The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

McIlroy playing his best beats all of them when they're playing their best. He just can't put the rounds together in the one tournament. I do think there is a bit of choking going on during the majors. Still Ireland's best sportsman all the same. I think he is a nice fella for being the global superstar that he is.

Angelo

Quote from: JimStynes on May 25, 2021, 01:49:22 PM
McIlroy playing his best beats all of them when they're playing their best. He just can't put the rounds together in the one tournament. I do think there is a bit of choking going on during the majors. Still Ireland's best sportsman all the same. I think he is a nice fella for being the global superstar that he is.

That's a bit like saying if Ger Cavlan played to his best he was the best footballer in Tyrone.

Consistency is part of greatness, McIlroy doesn't have the full package and is really struggling to contend with the current generation.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

yellowcard

That is opinion and will never stand up to scrutiny. McIlroy would appear to have a more natural talent than many of the other top players but golf is a sport played as much between the ears as it is with the hands. The term choker is often used as a derogatory put down and I certainly wouldn't put McIlroy in that category given the level that he has consistently played at for a decade in a global sport. You don't stay at that level of competition by being mentally weak and you can only be deemed a choker if you keep getting yourself into positions whereby you can fail. McIlroy hasn't even contended in very many of the most recent majors which is his biggest failing.
He is arguably Ireland's greatest ever sportsperson but will never get the accolades which is largely due to identity issues. I think you can distill a lot of the criticism which he receives at home down to this.     

johnnycool

Quote from: Angelo on May 25, 2021, 12:44:08 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 25, 2021, 12:34:38 PM
Great, another thread ruined by fuckface.

1. Personal abuse.
    Personal abuse is one of the most common problems on internet boards. Known sometimes as 'playing the man', whether foul language is used or not, this behaviour is
    not allowed.
    e.g. Calling someone a fat fool is the same as calling someone something more vulgar. This rule applies even in situations where another user has breached this, or
    another rule. Retaliation is still a breach of the rule.

When is the mod finally going to ban this guy?

His insults, not just to me, but other posters too are incessant. He is abusive across a whole number of threads and rarely contributes anything other than his snide, igorant and idiotic remarks.

It seems rules are only for some posters on here thouhg.

I had one poster wish death on me the other day and the moderators just deleted his post and let him continue posting on like he it never happened.

How do you know he's talking about you?  ;D

trailer

Quote from: yellowcard on May 25, 2021, 02:10:34 PM

That is opinion and will never stand up to scrutiny. McIlroy would appear to have a more natural talent than many of the other top players but golf is a sport played as much between the ears as it is with the hands. The term choker is often used as a derogatory put down and I certainly wouldn't put McIlroy in that category given the level that he has consistently played at for a decade in a global sport. You don't stay at that level of competition by being mentally weak and you can only be deemed a choker if you keep getting yourself into positions whereby you can fail. McIlroy hasn't even contended in very many of the most recent majors which is his biggest failing.
He is arguably Ireland's greatest ever sportsperson but will never get the accolades which is largely due to identity issues. I think you can distill a lot of the criticism which he receives at home down to this.   

People's understanding of what golf is is part of the problem. He's what 32? Has won 4 majors, umpteen tournaments. Many clutch moments and he's still a long way to go in his career. Who else has done this? Tiger? Phil? in Europe Faldo and Seve? Did they even have the same number of wins as McIlroy at this stage. Seve especially went through a terrible spell with his game.
What McIlroy has achieved is incredible. To burst onto the scene and keep in the top 10 or 15 golfers is unbelievable. People seem to think he should win every tournament he enters. But there are so many variables, not only has he to play well but he has to hope no one else has a career best performance. What Tiger and to a lesser extent Jack did was freakish.

Of the golfers still playing today only Phil 45 and DJ 24 have more career wins. Phil is 50. DJ is 36. Rory has 19 wins and plenty of time.

trailer

Quote from: trailer on May 25, 2021, 02:22:27 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 25, 2021, 02:10:34 PM

People's understanding of what golf is is part of the problem. He's what 32? Has won 4 majors, umpteen tournaments. Many clutch moments and he's still a long way to go in his career. Who else has done this? Tiger? Phil? in Europe Faldo and Seve? Did they even have the same number of wins as McIlroy at this stage. Seve especially went through a terrible spell with his game.
What McIlroy has achieved is incredible. To burst onto the scene and keep in the top 10 or 15 golfers is unbelievable. People seem to think he should win every tournament he enters. But there are so many variables, not only has he to play well but he has to hope no one else has a career best performance. What Tiger and to a lesser extent Jack did was freakish.

Of the golfers still playing today only Phil 45 and DJ 24 have more career wins. Phil is 50. DJ is 36. Rory has 19 wins and plenty of time.

I should say that is PGA tour wins. He has 28 pro wins in total.

Angelo

Lleyton Hewitt had 2 slams at the age of 21, never won one after that.

Look at that Clare hurling team that won the AI with a team full of u21 players.

Plenty of people come up at just the right time and fill their boots. McIlroy was one of those, he came in with golf was at a poor enough era with the decline of Woods who had dominated the sport.

Look at the guys who were winning majors around then - Schwartznel, Day, Scott, Kaymer, Clarke, Dufner, Bradley, Bubba etc.

McIlroy did well when that was the best competition but has found his current rivals just too good for him. He was touted to dominate the sport but has been left behind by the peloton since.

Boycey

What's the point lads? I've said before there is no evidence on this forum of Angelo taking anyone's else opinion onboard ever... on anything.

Just give him a wide berth.....

Angelo

Quote from: Boycey on May 25, 2021, 03:12:20 PM
What's the point lads? I've said before there is no evidence on this forum of Angelo taking anyone's else opinion onboard ever... on anything.

Just give him a wide berth.....

I take facts over opinions.

If you can construct a good response and substantiate then of course I'll consider but too many of you are far too sensitive to having your views challenged and when you can't frame a decent repsonse find it easier to play the man than play the ball.

I'm well prepared to have what I've said on McIlroy challenged but most of the responses have been attacks rather than any sort of constructive or informed posts.

quit yo jibbajabba

Yet you keep going on. Youve made your point about Rory/Hewitt several times, how bout you now leave it so that when we tip in here we get golf updates rather than you rambling and pissing everyone off?

Milltown Row2

CHRIST THE NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 25, 2021, 03:54:31 PM
Yet you keep going on. Youve made your point about Rory/Hewitt several times, how bout you now leave it so that when we tip in here we get golf updates rather than you rambling and pissing everyone off?

Oh right.

I should leave that because a few posters act like 8 year olds when you criticise Rory McIlroy.

I'm entitled to make my points here, maybe you and other posters need to stop being so emotional when McIlroy is justly criticised.

Maybe rename the thread "The Rory McIlroy Superfan Thread - CRITICISM NOT WELCOME".

thebigfella

Quote from: Angelo on May 25, 2021, 04:20:04 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 25, 2021, 03:54:31 PM

Oh right.

I should leave that because a few posters act like 8 year olds when you criticise Rory McIlroy.

I'm entitled to make my points here, maybe you and other posters need to stop being so emotional when McIlroy is justly criticised.

Maybe rename the thread "The Rory McIlroy Superfan Thread - CRITICISM NOT WELCOME".

You have zero knowledge on golf and how difficult it is to win a normal tour event let alone a Major - THESE ARE THE FACTS.

You criticism is based on false equivalences and manifestation of your personal bias's towards him. 

Angelo

Quote from: thebigfella on May 25, 2021, 04:28:20 PM

You have zero knowledge on golf and how difficult it is to win a normal tour event let alone a Major - THESE ARE THE FACTS.

You criticism is based on false equivalences and manifestation of your personal bias's towards him.

That's not a fact Big Man. That's your opinion.

It's a fact McIlroy is 7 years without a major.
It's a fact that he won his majors in the post Tiger era dominance
It's a fact he has been left behind by the emerging generation (there's been at least 3 multiple major winners since McIlroy won his last and that will likely increase)

My criticisms are based on fact and factual parallels.

Funnily enough you have done exactly what I called out. You've attacked me and my points and criticism (which have been substantiated) with opinions and have offered nothing that actually backs up your argument whatsoever.

And you have the temerity to accuse me of manifestation and person bias? Please tell me you can see the irony of you throwing such an accusation about when my posts are backed up by very logical and factual incidents whereas you are trying to put your opinion and fanboy tendencies as points of order.

trueblue1234

It's a fact that Rory has been in the top 10 golfers in the world for the last 10 years.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit