes left, they were still conditioned to sit back and not go for it. Why change a plan that was working in the first half and really troubled Kilcoo.

Just wondering why the so called 'Down's oldest club' have changed their traditional sky blue colours.

I have often wondered why they changed colour myself.. is it an O'Neill's thing or committee thing??

Kilcoo just do what they do - get the job done. Half back line looked lively going forward and up front Laverty talking everyone through the game - still hate the way he dives though - after 18 odd years playing senior footy - fuckin wise up.. Not so sure the bridge "plan" was so good - but kilcoo worked it out and negated their key men. Quinn hit 5 points in first half - starve supply into him - problem sorted.. Annett was very poor today IMO - was looking forward to him getting at kilcoo with his free flowing game but saw nothing.. Thought the ref was lenient on a few occasions when they shud have been black card decisions - took the easy way out with yellow.
Clonduff were very good tonight - pace, power, height, decision making - all in their favour..

maldini

Quote from: Nanderson on September 19, 2021, 10:05:14 AM
Quote from: Mourne Red on September 18, 2021, 11:51:38 PM
I would imagine there would have to be as the intermediate and junior champions will have to move up a championship. Isn't it usually between the teams that lose both their games?

Was that not just a one off last year as there were no leagues?
It'll go on league positions from this season I'd imagine
EG 2022 SFC will be 10 Division 1 teams, top 5 from Division 2 and IFC winner