Sam Maguire permutations

Started by seafoid, April 11, 2023, 09:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

It's really just a run up to get teams geared for the quarters with the 1st seed a good advantage of a home game. Probably not envisioned the 3rd seeds been way stronger than the 2nd seeds.

Rossfan

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 08, 2023, 10:06:29 AM
Having 3 qualify from a group of 4 makes it a bit pointless.
If you're pointless you won't be getting into the knock out stages.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 08, 2023, 10:06:29 AM
Having 3 qualify from a group of 4 makes it a bit pointless.
Not really. Another 4 drop out in the next round. That  is when jeopardy kicks in. FIFA would be proud of it.

seafoid

Dublin are a real mystery. They didn't replace the Harlem Globetrotters
. Neither did Barcelona.  Neither did Man U.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on May 08, 2023, 10:28:52 AM

Not any mystery. U21 grade was good to Dublin with All Ireland titles won in 2010,2012,2014 and 2017 players that came out of those teams was R O'Carroll, J Cooper, J McCarthy, D Rock.J McCaffrey, D Byrne, C Kilkenny, P Mannion,J Small, B Fenton, E Lowndes; P Mannion, C Costello, N Scully,E Murchan,B Howard,C O'Callaghan,P Small.

Their last three U20 teams lost Leinster finals they'll do well to get a handful of established seniors out of those teams and keep them in place as a strong contender for Sam in the years ahead
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 08, 2023, 02:44:22 PM

Not any mystery. U21 grade was good to Dublin with All Ireland titles won in 2010,2012,2014 and 2017 players that came out of those teams was R O'Carroll, J Cooper, J McCarthy, D Rock.J McCaffrey, D Byrne, C Kilkenny, P Mannion,J Small, B Fenton, E Lowndes; P Mannion, C Costello, N Scully,E Murchan,B Howard,C O'Callaghan,P Small.

Their last three U20 teams lost Leinster finals they'll do well to get a handful of established seniors out of those teams and keep them in place as a strong contender for Sam in the years ahead
Is Ciaran Archer still around the Dublin panel? 

Hound

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on May 08, 2023, 02:59:45 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on May 08, 2023, 02:44:22 PM

Is Ciaran Archer still around the Dublin panel?
Nope. Jsst got the one league appearance I think (v Kerry in 2022). Not on the panel now.

Hound

Fixtures confirmed for the first week of the group stages (other matches on the following week)

Saturday May 20
Group 1
Kerry v Mayo, Fitzgerald Stadium, 3pm, GAAGO

Group 2
Galway v Tyrone, Pearse Stadium, 5.15pm, GAAGO

Group 4
Clare v Donegal, Cusack Park, 2pm

Sunday May 21
Group 3
Sligo v Kildare, Markievicz Park, 2.30pm

So the Kerry v Mayo and Galway v Tyrone games only available on pay-per-view

imtommygunn

Some interesting games there.  I would predict Clare to beat Donegal and I wouldn't be shocked if Sligo beat Kildare.

The other two are interesting but I would expect Kerry and Galway to prevail.

Derryman forever

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 08, 2023, 03:35:32 PM
Some interesting games there.  I would predict Clare to beat Donegal and I wouldn't be shocked if Sligo beat Kildare.

The other two are interesting but I would expect Kerry and Galway to prevail.

I think there is a big game or 3 in Tyrone.

imtommygunn

You just never know with them. It could go like last year or it could go like two years ago. Very hard to tell.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Hound on May 08, 2023, 03:03:10 PM
Fixtures confirmed for the first week of the group stages (other matches on the following week)

Saturday May 20
Group 1
Kerry v Mayo, Fitzgerald Stadium, 3pm, GAAGO

Group 2
Galway v Tyrone, Pearse Stadium, 5.15pm, GAAGO

Group 4
Clare v Donegal, Cusack Park, 2pm

Sunday May 21
Group 3
Sligo v Kildare, Markievicz Park, 2.30pm

So the Kerry v Mayo and Galway v Tyrone games only available on pay-per-view

HQ money racket exercise.

thewobbler

The sense of entitlement from GAA people that all their county's matches should always be available live on free-to-air TV, continues to bewilder me.

Blowitupref

Quote from: thewobbler on May 08, 2023, 03:56:56 PM
The sense of entitlement from GAA people that all their county's matches should always be available live on free-to-air TV, continues to bewilder me.

On the topic

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/0508/1382379-martin-on-gaago-all-matches-should-be-free-to-air/
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

thewobbler

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 08, 2023, 04:10:12 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 08, 2023, 03:56:56 PM

On the topic

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/0508/1382379-martin-on-gaago-all-matches-should-be-free-to-air/

Absolutely idiotic statements.

Either the GAA more than halves the number of championship games, or RTE opens a deviated sports channel, or his wishes are basically impossible.