The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrinkingHarp

A little perspective on the Rory bashing.

As of today's stats:
7,874,965,825 people in the world
36,900,000 golfers in the world
27,000 golf pros in the world
Rory ranks 15th in the world
Rory ranks 39th all time in wins
Rory ranks 9th all time in majors

Pretty impressive to me.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Keyser soze

Why anyone pays their slightest bit of attention to what Rory says is beyond me as he is just as likely to say the complete opposite next week. He definitely comes across as not the brightest lad around, even when talking about golf tbh and is liable to come out with any oul guff ewhrn asked a question during his media duties.

No doubt he has a brilliant talent but when things go slightly awry with that talent he hasn't the foggiest clue what he might be doing wrong unlike other less talented people who have had to put more thought and work into developing their skills.

Having said all that it is extremely difficult to maintain the highest levels in golf and very few players have ever achieved this as evidenced by his status in Major roll of honour. If he has underachieved then so have a lot of very very talented golfers.

trailer

Quote from: Orior on July 20, 2021, 12:03:56 AM
Quote from: trailer on July 19, 2021, 03:26:34 PM
One of the things I love the most about Rory is how he pisses off those people who see themselves as the de facto decision makers of who and who isn't Irish. Those people who have this narrow vision of Irishness. They usually get worked up about Rory because he doesn't drape the tri colour over himself, or when a black person does a small bit of Irish dancing. The irony being they have more in common with the little Englander that they do with Irish people.

In other words, you like seeing people getting pissed off?  How sad.

I like Rory because he is honest, down to earth, fantastic talent, is known all over the world and hails from the city in which I live, and his Dad once served me dinner in Clandeboye Golf Club.

He exposes the sectarianism and the narrow mindedness of some people in the North, you being one of them.

AnGaelGearmanach

One of the things I love the most about Rory is how he pisses off those people who see themselves as the de facto decision makers of who and who isn't Irish. Those people who have this narrow vision of Irishness. They usually get worked up about Rory because he doesn't drape the tri colour over himself, or when a black person does a small bit of Irish dancing. The irony being they have more in common with the little Englander that they do with Irish people.

I like Rory because he is honest, down to earth, fantastic talent, is known all over the world and hails from the city in which I live, and his Dad once served me dinner in Clandeboye Golf Club.

Make sure you tell the grandchildren about that one :o

thebigfella

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 20, 2021, 09:41:49 AM
Why anyone pays their slightest bit of attention to what Rory says is beyond me as he is just as likely to say the complete opposite next week. He definitely comes across as not the brightest lad around, even when talking about golf tbh and is liable to come out with any oul guff ewhrn asked a question during his media duties.

No doubt he has a brilliant talent but when things go slightly awry with that talent he hasn't the foggiest clue what he might be doing wrong unlike other less talented people who have had to put more thought and work into developing their skills.

Having said all that it is extremely difficult to maintain the highest levels in golf and very few players have ever achieved this as evidenced by his status in Major roll of honour. If he has underachieved then so have a lot of very very talented golfers.

You believe that? Really? Golfers at his level know exactly what is going wrong. My take is that he was too loyal to Bannon, who won't relocate to the states and didn't travel during the pandemic. No one else (of the worlds elite golfers) spent last year without access to key person in their team and it showed. Bringing Cowan onboard will go a long way to rectify that but it will take time.

One of the great things about Woods was he made the consistency and ability to change his swing look effortless. It isn't, just ask Jordan Speith who from his Open win to the start of this year was no where. In fact he was looking like losing his tour card at the start of the year. Day and Kaymer are no where still, yet at one point they were no. 1 in the world and major winners. Cink (who had won since his open win) disappeared into obscurity until last year with a win to get him into the masters and has had a great season.

Kickham csc

Rory's talent is not in dispute, and his record is really good, but during the past few years his productivity has pales in significance when you comapre it to 2011-2016. The rate he set there was really improessive, but he has fallen off that lately.

Rory's problem is not with his driver or irons, its with his decision making, especially when he's in trouble so a potential bogie doesn't turn into a double, or a double into a triple, and his problems putting. The amount of putts he leaves on the green can be staggering.

In the states, there is a growing consensus that Rory struggles with pressure, he is 60-70 over in his major first rounds since he won his last major, and is something in the region of 60-80 under for the second round. That is an amazing stat, and indicates that he possibly suffers from nerves or stress or possibly over thinking a round in R1, and then plays with more freedom in R2. Not an expert, but that stat is really interesting.

To that end, i.e. nerves / stress, his openness or honesty during interviews is a bad strategy as he needs to prevent any additional stories that might add pressure or even noise that ultimately needs to be managed.

He needs to become a lot smarter in this regard, he created such a fuss about nothing during the last Olympics, and he nearly did it again, completely unnecessary.

In the states how he is increasingly being viewed as an enigma with amazing talent, "will Rory blow up in the first round, yep he's doing it again, now onto potential winners". During the past open, he is one that they cut away to if he does a great shot, not one of the main golfers that they like to follow.

Boycey

I thought he might fall away over the weekend but the Dazzler is still well in contention in the British Senior Open with the 4th round in its early stages...

gallsman

Rahm out of the Olympics with Covid. Making a habit of it.

trailer

I didn't think it was possible but Rory has actually gone up in my estimation. The effort he put in on Sunday. Shirt untucked, sweat pounding off him giving his all for his country. Legend status for me.

Orior

Quote from: trailer on July 20, 2021, 10:08:34 AM

He exposes the sectarianism and the narrow mindedness of some people in the North, you being one of them.

Shove it up your arse.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JimStynes

Quote from: trailer on August 02, 2021, 09:51:29 AM
I didn't think it was possible but Rory has actually gone up in my estimation. The effort he put in on Sunday. Shirt untucked, sweat pounding off him giving his all for his country. Legend status for me.

It reminds me of my heroics while working in school during lockdown. Fair played to him.
Vol. Rory McIlroy

quit yo jibbajabba

Listen you pair if all it takes is bein a sweaty basturt then im a hero to someone most days ffs 😎

HiMucker

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 02, 2021, 02:09:42 PM
Listen you pair if all it takes is bein a sweaty basturt then im a hero to someone most days ffs 😎
Aye but you being a culchie you'd definitely have the shirt tucked in, so would lose marks there.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: HiMucker on August 03, 2021, 10:56:58 AM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 02, 2021, 02:09:42 PM
Aye but you being a culchie you'd definitely have the shirt tucked in, so would lose marks there.

😂😂 just saw this. Thou speaketh the truth