Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: general_lee on August 03, 2023, 09:56:17 AM
Championship draw last night; after straight knockout for a few years we are back to the group stages.
Hard to get excited about with three teams from each group progressing. Main talking point is Group A aka the group of death, 2020 winners Maghery as the bottom seeded team. Groups B & C should be fairly easy to call. Group D there could be a few upsets.

Group A
Killeavy
Ballymacnab
Dromintee
Maghery

Group B
Clann Éireann
Granemore
St Peter's
Grange

Group C
Madden
Armagh Harps
Silverbridge
Shane O'Neill's

Group D
Crossmaglen
Mullaghbawn
Clan na Gael
Sarsfield's

Is Armagh a 16 team Division 1 league?

statto

Quote from: marty34 on August 03, 2023, 10:59:20 AM
Championship draw last night; after straight knockout for a few years we are back to the group stages.
Hard to get excited about with three teams from each group progressing. Main talking point is Group A aka the group of death, 2020 winners Maghery as the bottom seeded team. Groups B & C should be fairly easy to call. Group D there could be a few upsets.

Group A
Killeavy
Ballymacnab
Dromintee
Maghery

Group B
Clann Éireann
Granemore
St Peter's
Grange

Group C
Madden
Armagh Harps
Silverbridge
Shane O'Neill's

Group D
Crossmaglen
Mullaghbawn
Clan na Gael
Sarsfield's

1A & 1B 8 teams in each two up 2 down. 

marty34

Quote from: statto on August 03, 2023, 11:49:07 AM
Quote from: marty34 on August 03, 2023, 10:59:20 AM

Group A
Killeavy
Ballymacnab
Dromintee
Maghery

Group B
Clann Éireann
Granemore
St Peter's
Grange

Group C
Madden
Armagh Harps
Silverbridge
Shane O'Neill's

Group D
Crossmaglen
Mullaghbawn
Clan na Gael
Sarsfield's

1A & 1B 8 teams in each two up 2 down.

Ok, thanks.

statto

Some really good ties in Senior championship with the standout being St Pauls v Culloville in intermediate.  Tir Na Nog, Cullyhanna and Pearse Og will be fancied to come through their games. 

Kileavey v Clan NaGael- should be an interesting game.  I haven't saw Kileavey this year, but with Tommy Coleman in charge and their scores to date they seem to be playing a more expansive game.  Clans should have won this game last year, but they will need Stefan Campbell to bring a big performance if they are to win. 

Madden v Ballymacnab- think the nab will shade this one, their forward line seems to be moving well its probably now or never for the nab giving age profile of some of their better players. 

Clann Eireann v Silverbridge- Silverbridge been scoring plenty of goals and after losing first day out have been very impressive.  Still think Clann Eireann are a better balanced team and will come through here. 

Cross v armagh harps - after seeing Harps yesterday can only see one winner wasn't impressed with them at all and they have had a poor championship to date.  Cross have the indian sign over them for quite some time and dont see that changing. 

general_lee

Killeavy v Clan na Gael
Fancy the Lurgan men for this one, they'll be out to exact revenge for last year. If Killeavy can keep McPartlan quiet that's half the battle, easier said than done though.

Madden v Ballymacnab
Think this one will be really close, just think Ballymacnab have a more dangerous forward unit. For a well established Div1A team, Madden haven't really made much inroads at championship level.

Clann Eireann  v Silverbridge
Don't think there'll be any bow and arrow celebrations in this one. CE will snuff out the Bridge attack and will out score them at the other end.

Cross v Harps
I don't think Harps have a mission here, any team that ships a 15pt defeat at home can't be considered contenders.

Orior

It's getting harder to call.

Clann Eireann v Clan Na Gael
CE stronger overall, and I think will give (spoiler alert) Cross a tougher game in the final.

Madden v XMG
Cross to nick it in extra time. Expect at least one red card dished out to Cross.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

5times5times

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2023/10/01/news/conleith_gilligan_joins_armagh_backroom_team-3661066/

Suprised this hasnt been mentioned yet.. What do Armagh folk think of the news?

I know he was very well thought of during his time with Kilcoo..

Orior

Quote from: 5times5times on October 02, 2023, 12:43:24 PMhttps://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2023/10/01/news/conleith_gilligan_joins_armagh_backroom_team-3661066/

Do four managers work well together?
Can these four work well together?

I think we're getting the best of both worlds. Build on the last couple of years plus an injection of fresh ideas.

Either way, good for Gilligan's CV.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Armagh18

Quote from: Orior on October 02, 2023, 01:26:17 PM
Quote from: 5times5times on October 02, 2023, 12:43:24 PMhttps://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2023/10/01/news/conleith_gilligan_joins_armagh_backroom_team-3661066/

Do four managers work well together?
Can these four work well together?

I think we're getting the best of both worlds. Build on the last couple of years plus an injection of fresh ideas.

Either way, good for Gilligan's CV.
Is McKeever staying?

shawshank

As Aaron Kernan picks up his 18th senior championship medal, it further confirms how crap the senior clubs in Armagh are that they annually role over. What is it Cross are doing the rest of you are not apart from living rent free in your heads.

statto

Quote from: shawshank on October 23, 2023, 04:24:18 PMAs Aaron Kernan picks up his 18th senior championship medal, it further confirms how crap the senior clubs in Armagh are that they annually role over. What is it Cross are doing the rest of you are not apart from living rent free in your heads.
I wouldn't say that they annually role over.  Harps could easily have beat Cross at quarter final stage.  The last two years Granemore made first ever final and with all due respect probably be a lifetime before they are back again.  Clan NaGael have done some great work at underage including 2 minors in a row, but this final was probably a couple of years too soon for them.  Cross lost their previous two finals to Maghery and Clann Eireann, so the narrative that every team roles over to them I don't think is true. 

You could argue in Tyrone/Derry/Down that teams have rolled over against Errigal, Glen and Kilcoo over the last number of years as much as they have in Armagh.   

general_lee

Quote from: shawshank on October 23, 2023, 04:24:18 PMAs Aaron Kernan picks up his 18th senior championship medal, it further confirms how crap the senior clubs in Armagh are that they annually role over. What is it Cross are doing the rest of you are not apart from living rent free in your heads.
Just to point out Crossmaglen as a club have won twice as many All Ireland club titles as your county has combined. Wtf were the Derry clubs doing for those dozen or so Ulsters & half dozen AIs?

What people outside Armagh fail to realise is that Cross are perennially strong. They're always a contender for the Armagh championship, even in their so called "leaner" years. Their underage teams are alway in the top grade and always in contention for honours. You'll never see Cross dropping to intermediate like Ballinderry have. 

general_lee

Quote from: statto on October 23, 2023, 04:44:19 PM
You could argue in Tyrone/Derry/Down that teams have rolled over against Errigal, Glen and Kilcoo over the last number of years as much as they have in Armagh.   
The last ten finals in Armagh there have been 4 different winners.

In Derry, where this poster is from, the last ten finals have had... 4 different winners.

brokencrossbar1

It's the same year on year. Armagh must be crap,  yadda yadda. Is it ever considered that we have simply a club that produces outstanding footballers year on year?  Is it recognised that before we won in 1996 we actually had 24 county titles?  Probably should have won a few Ulster's but the mindset for Ulster was not there to match the football ability. We have won county titles in every decade apart from the 1950's since the club was formed at the end of the 19th century. I would suspect no other club can match that. We can produce 2-3 year on year who join the senior team and every few years we have players like a Rian, or a Jamie or an Oisin. Next one likely to be Aaron O Neill but he is very young yet,  just turned 18 a few months ago. There's a few others coming up in younger age groups who will add as the years go on.

I remember it being said we'd never replace the Macs, francie, Oisin etc. we did. The next group the same and the same will be said of this group. The team of 1996-2000 now have groups of sons either on the current squad or working through the underage teams. This process will continue. The Kernan's all have sons at underage. Francie has sons and nephews, the McEntees, Oisin....all of them. The cycle will continue

shawshank

I main point still stands, what have the other clubs been doing that Cross have dominated, particularly from 96 onward. I fully accepted that there were a number of Cross teams in that period that will stand the test of time. However the there has been a period now where Cross have won and aren't close to being a threat in Ulster.
Someone reference my own county without realising they were making my point. Dungiven, Bellaghy, Ballinderry, Loup, Slaugtneil and now Glen all have won the Ulster club.  Our club championship is a graveyard for any club with ambitions of dominating for years such a Cross. The mentality of club football in Derry is fierce. Please don't tell me if Cross were in Derry they would be winning county titles year in and out. Definitely not.