mayo hurling

Started by the bucket, November 13, 2006, 02:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muscles magoo

Pointing the finger at Galway for our hurling woes is a bit rich surely....??

neilthemac

if clubs in Roscommon/Mayo cannot get challenge matches vs Galwya teams, or are never invited to underage blitzs or leagues, then how are they meant to improve and progress to better level of hurling

the bucket

Quote from: muscles magoo on November 15, 2006, 12:33:46 PM
Pointing the finger at Galway for our hurling woes is a bit rich surely....??

we are not blaming galway for all our woes, the question was asked did galway help in any way and was answered that they never helped and its a bit rich when you hear all the galway hurling people criticising the rest of gaa for not helping them when it comes to hurling and they completely ignore everyone else in connaught" reap what you sow"

muscles magoo

Ultimately it's up to the Clubs & CB's in Mayo & Roscommon to drag themselves up to a level where it would be at least somewhat beneficial for a club in Galway to play these teams in challenge games, blitzes etc. At the moment this is not the case. Hammering the shite out of a team isn't necessarily going to make either side into a better one.  You may have a point on the underage scene though. Perhaps the Mayo/Roscommon clubs could be entered into the Galway Co Championship at the B or C grade and see how that goes for a few years. I'm sure the logistical problems involved would probably render that idea useless however...

highking

Three clubs in Mayo seeked entry into the Galway B Hurling Competitions last year. Entry was granted by the Juvenile Board in Galway. However, when the Connacht Council got wind of this, they refused to allow the Mayo teams to take part. Galway Juvenile board then refused entry to the Mayo teams. Reason for exclusion was that under GAA rules, a team cannot take part in two different Championships in two different counties. Galways Championship and League is intertwined so Mayo Clubs arent aloud take part. No by-law was introduced by Connacht Council to allow Mayo teams to take part in Galway. I wonder why?

the bucket

I know castlebar did take part at u12 level and under 14 level in galway this year, and competed well.

neilthemac

as did Four Roads from Roscommon for the last few years

very hard for clubs in roscommon to bring up the standard of hurling amongst themselves with only 6 underage clubs - essential to be playing 'unknown' superior teams to show the young players the standard that they too could reach.

Mayo4Sam

The junior league final between ballina & tooreen looks like it'll be sunday week, as ballina's u-21's are playing this sunday, no venue decided as yet
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

the bucket

did ballina beat westport by much, toreen won 4-9 to 1-3

sheskin

There is an increadable snobbery attached to hurling. I have been told by people from "hurling counties" that my son could never become a top class hurler because I did not come from a traditional county and did not play myself. I could understand this if i was coaching him myself but he is being coached by a former all ireland winning captain.
we have found that the besy way to improve standards and to give the lads confidence that their skills are ok is to play clubs from the strong counties. At underage there is very little between them. The problem in Dublin is that most of the better players choose football when they have to choose. The reality is that you cannot play both even at top club level.

highking

Westport couldnt field. Gave the game to Ballina. To be fair they were beaten in the Senior about two months ago and closed up shop for the year. Ballina (without two county players) now play Tooreen (without six county players) in the Genfitt League Final. Will probably be played in Ballyvary next Sunday week.

the bucket

Keith Higgins is one of the finest hurlers in the country and he is not from the elite.
How insulting of anyone to say that about your son, Dublin were one the best hurling counties in the country and seem to be on the way back so hopefully you and your son will have a chance of proving the snobs wrong.
What county were these people from who insulted your son.?

neilthemac

f**k them all! you play hurling for the love of it. not winning all-ireland titles

a young lad from Roscommon Gaels nearly won the Feile skills competition this year down in Cork, beaten by half a point.

the bucket

Any news on the management set up for 2007,?

Are 2006 management been reappointed or have they found someone new?

sheskin

Bucket
The people that made those statements were from Tipp and Limerick but the attidude is widespread. One Kilkenny man that has a very good job in the financial world believes that there is no point in coaching huling skills that you are either born with the skill or not. These people are very happy to keep the game confined to a few elite counties.
Best of luck to all involved in developing hurling in Mayo but there are so many obsticles in the way.