Official Monaghan GAA Thread

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2007, 08:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie linkbox

Quote from: thebandit on December 14, 2007, 10:44:35 AM
Is there word that the Freeman's have presented a letter to the County board stating that they will withdraw their services from the county team?

If that's true (and I sincerely hope it's not) then the two of them can f**k off. Monaghan has fielded teams long before they existed and we'll field teams long after.

john mcgill

Met Tommy on Thursday night.  And the fool I am said "so your not suspended yet" and he said "not yet". 

Maguire01

I doubt it's helpful starting/passing on rumours in relation to this.

"From what i've heard....."  and "not sure if it's true...." etc - unless you know it's true, why try making a story over it?

thebandit

What is definately true is that what happened was unacceptable, and it is not an isolated incident.

Maguire01

Quote from: thebandit on December 18, 2007, 03:36:01 PM
What is definately true is that what happened was unacceptable, and it is not an isolated incident.
Yes, you're probably right. I'm just referring to the speculation and embellishment of the story.

Latest news, from yeaterday's Irish News - Banty reckons any suspensions won't effect county games, only club duties.

thebandit

The league is starting back soon, isn't it? Any word of Fixtures?

ExiledGael

Quote from: bingobus on December 14, 2007, 10:55:27 AM
Following from that I've heard the Latton players won't be playing if Damien Freeman is Captain of the team. Also heard that the Latton/Maghercloone players are togging out in separate rooms at Cloghan. Should be an interesting weekend in Sunderland  ;D

Freeman has got away with loads over the last couple of years including one very seriuos incident that was brushed under the carpet. Was surprised at the County Boards quick response to the media stories and was wondering who released the suspensions. It had to be someone on the County Board or sub-committee. Was pressure then put on them to lessen the blow?

If this is the case then its a absolute disgrace and belittles the whole disciplinary process.

Today's Irish News says Damien Freeman was named as captain for the fourth year in a row yesterday, the same day as his wedding. Has this all blown over?

bingobus

Senior Champ Draw:

Carrick V Monaghan, Latton  v Inniskeen, Clontibret v Doohmalet, Maghercloone V Scotstown Castleblayney V Tyholland.

Fairly low key draw. Not sure but first two ties could be Preliminary ties. Pick of draw prob local derby for Clontibret/Doohamlet and Loughie back at Blayney taking on Tyholland who he managed last year.

Don't have the details of any other draws.

donelli

Corduff are to play Truagh in the Intermediate, thats all i heard.

The championship isnt the same these days what with the back door system.
i reckon a revamp of all should be carried out.

On another note, is many here considering going to the Cork national league game in April (assuming Cork play in the league).
was considering the options...ryanair from the airport/bus to dublin and then train/or a hard slog drive with no pints!!!

thebandit

Quote from: donelli on January 22, 2008, 11:04:50 AM

On another note, is many here considering going to the Cork national league game in April (assuming Cork play in the league).
was considering the options...ryanair from the airport/bus to dublin and then train/or a hard slog drive with no pints!!!

I'm flying down for it on the Friday, got the flights cheap as well ;D

Senior

Carrick v harps
latton v inniskeen

clontibret v doohamlet
mcloone v scotstown
blayney v tyholland

Inter

amullen v cremartin
truagh v corduff

dmoyne v eire og
emyvale v rock
seans v ballybay

junior

oram v bhill
killanny v clones

toome v killevan
o hanlons v aghabog
drumhowan v currin

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on January 22, 2008, 02:54:49 PM
Quote from: donelli on January 22, 2008, 11:04:50 AM

I'm flying down for it on the Friday, got the flights cheap as well ;D

I hope Cork will have a team available to play by then. Cheap Flights and all.

thebandit

Mid Mon

you'll be almost as quick driving down to cork. its only a 4 hour drive from blayney i'm doing it every week. by the time you get to dub airport checked in and down to cork it could take you 3 hours.

bingobus

Monaghan Panel Named

McEnaney names Monaghan panel

Monaghan manager Seamus McEnaney
23 January 2008

Six players from last year's panel failed to make the cut when Seamus McEnaney announced his Monaghan panel for the forthcoming National Football League.

The players to lose out are James Coyle, Mark Daly, Mark Duffy, Ciaran Hughes and Paul Meegan while Hugh McElroy had opted out earlier. Those coming in are Raymond Ronaghan, Paul McGuigan, Daniel McNally, Owen Duffy, Neil McAdam and Seamus Markey.

"We looked at a lot of players during the McKenna Cup and we did have players on college duty so naming the panel was a chance for us to freshen things up a bit and give things a bit of a shakeup so that there would be no thought of complacency even in the deepest recesses of anyone's mind", McEnaney was quoted as saying when he released the panel on Tuesday night. "We are in a very difficult section in the league but the addition of the new players we are bringing in I think will give us strength in depth and will also give us options as we plan for each game individually. Its great to see Paul McGuigan back after a lengthy layoff through injury and the return of Raymond Ronaghan is a big boost and with the inclusion of players of that calibre along with some of the new young faces that we have brought in I think we have the strongest panel now since I became involved over three years ago". Damien Freeman will again captain Monaghan this year.

The panel is: Shane Duffy, Padraig McBennett, Dessie Mone, John Paul Mone, Conor McManus, Paul McGuigan, Vincent Corey, Dermot McArdle, Ciaran Hanratty, Donal Morgan, Darren Hughes, Daniel McNally, Gary McQuaid, Raymond Ronaghan, Damien Freeman (capt.), Tomas Freeman, Eoin Lennon, Stephen Fitzpatrick, Owen Duffy, Colm Flanagan, Dick Clerkin, Shane Smith, Neil McAdam, Stephen Gollogly, Gary McEnaney, Rory Woods, Seamus Markey, Brendan McKenna, Shane Mulligan, Paul Finlay.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=88187

One name sticks out for me in that panel and that is Daniel McNally, just out of Minors and rarely starts for Scotstown senior team. I would be in favour of taking young players into the panel but only players who we can call on and I don;t think Daniel McNally is ready for that yet. He has the Under 21's and college freshers before he makes the step up. Same could apply to young McAdam who will prob miss out on senior league games with his club that would benfit him more than sitting on bench. Again the U21's would be his goal this year.

Don't get me wrong, both have potential but they have yet to make their mark on club football yet. I'm sure that there are other forwards in the county who could have stepped into panel before McNally.

thebandit

Wee Paul Meegan is shocking unlucky imo....

Ciaran Hughes has to be a better option than Stephen Fitz or Shane Mulligan