Drugs in UK sports....

Started by muppet, June 09, 2015, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2015/0609/706832-mo-farahs-medical-data-to-be-analysed/

Is the Farah story simply going to run dry or will it lift the lid on something a lot more sinister in UK sports?

Whatever about Farah there have been a couple of performances from athletes across the water over the years that raised the eyebrows, one in particular that I can think of. It will be interesting to watch the handwringing if systematic doping is proved.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2015, 01:19:15 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2015/0609/706832-mo-farahs-medical-data-to-be-analysed/

Is the Farah story simply going to run dry or will it lift the lid on something a lot more sinister in UK sports?

Whatever about Farah there have been a couple of performances from athletes across the water over the years that raised the eyebrows, one in particular that I can think of. It will be interesting to watch the handwringing if systematic doping is proved.
Rudisha 800m London 2012?

There have been mutterings online about Farah for a couple of years in relation to his performances. Probably nothing in it but when a English players takes a dive in a soccer match the commentators are generally looking the other way, so you aren't going to see many meaningful investigations into Britain's golden boy.

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 09, 2015, 01:24:54 PM

Rudisha 800m London 2012?

There have been mutterings online about Farah for a couple of years in relation to his performances. Probably nothing in it but when a English players takes a dive in a soccer match the commentators are generally looking the other way, so you aren't going to see many meaningful investigations into Britain's golden boy.

Nor previous golden girls either, some who were tipped off about the testers and for some inexplicable reason changed hotels, I wonder why? Maybe she didn't have any whiskey to hand!!

Minder

A fella in work was saying if Bolt ever fails a drugs test they will cover it up as it will be the end of Athletics !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

JoG2

Dame Kelly Holmes ?

muppet

I am not going to name anyone, not least as I don't have any proof, but let's say at least one of you lads is on the same wavelength as I am.

Michelle Smith's times went to world class level in her mid 20s. To say that was unusual for a top class female athlete or swimmer, would be understating it. A couple of the British performers peaked well after that.

It is really sad that sport is reduced to this level of suspicion all the time, but until they start outing the obvious cheats, it will go on and on and on. Look how long it took for them to get Armstrong and the damage that did in the long run.
MWWSI 2017

RealSpiritof98

I'd say more likely Christine Oghuruogo, in between big events she is dort but has peaked for much of the big ones and stays like a 4 miler.

After Armstrong I have suspicions about every sport, the fact that a modern day 'hero' can build a multi million £ fortune in such a short space of time cheating will always be an issue. Ffs the yank dude broke the 100 metres Diamond league record after his second ban this past week. Also I'm no sports scientist but is the waters between a supplement and a PEDs just getting muddier.

Regarding Farah I'm now led to thinkingn There is no smoke without fire. At his press conference he was very bullish but the comment that worried me was ' if you have anything on me, bring it' sounded very Armstrongesqe. And if I'm honest and I was a runner and I'm forever coming in 6/7th and struggling to pay the mortgage I wouldnt half be tempted when I know all the guys in front of me are at it. In such as premier league is no longer a sport rather a business, taking PEDs has to be classed as a business decision albeit a very risky one.

Premier Emperor

He's on the verge of becoming Somalian runner Mo Farah!

screenexile

I've been burned before in this but I've read that Bolt was breaking records since he was very young and I also read an article by a British Sprinter stating that he believed Bolt was one of the few legit guys out there but it remains to be seen.

The whole thing is rotten though... what can you do?!!!

Personally given the fact that taking even one course of steroids can improve your lifetime performance there should be a lifetime ban in place for anyone who's caught at it. For Gatlin to be caught twice and still be running is just farcical at this stage!!

muppet

Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2015, 02:36:04 PM
I've been burned before in this but I've read that Bolt was breaking records since he was very young and I also read an article by a British Sprinter stating that he believed Bolt was one of the few legit guys out there but it remains to be seen.

Personally given the fact that taking even one course of steroids can improve your lifetime performance there should be a lifetime ban in place for anyone who's caught at it. For Gatlin to be caught twice and still be running is just farcical at this stage!!

In fairness to Bolt his times as a teenager were sensational. He was coming for a long time. I remember Michael Johnson mentioned him as being 'the guy who will break my 200m record'. It was the first time I had heard of Bolt.
MWWSI 2017

Minder

Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2015, 02:53:13 PM

In fairness to Bolt his times as a teenager were sensational. He was coming for a long time. I remember Michael Johnson mentioned him as being 'the guy who will break my 200m record'. It was the first time I had heard of Bolt.

I would agree but according to the Panorama programme last week US athlete Galen Rupp was on PEDs since he was 16.

muppet

Quote from: Minder on June 09, 2015, 02:56:04 PM

I would agree but according to the Panorama programme last week US athlete Galen Rupp was on PEDs since he was 16.

Wasn't he Farah's training partner?
MWWSI 2017

Minder

Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2015, 02:59:28 PM
Quote from: Minder on June 09, 2015, 02:56:04 PM

Wasn't he Farah's training partner?

Yes it was part of the investigation into Farahs coach, Salazar, he was silver medallist behind Farah in the 2012 Olympics.

deiseach

If Rudisha was ever found to be dirty, I'd give up on individual sports.

NAG1

During Bolt's early years coming up through the ranks, drug testing in the Caribbean islands was more or less non existent. It was only at international events that their athletes were getting tested with any regularity. So it is not that difficult to see why there was such a surge from that part of the world. Dangle the sort of money that is involved in these diamond leagues etc and you will get people cutting corners every day of the week.