The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof86

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on October 09, 2021, 10:13:04 AM
It seems the Skies o'er Ballyroan are falling down after this news  :-\

I think that's pretty clear 😂😁

The Boy Wonder

Hopefully Proposal B will be passed at congress - would give the new manager plenty of games next year to blood new players.
Survival in Division 3 would be our modest ambition for 2022 and hopefully a good run in the Tailteann Cup.
Target for year 2 would then be promotion to Division 2.

BallyroanAbu

I make no apologies for caring, maybe too much.  I don't particularly like any other sports bar GAA,  I come from Laois, I support Laois and I don't get the option of chopping from county to county.  The problem for me is watching the slow decline,  Billy is not the cause but it's just another step along the way.  In my opinion Laois have a fair way to fall yet but more and more it seems likely we are destined to stand along side Carlow & Wicklow.  If this pisses me off, I apologise but I have been saying it for years.  I could even take a bad Senior appointment, if the Underage was being supported but it's not.  Our County is being ran like a bad club, but we will have another review to highlight this in a couple of years. 

High Fielder

It looks that way to me too. No need for the apologies. You're spot on imo

Robbo

No need for an apology. I know i admire your passion but you'd swear from some of the comments here and in Social Media that Billy Sheehan never kicked a football in his life.

He was a divisive character on the pitch but nobody ever failted his effort. As someone said earlier in this thread, if his players give his heart and energy; he'll do OK. Players seem warm to the appointment too from what I've heard.

It's an opportunity for Sheehan. Would he have been my first choice? No. But there wasn't a queue of lads knocking down the door for the job.

I think we should park the negativity around this particular appointment and focus on the bigger concerns. Because we have bigger issues than Sheehan.....because  even a management team of Jim Gavin, Martin McGuinness and Alex Ferguson wouldn't solve them.

Spiritof86

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on October 09, 2021, 11:10:47 AM
I make no apologies for caring, maybe too much.  I don't particularly like any other sports bar GAA,  I come from Laois, I support Laois and I don't get the option of chopping from county to county.  The problem for me is watching the slow decline,  Billy is not the cause but it's just another step along the way.  In my opinion Laois have a fair way to fall yet but more and more it seems likely we are destined to stand along side Carlow & Wicklow.  If this pisses me off, I apologise but I have been saying it for years.  I could even take a bad Senior appointment, if the Underage was being supported but it's not.  Our County is being ran like a bad club, but we will have another review to highlight this in a couple of years.

Totally understand where your coming from and agree with a lot of your points . As I stated earlier the problem is not the appointment Sheehan and at the very least lad should be given a chance.
The problem in Laois is a lot deeper and it made no matter who we appointed the main issues still remain.
Very surprised if Proposal B doesn't pass at congress and would definitely be advantageous for counties like Laois .

High Fielder

I'm not sure why Sheehan deserves a chance. He hasn't done enough for me, and BA was right, wanting a job is not a good qualification for getting it. That said, he's the name going forward because let's face, that's where we are.

Spiritof86

Who in your opinion that wanted the job deserved the job ?  Davy Burke would have been my first choice and he was approached but wanted nothing to do with it . Sheehan represented Laois for 10 years with pride even if he wasn't the most orthodox of players.
This is a where Laois are at the moment.. clearly the interest was not there .

High Fielder

The reason Sheehan even became a contender is because of our current plight. No offence to the lad, but he was nowhere near the top of anyone's list. He has a chance now to show he was worthy of getting the call, and good luck to him.

Many reasons why the interest isn't there. Many. But make no mistake. The CB are not well got and it's more than an industry secret now. Brennan said it openly but others lost faith after being let down. It would be foolish for anyone to think that a new Coach can turn the ship around. There is a lot wrong in Laois GAA and I blame the CB for a lot of it

Spiritof86

I'm not actually disagreeing with you High Fielder. All your points in my opinion are spot on  .
Sheehan has got the gig . I just think we need to reserve judgment on his managerial abilities and let him get on with it . Much more progressive than Pat Flanagan or John Evans etc . Let's see what he offers and I'll be the first to hold my hands up if things don't go to plan . He's not going to the turn the ship around but he might ruffle them enough to shake things up .

High Fielder

Nothing would make me happier because I always liked him. Sometimes he was more Laois than most of the lads born and bred here. We were always known as a tough nut to crack even when we were shite. Nowadays we're a soft touch and Sheehan was never that. I don't begrudge him the role and of course I hope it works out.

town1980

High fielder I agree with a lot you say but saying he was more Laois than most I totally disagree with he was born and bred in Tralee he has never ever lived in Laois he coached ballyroan I think in the middle of a campaign he has never being down here at all since he left the county set up and emo struggled to get him to play and in the end he wouldn't play even when they were going well so he is not more Laois micko took a punt on him and he made the most of it the same way Denis gastric did a trial down here but he actually had family ,,he does not know our club scene how could he .? He will be judged on how he his tactics are and most of all wins,, is there any truth in the rumour that the clubs are going to vote against this recommendation ??

Smellyball

If only the world knew that all the oracle's of football reside in the Laois GAA forum, there would never be a mistake made.
For people to post in here that Sheehans appointment is doomed to failure is ridiculous.
He probably wouldn't have been my first choice but I don't claim to to foresee the future and know it won't end well.
Perhaps part of the problem in Laois is all the whingeing and moaning that goes on in the background. An appointment has been made, if the county got behind the team the chances of success may improve.
For those claiming this is an awful appointment - out of interest, who was the last manager you were happy with when they were announced?

High Fielder

I'm still wondering who Denis Gastric is. Only kidding town. I know who you meant. I know what you mean but you picked me up wrong. I liked his fire. We used to have plenty of that. We have none now.

Honestly, I couldn't care less who gets the job. We haven't got the players, and that worries me more. We're a Division 3 team who could easily go to 4 again.

town1980

I person was happy with John sugruu and eddie Brennan both who were recent managers but the county chairman though otherwise