Are Michael O Neill and Gerry Armstong Off Their Heads??

Started by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe, January 05, 2012, 12:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I have just about got fed up listening to the IFA moan on about players who have been born in NI declaring for the Republic. The latest drivel has been spouted today by new NI manager M O Neill. His rational was that lads would get more play time with NI than the republic. Does he not understand why these guys are declaring for the Republic? Its not about prestige or game time its about deep rooted cultural differences.  Take Mc Clean and Gibson. Both are from Derry Citry. Both come from working class nationlist housing estates- Creggan and Hazelbank. Nobody ever walks around these areas wearing NI jerseys, in fact it would go down like a lead ballon. NORTHERN NATIONALISTS IN THE MAIN CONSIDER THEMSELVES IRISH NOT BRITISH. They do never feel comfortable or welcome standing in Windsor Park listening to God Save The Queen and facing the Union Jack. I could go on on but I wont. Other northern nationalists have and will continue to play for the North but those that dont want to should not be made feel guilty about feeling Irish and playing for the Republic

Jonah

Does Jimmy Floyd know there is a housing estate in Derry named after him?

AFS

Oh good. I do not believe this topic has ever been raised on the board before.

Tony Baloney

angermanagement

If they feel so strongly why do they all play underage football for the North, yes fair play to them if they make the choice but many of them have wore the shirt for years and it didn't seem to affect there culture at the time.

sammymaguire

I don't believe 15-16 year old school boys have much if any choice but to play for NI as the FAI does not offer routes to play for the Rep through schools in the 6 counties

Could be wrong though
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Billys Boots

I would have thought that representation (at schoolboy/youth level) was determined by the team you play for and the league you play in, and not confined to these parts. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: angermanagement on January 05, 2012, 09:09:36 AM
If they feel so strongly why do they all play underage football for the North, yes fair play to them if they make the choice but many of them have wore the shirt for years and it didn't seem to affect there culture at the time.

I cant resist been trivial at times, but you have used the wrong there/their in your post. But on a more serious note, you can hardly blame an underage player for not always been able to make the choices he/she wants. I also don't think the same opportunities/rules are there at underage.

Rav67

It's not JUST about political allegiances.  If NI were a better team than Republic and were the ones with a realistic chance of qualifying for tournaments then plenty of the same boys would have opted for NI instead, the same way as they gravitate towards the best league/club they can play in/for.

Maguire01

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 05, 2012, 06:56:44 PM
Quote from: angermanagement on January 05, 2012, 09:09:36 AM

I cant resist been trivial at times, but you have used the wrong there/their in your post. But on a more serious note, you can hardly blame an underage player for not always been able to make the choices he/she wants. I also don't think the same opportunities/rules are there at underage.
I can't resist either. You've used the wrong been/being in your post.
:P

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rav67 on January 05, 2012, 07:03:27 PM
It's not JUST about political allegiances.  If NI were a better team than Republic and were the ones with a realistic chance of qualifying for tournaments then plenty of the same boys would have opted for NI instead, the same way as they gravitate towards the best league/club they can play in/for.
Good point. These lads are mercenaries and will play for the best available team.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

You are right its not. But I know that with Gibson and Mc Clean its because they were brought up as nationalists in households where NI matches were turned over and everyone always supported the Republic. Mc Clean was in a local paper today in Derry saying that it has always been his dream to play for the Republic. Have you ever been at an NI match? Its not a comfortable place if you are a Nationalist.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 05, 2012, 07:07:33 PM
Good point. These lads are mercenaries and will play for the best available team.

anyone with 6000 plus posts could not be a mercenary anyhow-you must be a dole sponger :D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 05, 2012, 07:13:13 PM

You are right its not. But I know that with Gibson and Mc Clean its because they were brought up as nationalists in households where NI matches were turned over and everyone always supported the Republic. Mc Clean was in a local paper today in Derry saying that it has always been his dream to play for the Republic. Have you ever been at an NI match? Its not a comfortable place if you are a Nationalist.
If McClean was a hardcore nationalist why did he play for NI at U21?

Main Street

National identity as expressed by choosing to play for the FAI, is a political allegiance?

Quite frankly Rav, I doubt that you have one iota why any player born outside the 26 counties has chosen to play for the FAI.