The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

statto

Quote from: NAG1 on April 24, 2024, 02:28:45 PMIs this the guy that Spurs were in for prior to Big Ange, if memory serves, he turned them down.
That's him.  Dutch and bald doesn't give me good vibes!

johnnycool

Quote from: Look-Up! on April 25, 2024, 11:42:27 AMVVD plays in a vital position. Still has plenty to give and a natural leader. I think it would be too risky to get rid, unless his heart not in it and he wants away himself. Earns 150k less than Salah, who I think is a big problem going forward not only because of his poor form, but he's putting massive upward pressure on future wage negotiations, be that existing contract renewals or new signings. 

Bank the Saudi cash for Salah and go for Ivan Toney, seriously rate that lad, he'll get 20 plus a year on a good team.

Salah is bang out of form, there's no doubting that, but Liverpools main assists used to come from wide, TTA and Robertson, TAA injured quite a lot this year and so has Robertson, who's been below par as well.

Carragher has given up on Nunez, seems to think he'll not get any better than what he is now and although his rates of scoring from really good chances is poor, surely that's something that still can be worked on, no?

Gakpo looked a bit better the last few games, probably missed last night, but not complaining..

statto

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on April 25, 2024, 10:50:44 AMSpending big on Van Djik and Allison was neccesary and they were class acts, but the lads up top cost a fair few quid and are hit and miss.

Nunez was massive money and can't be trusted. Gakpo, Diaz and Jota also were not cheap. The finishing is what's killing Liverpool in recent times.

At the back Konate is just not good enough but they didn't ever look at buying decent cover when Gomez and Matip are walking sick notes. At the time there was a the big crisis the lure of Klopp could have got a solid player in on frees or short term.

I know Klopp doesn't have City's money but the spending has not been great.
Diaz and Jota have provided excellent value for money and both would be sold for substantial profit if they moved on in summer. 

Jury still out on Nunez and Gakpo(who I don't believe is good enough to be a regular starter if everyones fit).  Nunez  I thought in the earlier part of the season was coming good but much like liverpool his season seems to have petered out. 

Turf

I like Gakpo would definitely keep him.
Would also give Nunez another season but they definitely need a more natural goalscorer in the team.
Toney is a good shout actually.
Could you imagine the amount of goals a prime Owen or Fowler would have gotten playing in that Liverpool team.

J70

Next season is definitely make or break for Nunez. He has so many excellent parts to his game, but he's mid-20s now and far too often he either makes the wrong choice (pass or shoot?) or he tries to put his foot through the ball instead of slipping or poking it beyond the reach of the keeper. If you could graft Fowler's finishing onto the rest of his talents, he'd be some player!

League is gone, but I really hope that with the pressure (relatively) off, the players (and fans) quickly get over the disappointment, pull together, and make the last few games a good send-off for Klopp.

People will start to get excited (or not  :P ) about the next man, but first they need to show Klopp the love!

Milltown Row2

How many fist pumps will he finish off with at the Kop?

I hope he brings the team down and stand in a line at the Kop end to finish off, that for me was the turning point in his early career at Liverpool
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 25, 2024, 01:06:54 PMHow many fist pumps will he finish off with at the Kop?

I hope he brings the team down and stand in a line at the Kop end to finish off, that for me was the turning point in his early career at Liverpool

One for every time we finished 2nd in a League/Cup. Could be there a while.

Turf

Maybe he will stand in the centre circle and tell the fans their job now is to support the new manager aka 'the chosen one'.

Klopp is leaving Liverpool far better than he found them. If he had would nothing else apart from the Premier League he would still be considered a legend imo. The fact he won everything there was to win (apart from the Europa League obvs) means he will go down as one of the greatest managers the club has ever had.

Certainly whomever comes in has big boots to fill but they should be given time because it's probably going to take next season at the least to find his feet at such a big club. 

J70

Yeah, expectations will be tempered for next season all right. Top 4 would be an excellent achievement for Slot or whoever the new man ends up being.

And Klopp, there will be a fist-bump statue at some point!  ;D

Captain Obvious

Quote from: J70 on April 25, 2024, 01:30:39 PMYeah, expectations will be tempered for next season all right. Top 4 would be an excellent achievement for Slot or whoever the new man ends up being.

And Klopp, there will be a fist-bump statue at some point!  ;D

And a statue that is sure to have a trademark Klopp smile/smirk

https://twitter.com/StokeyyG2/status/1783233877856706659?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1783233877856706659%7Ctwgr%5E504c72a03371367d3b0fbfcd22ea1cd5151fd03b%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F

NAG1

Quote from: Turf on April 25, 2024, 01:17:41 PMMaybe he will stand in the centre circle and tell the fans their job now is to support the new manager aka 'the chosen one'.

Klopp is leaving Liverpool far better than he found them. If he had would nothing else apart from the Premier League he would still be considered a legend imo. The fact he won everything there was to win (apart from the Europa League obvs) means he will go down as one of the greatest managers the club has ever had.

Certainly whomever comes in has big boots to fill but they should be given time because it's probably going to take next season at the least to find his feet at such a big club. 

Genuinely intrigued that Liverpool fans will hold him in such high esteem, or maybe is it recency bias? He delivered one league title in 9 years?

I get that he is an iconic figure and was box office and even fans of other teams will miss him from the EPL.

tiempo

Inherited a mess, won the big titles and competed against a nation state. No mean feat.

Turf

Quote from: NAG1 on April 25, 2024, 02:45:48 PM
Quote from: Turf on April 25, 2024, 01:17:41 PMMaybe he will stand in the centre circle and tell the fans their job now is to support the new manager aka 'the chosen one'.

Genuinely intrigued that Liverpool fans will hold him in such high esteem, or maybe is it recency bias? He delivered one league title in 9 years?

I get that he is an iconic figure and was box office and even fans of other teams will miss him from the EPL.

They hadn't won any league titles in the 30 years previous, 1 in 9 isn't bad considering!
I'm actually genuinely intrigued about how someone couldn't see him as anything other than a success at the club but sure each to their own I'm not here to change anyone's opinion on him.
Liverpool fans will hold him in the highest of esteems and probably won't care what any other fans think.

NAG1

Quote from: Turf on April 25, 2024, 02:58:21 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 25, 2024, 02:45:48 PM

They hadn't won any league titles in the 30 years previous, 1 in 9 isn't bad considering!
I'm actually genuinely intrigued about how someone couldn't see him as anything other than a success at the club but sure each to their own I'm not here to change anyone's opinion on him.
Liverpool fans will hold him in the highest of esteems and probably won't care what any other fans think.

I was just curious, I know he is a bit of a cult figure. Just wondered if looking back it will be with a bit of regret that it was only one title.

That being said United would take a single title at the moment any season.

Look-Up!

Quote from: johnnycool on April 25, 2024, 12:04:41 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on April 25, 2024, 11:42:27 AMVVD plays in a vital position. Still has plenty to give and a natural leader. I think it would be too risky to get rid, unless his heart not in it and he wants away himself. Earns 150k less than Salah, who I think is a big problem going forward not only because of his poor form, but he's putting massive upward pressure on future wage negotiations, be that existing contract renewals or new signings. 

Bank the Saudi cash for Salah and go for Ivan Toney, seriously rate that lad, he'll get 20 plus a year on a good team.

Salah is bang out of form, there's no doubting that, but Liverpools main assists used to come from wide, TTA and Robertson, TAA injured quite a lot this year and so has Robertson, who's been below par as well.

Carragher has given up on Nunez, seems to think he'll not get any better than what he is now and although his rates of scoring from really good chances is poor, surely that's something that still can be worked on, no?

Gakpo looked a bit better the last few games, probably missed last night, but not complaining..

Great shout on Toney. I don't think you can blame assists because an assist is only an assist if the chance is converted. Creating chances is not a problem for Liverpool.

I'd agree with Carragher. He's had 2 years, he's a 7-10 goals a season striker at best. He's even doing well to maintain that rate in a team where he's getting an embarrassment of chances. People saying he'll come good, or if he could just develop the finishing of Fowler he'd be class etc. You could equally say if Jozy Altidore was hypnotized to believe he was Lionel Messi, the result would be Darwin Nunez.