Joe Kernan: GAA could do with Kidney transplant (Belfast Telegraph)

Started by dec, March 26, 2009, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

Joe Kernan: GAA could do with Kidney transplant

If the GAA has much to celebrate this year given that it is now 125 years in existence – and stronger -than ever, let it be added – then two other sports currently have huge reasons for jubilation.

Rugby and boxing have over the course of the past few days combined to transform Ireland from a gloom-ridden, apprehensive, nervous country into a buoyant, confident, proud land.

Granted, the feelgood factor may be of a temporary nature but it is palpable nonetheless – so much so, indeed, that hard-nosed politicians have put their differences to the one side, sporting boundaries have been transcended with consummate ease and perceived religious and class barriers have suddenly become non-existent.

We may all be feeling the financial pinch but our hearts are happy. And if success is encapsulated in a Grand Slam triumph after a 61-year famine and a significant world boxing title, then it has been accompanied, too, by two qualities that are often conspicuous by their absence in sport and in society in general – honesty and humility.

The GAA fraternity in particular will doubtless have taken on board Declan Kidney's modest appraisal of the achievement of his Ireland side and his diplomatic evasion of a war of words with his Welsh counterpart Warren Gatland.

How refreshing to note the manner in which success was embraced without bombastic triumphalism and minus the insiduous goading that has become all too much part of some of our sporting arenas, including our GAA stadia

And if Kidney's quiet, courteous demeanour masked the steely resolve of one of the most successful sporting coaches of any hue that this country has produced, then Bernard Dunne's physical courage, iron will and subsequent uncomplicated assessment of the greatest night of his life made utterly compelling viewing.

My heart may belong to the GAA but my mind remains open to the lessons that can be absorbed from other sports – and there was certainly plenty of scope for learning over the course of last weekend.

When I considered the massive demands made on the human body at both the Millennium Stadium and the 02 Arena, I could not help thinking that perhaps we in the GAA tend to lose the run of ourselves on occasions.

Do we, for instance, really need to have recourse to the Disputes Resolution Authority as often as we do? Would a little more honesty, perhaps laced with a flavouring of humility, not render this unnecessary? And, in what we like to euphemistically refer to as a man's game, is not the ratio of cowardly acts rather too high?

We were all provided with food for thought last week-end not only by optimum performances from those charged with cementing national pride but from the gracious manner in which they took delivery of their hard-earned spoils of victory..

The celebrations are still continuing, of course. And so too are the events mapped out to mark the GAA's 125 anniversary.

How fitting it would be, too, if the National League title could be retained in Ulster for another year. Derry are certainly striving to ensure this and their clash with Tyrone on Saturday night should be an absolute cracker and I'll be surprised if there is less than a five-figure crowd in Healy Park.

Likewise, the turnstiles will click merrily at Crossmaglen where a now upbeat Armagh will host Meath while Fermanagh will seek to add more misery on Kieran McGeeney following his team's capitulation last Sunday.

And my good friend Seamus McEnaney will have his work cut out in trying to steer Monaghan past Division Two table-toppers Cork while Down boss Ross Carr badly needs a pick-me-up at Offaly's expense.

Donegal should gain at Westmeath's expense, Cavan will find it tough against Roscommon and Antrim should edge past Sligo.

slow corner back

Quote from: dec on March 26, 2009, 04:18:24 PM
Joe Kernan: GAA could do with Kidney transplant

If the GAA has much to celebrate this year given that it is now 125 years in existence – and stronger -than ever, let it be added – then two other sports currently have huge reasons for jubilation.

Rugby and boxing have over the course of the past few days combined to transform Ireland from a gloom-ridden, apprehensive, nervous country into a buoyant, confident, proud land.

Granted, the feelgood factor may be of a temporary nature but it is palpable nonetheless – so much so, indeed, that hard-nosed politicians have put their differences to the one side, sporting boundaries have been transcended with consummate ease and perceived religious and class barriers have suddenly become non-existent.

We may all be feeling the financial pinch but our hearts are happy. And if success is encapsulated in a Grand Slam triumph after a 61-year famine and a significant world boxing title, then it has been accompanied, too, by two qualities that are often conspicuous by their absence in sport and in society in general – honesty and humility.

The GAA fraternity in particular will doubtless have taken on board Declan Kidney's modest appraisal of the achievement of his Ireland side and his diplomatic evasion of a war of words with his Welsh counterpart Warren Gatland.

How refreshing to note the manner in which success was embraced without bombastic triumphalism and minus the insiduous goading that has become all too much part of some of our sporting arenas, including our GAA stadia

And if Kidney's quiet, courteous demeanour masked the steely resolve of one of the most successful sporting coaches of any hue that this country has produced, then Bernard Dunne's physical courage, iron will and subsequent uncomplicated assessment of the greatest night of his life made utterly compelling viewing.

My heart may belong to the GAA but my mind remains open to the lessons that can be absorbed from other sports – and there was certainly plenty of scope for learning over the course of last weekend.

When I considered the massive demands made on the human body at both the Millennium Stadium and the 02 Arena, I could not help thinking that perhaps we in the GAA tend to lose the run of ourselves on occasions.

Do we, for instance, really need to have recourse to the Disputes Resolution Authority as often as we do? Would a little more honesty, perhaps laced with a flavouring of humility, not render this unnecessary? And, in what we like to euphemistically refer to as a man's game, is not the ratio of cowardly acts rather too high?

We were all provided with food for thought last week-end not only by optimum performances from those charged with cementing national pride but from the gracious manner in which they took delivery of their hard-earned spoils of victory..

The celebrations are still continuing, of course. And so too are the events mapped out to mark the GAA's 125 anniversary.

How fitting it would be, too, if the National League title could be retained in Ulster for another year. Derry are certainly striving to ensure this and their clash with Tyrone on Saturday night should be an absolute cracker and I'll be surprised if there is less than a five-figure crowd in Healy Park.

Likewise, the turnstiles will click merrily at Crossmaglen where a now upbeat Armagh will host Meath while Fermanagh will seek to add more misery on Kieran McGeeney following his team's capitulation last Sunday.

And my good friend Seamus McEnaney will have his work cut out in trying to steer Monaghan past Division Two table-toppers Cork while Down boss Ross Carr badly needs a pick-me-up at Offaly's expense.

Donegal should gain at Westmeath's expense, Cavan will find it tough against Roscommon and Antrim should edge past Sligo.
I agree with a lot of what Joe says here but there was plenty of goading in the rugby last week. Warren Gatland all week for a start. Donnacha o Callaghan during the match got a penalty reversed against Ireland that cost three points by acting the ballb*g. If Joe wants diving and goading taken out of our games I am all for it but do not hold rugby players up as angels

Canalman

T Fearon

"Bombastic triumphalism? Insidious goading?"  Who is ghostwriting this?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Drumanee 1

i took it as a dig at mickey harte and mcmenamin with regards his comments about going to the dra as often as the gaa do,maybe me just trying to find something that aint there ::)

gorm agus bui

Quote from: T Fearon on March 26, 2009, 04:52:05 PM
"Bombastic triumphalism? Insidious goading?"  Who is ghostwriting this?
I think Benny wrote this for him

StGallsGAA

Joe hasn't seen too many rugby games if he hasn't witnessed much goading.  For fuxache there's goading, gouging, atteptms to rip the opponents balls clean off, you name it it's done it a ruck.

Stick to selling houses to the Armagh panel Joe.

MacCruiskeen

There's a PhD thesis in the catechism there. I'm rendered horizontal by a spherical sporting object at the title alone ... "Kidney Transplant" ... (truly) masterful.

MacCruiskeen

Here's an aisy wan. Using which geographical technique will events unfold, they will be mapped.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Armamike

I dunno who wrote that column but i'd wager 95% of it didn't come from Joe Kernan's mouth or pen.

Talking of Declan Kidney, the level of graciousness and humility he showed in his post match interview was great. He was quick to mention the role of others before him, such as Eddie O'Sullivan. He could easily have grabbed the glory for himself but he didn't, which says a lot about him.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Doogie Browser

Maybe big Joe did a Warren Feeney and just asked the journo to 'throw a few quotes down' easy mistake apparently  ::)

Armamike, you are right re Kidney, he mentioned just about everyone from the schools to the provinces to his predecessors, a lesson for all.

Diet Coke

Fermanagh will seek to add more misery on Kieran McGeeney following his team's capitulation last Sunday.

Well Joe should know all about that! ::)
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

corn02

Quote from: Doogie Browser on March 26, 2009, 10:14:35 PM
Maybe big Joe did a Warren Feeney and just asked the journo to 'throw a few quotes down' easy mistake apparently  ::)

What's that about Doogie?