Parents and Team Selection

Started by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe, September 23, 2019, 03:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

A Chairde,

just interested to find out how clubs across the country find the level of pressure being applied on coaches by parents and guardians. I've noticed in my own club a huge spike in recent years of parents starting massive hissy fits etc over team selection. It seems to be on the increase and I feel anyhow that it is a relatively new phenomenon

BennyCake

Well this is the snowflake generation.

How are parents going to put up Facebook photos of wee Johnny when he's not even fecking playing?!

Taylor

There is nothing worse than getting accosted by a parent who is unhappy 'wee Johnny' isnt starting.

Rather than actually tell them the truth I find it much better to try to explain that it is impossible for everyone to start and we try to give everyone game time

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on September 23, 2019, 03:11:17 PM

How are parents going to put up Facebook photos of wee Johnny when he's not even fecking playing?!

No! we have the win at all costs Coach Generation, who are not interested in participation. Only parading Trophy winning teams on Facebook!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 23, 2019, 03:03:45 PM
A Chairde,

just interested to find out how clubs across the country find the level of pressure being applied on coaches by parents and guardians. I've noticed in my own club a huge spike in recent years of parents starting massive hissy fits etc over team selection. It seems to be on the increase and I feel anyhow that it is a relatively new phenomenon

If your Kid is not getting some game time. There are two options - approach the coach about the situation or leave the sport (as you cannot jump ship to another club in GAA)!

Baile Brigín 2

Its a fine line. One one hand you want engagement from parents. On the other hand the coach is the boss.

I suppose its how you define hissy fit. If you calmy explain and they still keep going, its one for the committee to manage.

clarshack

A lot of underage coaches are nepotistic and i'd say this is a major reason for pissing off the other parents.

Christmas Lights

Just on this, what are peoples thoughts of the likes of under 6 blitz's?  I would be of the opinion that its too young, I would rather just train them at the club.  Ive been to under 6 blitz's and its just organised chaos!

Taylor

Quote from: Christmas Lights on September 23, 2019, 05:27:32 PM
Just on this, what are peoples thoughts of the likes of under 6 blitz's?  I would be of the opinion that its too young, I would rather just train them at the club.  Ive been to under 6 blitz's and its just organised chaos!

Agree it is too young for a blitz. Mayhem at them

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 23, 2019, 04:11:56 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 23, 2019, 03:11:17 PM

No! we have the win at all costs Coach Generation, who are not interested in participation. Only parading Trophy winning teams on Facebook!

Yeah, that too.

delgany

Once had a parent ask me for the child's membership fee back in the middle of a tournament. I quickly opened the wallet and handed it back and pointed them in the direction of the gate!

HiMucker

Quote from: delgany on September 23, 2019, 06:59:01 PM
Once had a parent ask me for the child's membership fee back in the middle of a tournament. I quickly opened the wallet and handed it back and pointed them in the direction of the gate!
f**k you fairly showed them there, great promotion of the primary ethos of the GAA.  ::)

Milltown Row2

These parents prey on the weak coaches, tell them to f**k off or go manage a team that will allow their kid to play on..

Took a juvenile team for years. Struggled to get kids to play never mind worrying about daft parents
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

Quote from: HiMucker on September 23, 2019, 07:14:21 PM
Quote from: delgany on September 23, 2019, 06:59:01 PM
f**k you fairly showed them there, great promotion of the primary ethos of the GAA.  ::)

You need to know when to cut your losses. Some arse moaning in yer ear on a weekly basis , needs to know that the club won't fall apart without them.

StephenC

One think that I'm pushing in our club is that at the start of the year, the parents are clearly told the criteria for playing time. So, up to U12, it's a case of equal time for everyone, ideally full games, but if you must have subs, everyone spends a turn on the sideline.

For U14, U16, it might be that every kid get's at least a half in every game in the league, and that for Championship it's the strongest team.

It won't get rid of all the issues, but at least it's clear to everyone from the off and the coach can refer back to it if there are questions from a parent.

Every coach should be able to calmly and clearly explain the amount of game time that each child is getting. Too often coaches go with the 'he'll play a full game next time' BS, instead of openly talking about why you are not selecting him/her.