Premier League 2023-2024

Started by Dire Ear, July 31, 2022, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Forest have spent more this summer than they have in their entire history (read on the twitter must be true lol)

Id say close to 20 players in at this stage, be great if they stayed up but is that not near too big a turnaround? Slap in the face for those who got them promoted?

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 30, 2022, 01:15:35 PM
Forest have spent more this summer than they have in their entire history (read on the twitter must be true lol)

Id say close to 20 players in at this stage, be great if they stayed up but is that not near too big a turnaround? Slap in the face for those who got them promoted?

4 of the 11 who played in the playoff final were Loanees who have returned to their club and the keeper wanted to leave "a legend" after making the Saves to get them to the final
The rest have retained their places for now so not really a slap in the face. Hope they stick with Cooper if things don't go their way
They've averaged a manager a year since clough
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

quit yo jibbajabba

Fair enough Hoof. Crazy amount of incomings but like i say hope they stay up. Good atmosphere at sundays match

shark

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 30, 2022, 01:48:07 PM
Fair enough Hoof. Crazy amount of incomings but like i say hope they stay up. Good atmosphere at sundays match

Same thing happened when Villa came up a few years ago. Had no choice but to buy a dozen or so players, as their promotion team had 5 loanees and also many of their squad players were out of contract. Didn't stop pundits saying it was crazy to try and buy so many new players of course. Was that , or play academy players.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 30, 2022, 01:48:07 PM

Aye it is a crazy amount, won't be easy to keep them all happy
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

seafoid

In reality the EPL is bigger than 20 teams. There is a cohort of an extra  say 8-10 teams orbiting the Championship with various levels of connection to the main division, either recently relegated or yo-yoing or building up the iterations for an assault. And the money justifies it.

imtommygunn

Quote from: J70 on August 30, 2022, 12:38:59 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 30, 2022, 11:33:52 AM
I feel sorry for him. They've had the hardest opening run of any club, they've already played City, Arsenal and Liverpool in the first 4 games, arguably the 3 best teams in the league. They even picked up 3 points in the other game against Villa.

I'd say they were expecting 3 points from those first 4 games. But it's the manner of the defeats which have cost Parker his job.

Think from the statement its probably more his public complaining about the quality of the squad and, presumably, a philosophical difference with the owners in how to run the club.

From their talk about sustainability, it looks like they might be going the Norwich approach, i.e. trying to keep spending in check and build gradually by being a yo-yo club for a while.

Fulham spend like crazy and they're still a yo-yo club!

I think it was more they weren't "aligned". Anything I read was essentially they weren't willing to spend a lot and that rant by Parker was essentially highlighting that.

Armamike

Parker essentially fell on his sword with the remarks.  Can't expect to publicly slate the owners in that way and not expect repercussions.  He looked shellshocked in the post match interviews.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Milltown Row2

I wonder will the next managers that lose to Liverpool and City within a few games also lose their jobs for saying they can't compete nor not equipped enough at this level..

Not too many teams are equipped enough at Liverpool or City's level.

It seems a handy enough way of getting rid of someone in fairness
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Parker wanted more money. Owners said no. He went public. Probably got what he deserved.

screenexile

Quote from: trailer on August 30, 2022, 05:05:38 PM
Parker wanted more money. Owners said no. He went public. Probably got what he deserved.

Thought his post match comments had an edge to them "we're under equipped for this level" didn't really sound like something a happy manager would say!

seafoid

Parker doesn't care. He could get a better job before Christmas. It's not like he is struggling on universal credit .

quit yo jibbajabba

Managers know if they dont speak now thats them snookered till the Jan window and possibly too late. He maybe spoke out of turn but is a sacking not a bit harsh? Maybe same boy happy enough to go....

Walter Cronc

Am I the only one who thinks Tuchel is hugely overrated and gets it handy from the media! He's had some real bad defeats in his time.

Eire90

Quote from: seafoid on August 30, 2022, 06:03:24 PM
Parker doesn't care. He could get a better job before Christmas. It's not like he is struggling on universal credit .

exactly none of these managers will starve or freeze death this winter.