The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Were the golfers useless when Rory won?

Anyone on here a member of Baltray?

Angelo

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 25, 2021, 04:52:41 PM
It's a fact that Rory has been in the top 10 golfers in the world for the last 10 years.

Majors have far more currency than rankings.

I don't take much pride in where Martin Breheny puts us at the end of each year but I do in trophies.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

trueblue1234

Quote from: Angelo on May 25, 2021, 05:13:20 PM
It's a fact that Rory has been in the top 10 golfers in the world for the last 10 years.

I don't take much pride in where Martin Breheny puts us at the end of each year but I do in trophies.

Irrelevant. It's a fact. I deal in facts.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Franko

They do - and hence, this is accounted for in that they are much more heavily weighted in terms of World Ranking points.

But the fact remains and cannot be disputed that McIlroy is still a top 10 golfer and has finished as such in 11 out of the past 12 years.

So to state as 'fact' that there's 10-15 better players out there than him over the past 6/7 years just doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

There may or may not be something in the rest of what you are saying.

It may be based in 'evidence' and 'parallels' but at the end of the day, it's only a prediction.

Only time will tell if you are correct.

So I don't really see why you keep bleating on about it.

Angelo

Quote from: Franko on May 25, 2021, 05:51:00 PM

They do - and hence, this is accounted for in that they are much more heavily weighted in terms of World Ranking points.

But the fact remains and cannot be disputed that McIlroy is still a top 10 golfer and has finished as such in 11 out of the past 12 years.

So to state as 'fact' that there's 10-15 better players out there than him over the past 6/7 years just doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

There may or may not be something in the rest of what you are saying.

It may be based in 'evidence' and 'parallels' but at the end of the day, it's only a prediction.

Only time will tell if you are correct.

So I don't really see why you keep bleating on about it.

Majors are the only currency worth talking about. I doubt players take much pride in their rankings if they are not winning the major ones.

McIlroy hasn't won one in 7 years.

We will see. I just think the heightened sensitivity over criticism of McIlroy on here is embarrassing when the criticism is completely justified.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

trueblue1234

You really don't like it when your opinion is challenged with facts. Chill Angelo, dial it down a notch.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: JimStynes on May 25, 2021, 01:49:22 PM
McIlroy playing his best beats all of them when they're playing their best. He just can't put the rounds together in the one tournament. I do think there is a bit of choking going on during the majors. Still Ireland's best sportsman all the same. I think he is a nice fella for being the global superstar that he is.

ask conor ridge what a nice fella he is  ::)

strange he hasn't won a major since that split  ;)

thebigfella

Quote from: Angelo on May 25, 2021, 04:44:02 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on May 25, 2021, 04:28:20 PM

You have zero knowledge on golf and how difficult it is to win a normal tour event let alone a Major - THESE ARE THE FACTS.

You criticism is based on false equivalences and manifestation of your personal bias's towards him.

That's not a fact Big Man. That's your opinion.

It's a fact McIlroy is 7 years without a major.
It's a fact that he won his majors in the post Tiger era dominance
It's a fact he has been left behind by the emerging generation (there's been at least 3 multiple major winners since McIlroy won his last and that will likely increase)

My criticisms are based on fact and factual parallels.

Funnily enough you have done exactly what I called out. You've attacked me and my points and criticism (which have been substantiated) with opinions and have offered nothing that actually backs up your argument whatsoever.

And you have the temerity to accuse me of manifestation and person bias? Please tell me you can see the irony of you throwing such an accusation about when my posts are backed up by very logical and factual incidents whereas you are trying to put your opinion and fanboy tendencies as points of order.

I see lots of the use of the word fact or facts...... grand then your criticisms are based on "your facts". 

dec

Estimator

This is going to be my only contribution to the nonsense that this has become. You can take from it whatever you want…

Since McIlroy (Born 1989) won his first in 2011, the following players have won their first majors:

Darren Clarke – Born 1968 – 1 Major: 2011 Open
Keegan Bradley – Born 1986 – 1 Major: 2011 PGA
*Bubba Watson – Born 1978 – 2 Majors: 2012, 2014 Masters*
Webb Simpson – Born 1985 – 1 Major: US Open
Adam Scott – Born 1980 – 1 Major: 2013 Masters
Justin Rose – Born 1980 – 1 Major: 2013 US Open
Jason Dufner – Born 1977 – 1 Major: 2013 PGA

*Jordan Speith – 1993 – 3 Majors: 2015 Masters, 2015 US Open, 2017 Open*
Jason Day – Born 1987 – 1 Major: 2015 PGA
Danny Willett – Born 1987 – 1 Major: 2016 Masters
*Dustin Johnson – Born 1984 – 2 Majors: 2020 Masters, 2016 US Open*
Henrik Stenson -  Born 1976 – 1 Major: 2016 Open
Jimmy Walker – Born 1979 – 1 Major:  2016 PGA
Sergio Garcia – Born 1980 – 1 Major: 2017 Masters
*Brooks Koepka – Born 1990 – 4 Majors: 2017, 2018 US Open; 2018, 2019 PGA*
Justin Thomas – Born 1993 – 1 Major: 2017 PGA
Patrick Reed  - Born 1990 – 1 Major: 2018 Masters

Francesco Molinari – Born 1982 – 1 Major: 2018 Open
Gary Woodland – Born 1984 – 1 Major: 2019 US Open
Shane Lowry – Born 1987 – 1 Major: 2019 Open
Collin Morikawa – Born 1997 – 1 Major: 2020 PGA
Bryson DeChambeau – Born 1993 – 1 Major: 2020 US Open
Hideki Matsuyama – Born 1992 – 1 Major: 2021 US Masters

Since McIlroy won his first major in 2011, the following players, who had already collected a major championship, also won more:
Ernie Els – Born 1969 – 1 Major: 2012 Open
*Phil Mickleson – Born 1970 – 2 Majors: 2013 Open, 2021 PGA*
Zach Johnson – Born 1976 – 1 Major: 2015 Open
Tiger Woods – Born 1975 – 1 Major: US Masters 2019

7 players younger than him have won major titles, only two of those have been multiple winners.
Morikawa is the only golfer significantly younger to win a major.

There have only been 4 multiple winners since McIlroy’s first – Koepka (4) & Speith (3) are the only players younger than him to do that.

Even if we look at when he won his last major in 2014, the majority of winners are still older than him.

The talk that McIlroy was doing it in a weaker era than before is very subjective, depending on the slant you want to put on it.  It would be easy to argue (if you really wanted to be twisted) that Spieth picked up his in a handy few years before DJ, Koepka & Bryson etc got going.

Now, lets look at some of the other major winners during Tigers reign between 1997 and 2008 – Lawrie, Beem, Weir, Ogilvy, Hamilton, Toms, Micheal.  Let’s not forget that Tiger, a once in a generation golfer, also had a two year barren spell during this period.

The argument that Mickelson would’ve made hay in a post-Tiger era doesn’t stack up to the fact, that in all his second place finishes (11), he only finished second to Tiger once.

Some of the golfers who finished second to Tiger in majors include: Chris DiMarco, Woody Austin, Rocco Mediate, Shaun Michael, Bob May – hardly a who’s who of Golfing Hall of Famers.

Who knows what the next few years will bring - Spieth, Bryson, Brooks, DJ could carve up the majors over the next few years, or all the old timers might be inspired by Mickelsons victory, or the likes of Hovland, Ancer, Smith, Zalatoris could start winning a few.  That is why golf is such a fantastic sport.

Thats me done with the McIlroy / Woods / Easy era arguments on this thread.

Ulster League Champions 2009

JimStynes

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on May 25, 2021, 07:15:27 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 25, 2021, 01:49:22 PM
McIlroy playing his best beats all of them when they're playing their best. He just can't put the rounds together in the one tournament. I do think there is a bit of choking going on during the majors. Still Ireland's best sportsman all the same. I think he is a nice fella for being the global superstar that he is.

ask conor ridge what a nice fella he is  ::)

strange he hasn't won a major since that split  ;)

Was that his agent? Did they not pay him over £20m? Don't know a lot about it.

Hound

JimStynes

Quote from: JimStynes on May 25, 2021, 04:56:11 PM
Were the golfers useless when Rory won?

Anyone on here a member of Baltray?

Anyone?

thewobbler

What's your angle Jim?

Based on last year, Baltray will be releasing a series of reasonably priced opens shortly

JimStynes

Quote from: thewobbler on May 25, 2021, 10:53:54 PM
What's your angle Jim?

Based on last year, Baltray will be releasing a series of reasonably priced opens shortly

My angle?? Ffs I just want to know if I can get a cheap round of golf with a member  :D. I had signed up for the opens last year but obviously didn't get to go. I have played Seapoint loads but want to get onto Baltray a few times and it's ridiculously expensive.