Is it time for management contracts in GAA? - Tom Humphries (Irish Times)

Started by dec, December 07, 2009, 02:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

Is it time for management contracts in GAA?

Mon, Dec 07, 2009

LOCKER ROOM: The management of a senior intercounty team is an extraordinary feat for any amateur to perform, writes TOM HUMPHRIES

NOT LONG after Dublin won the All-Ireland final of 1976 the players were summoned to a meeting in a central Dublin hotel. At the meeting Kevin Heffernan told them he was stepping down as manager. Before they left the Gresham that night the players had selected Tony Hanahoe to be their new manager. It was under the aegis of Hanahoe that Dublin won the memorable 1977 All-Ireland. At some stage after that, in a manoeuvre borrowed from Lanigan's Ball, Hanahoe stepped out and Heffernan stepped in again.

It was all very civilised and under the enlightened chairmanship of Jimmy Grey the Dublin County Board felt no need to interfere in the running of a happy and successful team.

Of course Dublin were top of the heap at the time. Except in Cork, where putting manners on lads is a priority, success rarely makes a failure of a home where there are medals crowding the mantelpiece. It would be interesting though to look back and wonder what might have happened had the Dublin County Board decided it wanted to try a bit of croppy lie down with its most charismatic team ever.

That was all so long ago and in GAA terms the long ago is the least likely place to find signs of enlightenment. The Dublin County Board was happy though and felt no need to interfere in a situation where players were happy too. Since then what we call with casual hyperbole "the cult of the manager" has taken root. Heffernan and Mick O'Dwyer were the first managers deemed to have achieved cult status and since then just about any manager who wins an All-Ireland is elevated, in the media at least, to the rank of guru.

We forget, of course, that by default somebody must be left standing and some county has to win the All-Ireland every year. We know only that it won't be Mayo. There have been years in both football and hurling when we really should (by public vote or through Joe Duffy) have just said that given the poor and uninspiring standard of play no prize will be awarded. Instead we crown somebody guru every September and a host of the other counties slavishly follow the style of the guru for the next 12 months.

The manufacturing of so many gurus, of course, has the downside of inevitable and widespread disappointment. There is no warranty with a guru. History has proven this is more likely to be a problem in hurling where both within the blue-blood counties and without there is a belief that the mysteries of the game are so vast as to be unknowable to all but an elect few Brahmins.

The whole business of players discontent with managers is so much more pronounced in hurling than it is in football for that simple reason. There is a suspicion that you need certain credentials granted by Hogwarts to turn players into All-Ireland hurlers.

In reality what you need is what the Americans used to call people skills. Sometimes you are the right fit. Sometimes you are not. It's about intuition.

Hence Ger Loughnane, who brought an infinitely less gifted Clare team to a couple of All-Irelands in the 1990s, departed Galway with his tail between his legs. Babs was not the right man for Offaly or for the modern day Tipp players. Michael Bond could intuit what was happening with Offaly and pitched his sail to ride the winds. Justin got so far in Waterford and no further. John Meyler got the heave in Wexford. Mike Mac has his back to the wall in Clare. Gerald Mac got the shoulder in Cork and the man has yet to live who will make all of Limerick happy now that the memory of their three Under-21 All-Irelands in a row is receding.

Hurling is a strange game. Brian Cody, whose guru credentials none of us can question, once said after a helter-skelter match in Croker that standing on the sideline there was very little which could be done to influence the outcome, the game unfolds so quickly and is over sometimes before you have discerned a trend.

This was the sort of admission that only an outrageously successful manager in Kilkenny could make. The game does run at electric pace and on the crazy days when two teams throw everything at it you can spend a few minutes watching your corner forward to see if he is afraid of the corner back or what and meanwhile your own corner back might get taken for 1-2 because your centre back is allowing himself to get pulled hither and thither into the space being left by the midfielder who is occupying the spot left by the right wing forward who is going back to sweep and preventing any ball from reaching your corner forward in the first place.

Hurling is strange because in the absence of a transfer system the counties who have their structure right and their hurling culture in order will inevitably float to the top again and again. Very few of the revolutions we have seen over the years are sustainable because the energy fades or football reasserts itself or the guru goes past his expiration date.

And yet every year with increasing frequency we see these outbreaks borne of discontent or heartache in hurling counties. The fall guys are usually men in their middle years or beyond who fail to connect fully with the dressingroom. Men who have a bit of success under their belts and have lost the ability to re-invent themselves.

And that's the lesson perhaps for the GAA. The management of any senior intercounty team is an extraordinary feat for any amateur to perform. A panel of 30 or more players has to be kept happy along with a county board and the clubs. The details of every row you have or gaffe you make gets recounted in 30 homes that very evening after training and then gets exponential circulation the next day.

And in a structure where there will be just one winner and 31 failures every year you have to keep selling yourself to your players and to your board and to the public. You have to apply discipline but act with humility. You must endure the input of every dog and divil who stops you on the street.

We need to hit a new age of enlightenment when it comes to the appointment of intercounty managers. Cork were on to something when they appointed players' reps on to the committee which appointed new managers, but the system was doomed when the players chose to take the positions themselves and the county board chose to ride roughshod over the committee anyway.

Ultimately though, as every season's unrest proves, it is the players' game. They own it. If you give your time voluntarily and if you come to believe you are wasting that time it is your right to withdraw your services and submit to golf. Nobody has any contracts.

And that is the next step surely. Contracts. Job Descriptions. Now is the wrong environment to be considering this in but what is wrong with management contracts within the GAA? Suppose the association came up with the notion of a three-year contract which required a county manager to take a sabbatical from work and devote himself not just to the senior intercounty team three nights a week but to overseeing the structures of the sport within the county, to making sure all parts of a standard template were functioning. In the winter time the low profile work of coaching the coaches and spreading the guruness would be his bread and butter. In the spring and summer the county team would have first claim on his time.

He'd have some security. A county like Roscommon might be able to afford the enthusiasm and organisation of an Anthony Daly or a Liam Griffin. And county boards would be a lot more careful about who they recruited and who they didn't recruit.

Croke Park could appoint somebody with the expertise to standardise contracts and advise on recruitment etc. Whatever the rights or wrongs of every dispute which distracts us in the winter the GAA can't go on like this. High performance expertise in, say amateur boxing, has been bought and paid for with obvious results in the last few years.

The GAA does an under-the-table version of the same from club to county level anyway. Flooding that whole murky area with light would serve everybody well.

© 2009 The Irish Times

Bud Wiser

Are managers not paid already out of a joint fund from the Irish Sports Council and the GAA? 

If they are to be paid then they should all get the same, the idea of a small county like Laois paying a manager 80,000 and expenses should not be allowed.  Anyway, by the time Cork and Limerick and Clare players and a few other counties are finished flexing their muscles there won't be a need for managers.

What is deployment of personell and Provincial Games Managers? Anyone? Apart from being nearly two million?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

screenexile

Paddy Heaney did a similar article a few years ago and it seems to be the way things are going. Counties now have coaching development officers and sooner rather than later I imagine a County will employ their manager in this role in order that they can monitor and pay them.

I believe it is the way forward and why many will cry that it is a move towards professionalism I really don't think it is. I would never advocate that the amateur status of players be altered but the way Inter County management (and a lot of club management for that matter) is going there is no way it is sustainable for individuals without doing it on a Full Time Basis

stephenite

Quote from: screenexile on December 08, 2009, 11:16:24 AM
I believe it is the way forward and why many will cry that it is a move towards professionalism I really don't think it is. I would never advocate that the amateur status of players be altered but the way Inter County management (and a lot of club management for that matter) is going there is no way it is sustainable for individuals without doing it on a Full Time Basis

Fair enough if that's your opinion, but I don't think it's realistic that the top players will not see the manager getting paid and wonder "wheres mine?"

Billys Boots

QuoteI believe it is the way forward and why many will cry that it is a move towards professionalism I really don't think it is.

All sports that want to develop (amateur or professional) need to appoint full-time professionals in this way.  The FAI, for example, have about 20 Development Officers, each responsibel for a particular territory.  Their function is to liaise with all the clubs in their area, providing coaching courses, technical assistance/advice, expecially for the under-age teams.  It appears to work quite well for them.

Important note: don't take this as a lauding of the FAI, I just think this particular initiative has worked well. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

JMohan

Armagh have taken the first step with McGurn as a Full Time Coach

Next will be a Full Time Managers role for them in a few years ... (possibly for McGeeney?)

theskull1

The way some of you are talking youse must think the GAA lives in a bubble  :-\

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Maiden1

A large percentage of managers already get paid.  Even junior club teams in a lot of cases pay the manager.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

theskull1

Everybody has a tipping point

Of course all these current paid positions evolved over time because there wasn't and isn't currently enough volunteers to go round. But with more and more people getting paid within the GAA, the more we will see committed volunteers walking away as they see so many of the reasons of why they commited so much of their time eroded by this evolving structure.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: Man Marker on December 08, 2009, 01:01:54 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on December 08, 2009, 12:52:56 PM
Everybody has a tipping point

Of course all these current paid positions evolved over time because there wasn't and isn't currently enough volunteers to go round. But with more and more people getting paid within the GAA, the more we will see committed volunteers walking away as they see so many of the reasons of why they commited so much of their time eroded by this evolving structure.

FA to do with volunteers, its got to do with expertise. The gaa, as with all organisations or companies evolve and want to improve. A volunteer cannot develop the expertise required for these jobs in his voluntary capacity and thats why its becomes a paid role as it will attract the expert.

If only that were true.

INDIANA

Quote from: stephenite on December 08, 2009, 11:19:42 AM
Quote from: screenexile on December 08, 2009, 11:16:24 AM

Fair enough if that's your opinion, but I don't think it's realistic that the top players will not see the manager getting paid and wonder "wheres mine?"

I agree but already happening in junior club football in Dublin. I wouldn't bother with the county scene if I wanted a few quid. You have no idea how lucrative the club scene is. easier to hide the payments as well.

southsidejohnny

Humphries must still thick with Mayo over 2006 when they mucked up a Duds v Kerry A.I.F. Poor Tom had a book coming out that time about .. ahem..the great rivalry between the sides. Seems to me that it was a one way rivalry. Kerry battered the Dubs by embarressing scores in All Ireland finals. Just like they did in this years quarters. Nothing changes. Tom could stick in the Dubs beside Mayo...at least Mayo can make a final, its a mountain too far for the Dubs.

brokencrossbar1

€65 to €100 per night for junior cl;ubs in Cork.  Junior B hurling manager was charging €65 year before last to our club, told to sling his hook.  The day of the volunteer is gone.  I trained the football team this year on a voluntary basis but I would say I am one of the few.

ha ha derry

This is just crazy talk (contracts for managers). Should we not be going the other way about this ... trying to eradicate payment for managers ?
I agree with paid qualified coaches to service the needs of schools and under age games which is being done by most counties.
Most managers don,t coach.

longrunsthefox

Good to hear Kevin Lynch's still producing real gaels who understand the ethos of the GAA. Can't say I'm surprised tho.
Why has everyone given in to payments-the GPA and trying to make the GAA professional?  Just because so many see the GAA as the way to line their pockets doesn't mean we have to sureender to the obsession with money.