Drugs in UK sports....

Started by muppet, June 09, 2015, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smort

Sky weren't allowed to use the camper vans at the TdF.

Clov

Contador was caught for Clenbutarol not EPO.

As for microdosing, it was for this reason that the UCI recently introduced night time testing.

Athletics seems to be where cycling was about 10 years ago.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

INDIANA

Quote from: Clov on August 20, 2015, 04:16:43 PM

As for microdosing, it was for this reason that the UCI recently introduced night time testing.

Michael Ashenden was called to give evidence against Contador in the Court of Arbritration in Switzerland because his blood passport was off the charts. it was his evidence in 2012 that got him outed once and for all as a cheat. So while Clenbutarol may have been the public line it was very much blood doping as well.

Contador was done twice in 2006 for having a hematocrit level over 50% which showed the arrogance cyclists had for the rules at the times

muppet

I read recently where the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) Chief claimed its budget was smaller than Wayne Rooney's salary.

It hasn't a prayer really.
MWWSI 2017

Clov

Quote from: muppet on August 20, 2015, 05:21:30 PM

I read recently where the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) Chief claimed its budget was smaller than Wayne Rooney's salary.

May be. It has operating costs of about $30m per annum. Surely more than Rooney's salary?
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

muppet

Quote from: Clov on August 20, 2015, 05:34:59 PM

May be. It has operating costs of about $30m per annum. Surely more than Rooney's salary?

http://news.yahoo.com/wada-decide-tougher-doping-rules-elect-leader-learn-151319720--spt.html

"We've got a budget of not even the salary that Wayne Rooney earns at Manchester United," WADA director general David Howman told The Associated Press.

MWWSI 2017

JimStynes

Quote from: INDIANA on August 20, 2015, 04:23:36 PM

Michael Ashenden was called to give evidence against Contador in the Court of Arbritration in Switzerland because his blood passport was off the charts. it was his evidence in 2012 that got him outed once and for all as a cheat. So while Clenbutarol may have been the public line it was very much blood doping as well.

Contador was done twice in 2006 for having a hematocrit level over 50% which showed the arrogance cyclists had for the rules at the times

I always found it hilarious when reading about all the riders hematocrit levels sitting at 49.5.

JimStynes

So are we all still split about whether bolt is doping or not?  ::)

Clov

Quote from: muppet on August 20, 2015, 05:39:44 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/wada-decide-tougher-doping-rules-elect-leader-learn-151319720--spt.html

"We've got a budget of not even the salary that Wayne Rooney earns at Manchester United," WADA director general David Howman told The Associated Press.

Well i don't know what his source is for Rooney's salary but according to wikipedia it is £13m, so around $20m US. So their annual expenditure is 50% higher than Rooney's salary.

Pedantry aside, what annual budget figure would be sufficient to adequately tackle doping in sport?

Clov

muppet

Quote from: Clov on August 20, 2015, 05:46:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 20, 2015, 05:39:44 PM

Well i don't know what his source is for Rooney's salary but according to wikipedia it is £13m, so around $20m US. So their annual expenditure is 50% higher than Rooney's salary.

Pedantry aside, what annual budget figure would be sufficient to adequately tackle doping in sport?

Forbes put it at $26m US. http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2014/02/22/wayne-rooney-signs-104-million-contract-with-manchester-united/

And I don't know, why don't you ask WADA?
MWWSI 2017

Clov

Sorry Muppet, I took it that your claim was that WADA's budget was too small to adequately deal with the problem of doping in sport?

I realise that my question is akin to asking about the proverbial length of string, and i'm sure with more money they could do more.

muppet

Quote from: Clov on August 20, 2015, 06:02:34 PM
Sorry Muppet, I took it that your claim was that WADA's budget was too small to adequately deal with the problem of doping in sport?

I realise that my question is akin to asking about the proverbial length of string, and i'm sure with more money they could do more.

This would seem to be reasonable.

If, purely for example, Floyd Mayweather earned more for a single fight, than WADA will spend in a decade, it is easy to see that if Mayweather wanted to cheat, his resources alone would dwarf those charged with catching him first of all, and then successfully prosecuting and sentencing him. (NB. I only picked Floyd because of his high earnings, I have no reason to believe that he or anyone else in boxing ever cheated). In monetary terms it would be a heavyweight boxer against a flyweight.

Hard to know how to level the playing field.

One possibility might be to force sportspeople, particularly high earners, to give a percentage of their incomes to WADA or an equivalent.
MWWSI 2017

Clov

Quote from: muppet on August 20, 2015, 06:13:34 PM

If, purely for example, Floyd Mayweather earned more for a single fight, than WADA will spend in a decade, it is easy to see that if Mayweather wanted to cheat, his resources alone would dwarf those charged with catching him first of all, and then successfully prosecuting and sentencing him. (NB. I only picked Floyd because of his high earnings, I have no reason to believe that he or anyone else in boxing ever cheated). In monetary terms it would be a heavyweight boxer against a flyweight.

One possibility might be to force sportspeople, particularly high earners, to give a percentage of their incomes to WADA or an equivalent.

Well i agree with the sentiment that anti-doping should be well funded.
I'm not sure that i buy the argument that the benchmark should be the salary of highest paid athletes though as i suspect that cheating and detecting cheating have asymmetrical costs.

muppet

Quote from: Clov on August 20, 2015, 06:26:04 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 20, 2015, 06:13:34 PM

Well i agree with the sentiment that anti-doping should be well funded.
I'm not sure that i buy the argument that the benchmark should be the salary of highest paid athletes though as i suspect that cheating and detecting cheating have asymmetrical costs.

Part of the idea would be the perverse please I would take from, for example, a Lance Armstrong-type having to give millions to someone to figure out what he was doing to earns those millions. Twisted I know.
MWWSI 2017