Drugs in UK sports....

Started by muppet, June 09, 2015, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: pullhard on September 08, 2015, 03:44:35 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/34190297

shes clutching for supporters

Or maybe she's done nothing wrong!

Is everybody that breaks a record a doper?

Testing for red blood cells for a start is nonsense. The normal parameters are not valid because athletes that get to that level are freaks without taking any illegal substances. From the start they are special. likes of Sonia and CaitrĂ­ona McKiernan. The reason they are special is because of a combination of several physiological advantages.

I'm no elite athlete but I managed to do a decent half marathon 1 week after having 3 pints of blood taken in 14 days. My haemoglobin stayed up - but most people would not be able to go down to the shop after they had that done. Red blood cell count is all over the place.

Altitude training and training in hotter temps. could affect it as well. Women and red blood cell count is even more iffy for obvious reasons.

theskull1

She certainly didn't look comfortable in that BBC interview done a couple of weeks ago. Wonder what the non verbal communication experts are seeing here?

part of it at this link here http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/athletics/34190297

I always admired her for her gritty style and was happy to see her get the global recognition fairly late in her career
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

The problem she has now is her credibility. You can only call for transparency if you're transparent yourself - if you don't you look hypocritical.

I don't actually believe she did anything. There are a lot of complexities to blood data which the average Joe, very much including me, wouldn't know and journalists are having a field day sensationalising with that.

However she has really shot herself in the foot.

Pub Bore

Declan

https://twitter.com/Scienceofsport

Just follow some of the conversations here - fascinating stuff

Dinny Breen

In the last month

Athletics
Rugby
Cycling
Boxing

and they're just the high profile ones.

Is there any sport out there that isn't touched by drugs?
#newbridgeornowhere

Mike Tyson

Golf? Would there be much use of PEDs in golf, apart from maybe increasing drive distance by increasing strength?

NAG1

Quote from: Mike Tyson on September 10, 2015, 10:36:25 AM
Golf? Would there be much use of PEDs in golf, apart from maybe increasing drive distance by increasing strength?

Ask Vijay

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

nrico2006

You could look at Radcliffe and have suspicions purely on the fact that she holds the world record in the marathon (so many years after setting it) in an event dominated by Africans.  That, coupled with her pretty average track career, would lead many to question the authenticity of her achievements. 

Farah obviously has his own critics too, especially when you look at the fact he only started to become a player on the world stage at the age of 27/28 and that was around the time he started working with Salazar who by all accounts is fond of supplying his athletes with illegal supplements.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ballinaman

JoG2

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 10, 2015, 10:49:58 AM
You could look at Radcliffe and have suspicions purely on the fact that she holds the world record in the marathon (so many years after setting it) in an event dominated by Africans.  That, coupled with her pretty average track career, would lead many to question the authenticity of her achievements. 

Farah obviously has his own critics too, especially when you look at the fact he only started to become a player on the world stage at the age of 27/28 and that was around the time he started working with Salazar who by all accounts is fond of supplying his athletes with illegal supplements.

Sally Gunnell and Kelly Holmes are always the 2 that spring to my mind....there is not a hope that they weren't up to their eyes in whatever  the rage was , enhancement wise, in their day (imo).

Linford too, but he was caught as far as I know. The other 2 were lucky

Mo Farrah and Paula Radcliffe had to have been on the juice as well.

imtommygunn

Linford was actually caught in a comeback from retirement race.

Farah, as well as working with Salazar, has been seen training with an ethiopian guy who's currently serving 2 years for doping.

I'm not convinced Radcliffe is guilty - I don't think she was at it. She has handled it pretty badly though.

No on Gunnell or Holmes too.