NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Thought that too. Last five to ten minutes they never looked like losing.

Blowitupref

Quote from: thewobbler on April 02, 2023, 10:08:48 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on April 02, 2023, 09:05:27 PM
Mayo do not miss Cillian O'Connor at all.

Just the 7 points a game he’s averaged for Mayo across his career.

Why would anyone miss that?

I’d guess you don’t rate Harry Kane either?

Depends on who comes out of the Mayo team if Cillian O'Connor starts.  At the moment O'Donoghue has filled in well 2-34 (0-25fs 0-04 marks) this year.  Will McStay have a starting team with both in the forward line?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

highorlow

Re: NFL Division 1 2023
« Reply #1985 on: Today at 08:22:47 PM »
Poor opening 20 minutes cost Galway, far too passive and let Mayo waltz into Galway's 45 time and time again. Galway then 5 points down defended on the 45 and then Mayo really struggled breaking Galway down from then in, reckon they went over 55 minutes without kicking a score from play.

Shane Walsh kicked 2 brilliant points from play, he's not the reason Galway got beat but has been fashionable for a good few years to blame Walsh everytime Galway get beat. Galway needed that goal and created more then enough good chances but the finishing was poor but credit to Reape who was outstanding and easily the man of the match for those saves and his free taking.

AOS won 2 frees which were scored from, both exceptionally soft with O'Shea going nowhere as was the one Tommy Conroy got when he stuck his head down trying to run through Fitzgerald at 11-10. To get all 3 of those decisions is very unusual. Take a look at where O'Donoghue took his mark from, made a difficult free a gimme. Just seen the amount of steps Conroy took to get past Glynn, one bounce of the ball between 20 steps, Cawley was a joke.

Galway can't have as bad as opening 20 minutes come the championship if they've aspirations of winning it. Joyce will be relatively happy enough with the final 50 kicked some great scores, created enough goal chances albeit not taken and Mayo really struggled to break Galway down.

Didn't realise you were a poster here PJ
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

An Fhairche Abu

Galway got what they deserved out of that game, nothing.
Really hard to believe that overall performance, such a terrible start, so many unforced errors, so many missed chances, simply not good enough to win any title. Mayo worthy winners but realistically they didn't have to beat much.
It's hard to sound anything but churlish so apologies in advance but Galway really just let Mayo take that title today, loads of errors, so many Mayo scores were off the back of Galway turnovers and fouls. Some of those were 100% fouls, others so soft that it was hard to believe they were called. Felt Mayo got them easier but it's hard to sound anything but a sore loser going down that route, if Galway had kicked the missed marks, frees and 45s alone the cup would be Corribside, just not up to it today. The two Mayo scores before HT were crazy to give away, I thought that Galway had taken that silly stuff out of their game in terms of giveaway scores but today was a poor, poor look.

Congrats to the Mayo posters here, well deserved victory, great to win when not even performing at full tilt, in a wide open championship it would not surprise me at all to see Mayo come out on top, they have oceans to improve on from today. McStay might be the lucky general to bring it home.
For Galway it's a bad performance and a shit way to end up the league, if they had performed today and lost I'd say something but to come out and show that stuff with a national title available, I dunno, it's poor.

From the Bunker

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 02, 2023, 11:43:29 PM
Galway got what they deserved out of that game, nothing.
Really hard to believe that overall performance, such a terrible start, so many unforced errors, so many missed chances, simply not good enough to win any title. Mayo worthy winners but realistically they didn't have to beat much.
It's hard to sound anything but churlish so apologies in advance but Galway really just let Mayo take that title today, loads of errors, so many Mayo scores were off the back of Galway turnovers and fouls. Some of those were 100% fouls, others so soft that it was hard to believe they were called. Felt Mayo got them easier but it's hard to sound anything but a sore loser going down that route, if Galway had kicked the missed marks, frees and 45s alone the cup would be Corribside, just not up to it today. The two Mayo scores before HT were crazy to give away, I thought that Galway had taken that silly stuff out of their game in terms of giveaway scores but today was a poor, poor look.

Congrats to the Mayo posters here, well deserved victory, great to win when not even performing at full tilt, in a wide open championship it would not surprise me at all to see Mayo come out on top, they have oceans to improve on from today. McStay might be the lucky general to bring it home.
For Galway it's a bad performance and a shit way to end up the league, if they had performed today and lost I'd say something but to come out and show that stuff with a national title available, I dunno, it's poor.

You are being hard on Galway. I thought both teams were poor. A lot had probably to do with familiarity, both these teams could yet end up playing each other 4 times between League and Championship. Mayo got the rub of the green today, decisions and lucky breaks went their way. Galway have been coasting along in the League. Mayo on the other hand have been motoring at a different level. This has a lot to do with championship. I see your disappointment, but this will be well forgotten if Galway beat Mayo or the Rossies in a few weeks time.

Blowitupref

Nice to win but when the dust settles I doubt Galway will be overly worried or disappointed to have lost that final today. Sure last year they lost the Division two final to Roscommon and went on to win Connacht and be competitive against Kerry in the All Ireland final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GaillimhIarthair

Congrats to Mayo, well deserved win on the day.

Very frustrating Galway performance, especially the first quarter.  Regardless of any refereeing decisions, we didn't manage our own performance well enough to put ourselves in a position to win the game.  Aside from the goal chances, there were ample opportunities from 45s, marks and play that we didn't execute, so we can have zero complaints.

In general, the league has served us well and we definitely have a stronger panel going into this years championship than we did 12 months ago.  Pity about the performance yesterday but that competition is now over.  We start again in 3 weeks time where I expect that we will be playing yesterdays opposition again in Pearse Stadium.  The traffic will be shocking!!  ;)

seafoid

Galway's execution let them down but shur it's only the League and the championship is a long time away.

An Fhairche Abu

I knew it was bad at the game but saw this morning that Galway scoring percentage from shots was down at 48%, look no further as to why we lost than this single stat.
One of the reasons Galway managed to improve and win games last year - and it was the one huge plus from the Division Two campaign last year in terms of a leap forward - was that the scoring conversion rate was really good in most games, around the 70ish% mark on the better days. Any backslide on this to low conversion rates again and games will be lost just like yesterday.

Conroy has been excellent the last few years and still has a role to play for Galway but at this stage it's clear he will be ate alive for pace come summertime on that CP surface, don't know what the best course of action is to manage that, don't really have anyone else bar Daly with his kick passing ability into the forwards out the pitch.
McDaid is a colossal miss when absent, hopefully he is being managed to be right for championship, Galway can't do without him particularly in Croke Park.
Cooke's role isn't clear, not sure yet how he is supposed to fit in to what Galway are trying to achieve. When he started to move forward with a bit more purpose towards the end of the match we saw what he should be in this team but to date it's been very lateral stuff and his tackling technique is appalling, just giving away frees where there is no need at all. Galway had won games this league on not giving away frees in the scoring zone, that fell to pieces yesterday and whatever about a few calls, there were jersey pulls at times that were punished, with some real lazy efforts from Cooke in that regard.
Maher has surprised, didn't look out of place yesterday and has certainly put the hand up. Ciarán Duggan was a late league bolter in 2018 who played really well in that Championship and in 2019 league until he got the injury which finished his IC career. Will hopefully see similar performances like the past two Sundays from Maher in Connacht and the All Ireland Series.
The management should give Matthew Tierney the frees and 45s that are suitable for a left footer and stick with him on them. He was out of that match yesterday and has seemed to be at his best for Galway when he has been on frees to at least keep him involved and tipping along. He might miss a few initially but he has the range and the ability in general, Walsh is about as two footed as you can get but is better on right foot frees at the end of the day. If we don't get Tierney playing well in the big games, Galway are going to continue to come up short just like yesterday.

Wildweasel74

Wouldn't be that hard of your self, Harold Schumacher, sorry the Mayo keeper should seen the line, that was a horrid tackle with his knee basically into the lads stomach. Galway probably would won from there.

An Watcher

Hahaha, only people of a certain vintage will get that one.  Workd Cup 82 I believe

Tubberman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 03, 2023, 01:21:08 PM
Wouldn't be that hard of your self, Harold Schumacher, sorry the Mayo keeper should seen the line, that was a horrid tackle with his knee basically into the lads stomach. Galway probably would won from there.

Take a look and see if you want to change your mind:

https://twitter.com/cormacpro/status/1642669597869350913?t=K7qH1iREi98bUOKdOMtP9A&s=19
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Maroon Manc

Surely the natural reaction from a keeper is to follow the line of the ball? He clearly hasn't and was more concerned with protecting himself.

seafoid

Peter Cavanagh said the goalie took him out. It's a pity Sean Cavanagh wasn't the analyst