FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by laoislad, April 01, 2022, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on November 25, 2022, 12:37:25 AM
Yeah, it was great fun, cos we were involved.  And then Cameroon nearly beat England.   And England lost on pennos. And Maradonna  and Germany did a rematch.  But the games themselves were pretty turgid.  They even changed the rules after to make the game more watchable.
That's a pretty accurate synopsis I have to say. After the disappointment of losing to Italy and then England beating Cameroon the manner of Englands subsequent defeat to Germany was akin to getting stung by a nettle and finding a dock leaf
Careful now

seafoid

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 24, 2022, 10:05:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2022, 08:37:15 PM
Some amount of PL players on that Brazil team
That's the problem. I think the Brazil 1982 team, the greatest team I've ever watched, had just one player playing in Europe - Falcao. Argentina 78 had only Kempes playing in Europe. All the South American flair had been taken away by the fact that their players are now playing in the Premier League. As World Cups go, and I've been watching since 1970, this is the worst so far. I hope it improves but there's nothing to suggest that might be the case
The main differences between 82 are  the number of Brazilians playing in Europe, the style of play and how much the players get paid.

Between 1930 and 1970 South American teams won 5/9 tournaments.  Post 1970 they won 4/12. The confirmation ofvthe power shift was in 2014 when Germany beat Brazil 7-1:in Brazil.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Estimator

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 24, 2022, 11:56:17 PM
In fairness we were all caught up in the whole Ireland adventure and turned a blind eye to how bad it was. But you're right  it was pretty poor.

Copy and Paste from Wiki, doesn't make for good reading on Italia 90:

Negative tactics
The tournament generated a record low goals-per-game average and a then-record of 16 red cards were handed out. In the knockout stage, many teams played defensively for 120 minutes, with the intention of trying their luck in the penalty shoot-out, rather than risk going forward. Two exceptions were the eventual champions West Germany and hosts Italy, the only teams to win three of their four knockout matches in normal time. There were four penalty shoot-outs, a record subsequently equalled in the 2006, 2014 and 2018 tournaments. Eight matches went to extra time, a record equalled in the 2014 tournament.

Losing finalists Argentina were prime examples of this trend of cautious defensive play, choosing to do so because 3 of their best players were left off the squad due to injury. They scored only five goals in the entire tournament (a record low for a finalist). Argentina also became the first team to advance twice on penalty shoot-outs and the first team to fail to score and have a player sent off in a World Cup final.

Largely as a result of this trend FIFA introduced the back-pass rule in time for the 1994 tournament to make it harder for teams to time-waste by repeatedly passing the ball back for their goalkeepers to pick up. Three, rather than two points would be awarded for victories at future tournaments to help further encourage attacking play.
Ulster League Champions 2009

smort

Iran singing their anthem today, although a lot of them look reluctant doing so

Wonder have they been 'instructed' to sing

Armagh18

Quote from: smort on November 25, 2022, 09:58:18 AM
Iran singing their anthem today, although a lot of them look reluctant doing so

Wonder have they been 'instructed' to sing
God knows what theyve been threatened with if they refuse!

Ghost

Does anyone else hate the Welsh as a nation or is it just me?lol

Watched the USA game the other night and John Hartson was unbearable on commentary.

JPGJOHNNYG

Wales have been absolute garbage so far against a very poor team.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 25, 2022, 11:20:34 AM
Wales have been absolute garbage so far against a very poor team.

Iran have been brilliant would be my take
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Pub Bore

Iran should be out of sight.  Wales are a very average side.  When the WC goes to 48 teams you're going to see a lot more of these sort of teams in it.

Pub Bore

Welsh keeper a bit lucky there...

clarshack

He's off now and as the commentators said it was shades of Schumacher in 82.

Pub Bore

Quote from: clarshack on November 25, 2022, 11:49:11 AM
He's off now and as the commentators said it was shades of Schumacher in 82.

VAR does its job...for once.  A clear error by the ref corrected.

AustinPowers

Ireland  or Norn Iron would. Have put up a better show  than this dire welsh outfit

And that's saying something because both are brutal

clarshack

Wales have been rubbish and have got what they deserved here.

weareros