How much of your transactions are in cash?

Started by AustinPowers, October 23, 2023, 04:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What percentage of your transactions are in cash?

100% cash (don't use cards or apps)
90 - 99% cash
About 75% cash
About 50% cash / 50% card (or apps)
About 25% cash
1 - 10% cash
Don't use cash (all transactions are cards or apps)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trueblue1234 on October 24, 2023, 03:30:12 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on October 24, 2023, 03:15:57 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2023, 02:56:47 PMAs for the chip shop, if they have upped their prices because of the rise in using machines, surely if you pay cash they could offer a lower price to the cash user?

I'm not sure if they upped their prices  because of card payments  increasing.  But that's a good  point.  I'd be happy enough to see that sort of thing to  increase cash use. Fish supper £X with cash, £X + 10% with card.

The other  thing pushing cashless is insurance.  It seems to be  more common for businesses to  be quoted very high premiums for  handling cash , or insurance companies refusing to insure  them.
There's a PR issue there. Needs to be framed right. They need to say 10% discount for cash. If you put 10% on the the price for card transactions, then you get the Karen's on Facebook giving out about bout it and how big a disgrace it is. Small businesses like that live and die by good relations.
Personally only even use cash when there is no option for card. Changed to one of those small wallet things now as hardly ever have cash in me pockets.
T'was handy excuse when the neighbouring clubs used to call at the door with Tickets, til they pulled a bloody card reader from their pockets!! 
The missus got caught with this too last year. We genuinely never have cash in the house and there ones round selling club tickets and when she said we had no cash he pulled out a wee SumUp machine.

RedHand88

Quote from: marty34 on October 24, 2023, 06:17:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2023, 02:56:47 PMAs for the chip shop, if they have upped their prices because of the rise in using machines, surely if you pay cash they could offer a lower price to the cash user?

I'm not sure if they upped their prices  because of card payments  increasing.  But that's a good  point.  I'd be happy enough to see that sort of thing to  increase cash use. Fish supper £X with cash, £X + 10% with card.

The other  thing pushing cashless is insurance.  It seems to be  more common for businesses to  be quoted very high premiums for  handling cash , or insurance companies refusing to insure  them.
There's a PR issue there. Needs to be framed right. They need to say 10% discount for cash. If you put 10% on the the price for card transactions, then you get the Karen's on Facebook giving out about bout it and how big a disgrace it is. Small businesses like that live and die by good relations.
Personally only even use cash when there is no option for card. Changed to one of those small wallet things now as hardly ever have cash in me pockets.
T'was handy excuse when the neighbouring clubs used to call at the door with Tickets, til they pulled a bloody card reader from their pockets!! 

Would there be many clubs going door to door now?

Pre Covid there would have been a good few iirc, selling 1 for £20 and 3 for £50 etc.

Maybe too much hassle now for clubs and it's all about the corporate funding raising now.

Yes I had one recently. I said I didn't have cash and he pulled out a card machine!!
Told him I wasn't interested.

RedHand88

Quote from: Would ye whist on October 24, 2023, 03:50:19 PMInteresting

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/co-antrim-cafe-goes-cash-only-due-to-cost-of-living-crisis/a1437578900.html

Quote from: AustinPowers on October 24, 2023, 02:49:14 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on October 24, 2023, 09:20:59 AMUnsure how you would be scammed tapping for things like drinks/ food, instant text alert to your phone to let you know how much you were just charged so would make it more difficult to scam I would have thought.

I'm sure those businesses relying on people paying card or cash will have this built into their pricing structure and I would say for the convenience most people happy to accept this.

As has been said above, those business which are cash only or encouraging cash have their own reasons for doing so  ;)

Not all businesses who  prefer cash are  on the fiddle. 

Remember listening to radio a while back about  cash/card payments. One  businessman, think he was a small business west of Ireland. Said a lot  of his  sales was smaller items, possibly a coffee, newspaper,  milk, bread etc... maybe between 5-10 Euro.  He said he had to  stop  accepting cards because the  fees were just too  much for  a small transactions  like his.

Another recently , a chip shop I think it was , he  said his card machine fees were usually around 200 a month.  Lately it's 800-900. I'm not sure if that's due to  banks upping their fees , or more people paying by card. Either way , that's a big  rise in a short timeframe . So, it's understandable why some prefer cash.

On a different sort of angle ,  a man dropped his  teen kids off at a concert.  The Aviva or somewhere.  The kids just had cash , no card. They were  there for hours, and couldn't get anything to eat  or drink because it was cashless.  What if one kid was  diabetic and needed something to  eat or drink to control  their sugar levels?

Bring a Glucagon hypokit.

marty34

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 24, 2023, 06:51:47 PM

Pre Covid there would have been a good few iirc, selling 1 for £20 and 3 for £50 etc.

Maybe too much hassle now for clubs and it's all about the corporate funding raising now.

Yes I had one recently. I said I didn't have cash and he pulled out a card machine!!

I'd always try and buy a gaa ticket if people came to my door.

Such a thankless task on wet wintery nights and usually from a club miles and miles away.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: marty34 on October 24, 2023, 08:47:21 PM

Such a thankless task on wet wintery nights and usually from a club miles and miles away.

Even when they're 100 quid?

marty34

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 24, 2023, 09:22:26 PM
Quote from: marty34 on October 24, 2023, 08:47:21 PM

Even when they're 100 quid?

They'll not take £100 off you. You can pay bit by bit.

The draw usually isn't for 12 months down the line.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: bennydorano on October 24, 2023, 05:08:14 PMDo u get charged for cash withdrawals ftom atms in the states? Probably the way they'll try to wean us off cash here eventually. They did try to introduce it here (UK as opposed to NI) years ago but there was a huge back lash & it died a death.

Only if you use a machine outside of your bank's network. We use a credit union, and all the different credit union ATMs are on the same network, so no fees as long as we use them.

There are small commercial ATMs in bars and shops, but they charge quite a bit for withdrawals. I never use them unless it's some sort of emergency, which is never nowadays.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2023, 01:20:46 PMI take cash, cheques and card, mostly card due to the sums, farmers like the aul cash or cheque book. Get a lot of payments through BACS,

Prefer taking it via machine, then I'm not running around with a lot of cash to bank.

But it will be cashless soon enough, as soon as the banks stop charging for the use of cards and transactions, I'm not sure why they do if the system is up and running, it shouldn't cost the punters at this stage!

Benny, I always use the self scanny thingy in Tesco, no hanging about at the counter waiting on some twat counting out his pennies, while having a conversation about pure shite!

The only reason I don't use the self checkout is it's not much faster than the service checkout. You have to put each item in the bagging area before you can scan the next one, but the cashier at their checkout can just go rapid fire through all the items.

I like the idea of the scan-as-you-go that the Dutch have and I saw in Tesco last time I was home. It hasn't arrived stateside yet, which doesn't surprise me, because this place is always ten years behind with this sort of thing.

I saw a video going around the other day about tills in Japan. All the products have some sort of RFID tags in them. Set your basket on the till and it instantly knows everything that's in there, you press a few buttons on the screen to confirm and pay and away you go. I'd be okay with that.

Does anybody here remember a store in America called Fresh & Easy? It was Tesco's attempt to crack the US market. They had tills that could be self service or full service. A lot of innovations, and a good place to shop, but it didn't catch on.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 24, 2023, 05:37:54 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 24, 2023, 04:48:36 PMI use cash to pay for petrol because there's a dodgy station near us that gives you a big discount for it

That was one thing I noticed when I was driving in that area - the gas stations had different prices if you paid in cash or paid by card. It was only 10 to 15 cents a gallon saving

It adds up quickly if you drive a lot, which people in America do

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 24, 2023, 11:30:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2023, 01:20:46 PMI take cash, cheques and card, mostly card due to the sums, farmers like the aul cash or cheque book. Get a lot of payments through BACS,

Prefer taking it via machine, then I'm not running around with a lot of cash to bank.

But it will be cashless soon enough, as soon as the banks stop charging for the use of cards and transactions, I'm not sure why they do if the system is up and running, it shouldn't cost the punters at this stage!

Benny, I always use the self scanny thingy in Tesco, no hanging about at the counter waiting on some twat counting out his pennies, while having a conversation about pure shite!

The only reason I don't use the self checkout is it's not much faster than the service checkout. You have to put each item in the bagging area before you can scan the next one, but the cashier at their checkout can just go rapid fire through all the items.

I like the idea of the scan-as-you-go that the Dutch have and I saw in Tesco last time I was home. It hasn't arrived stateside yet, which doesn't surprise me, because this place is always ten years behind with this sort of thing.

I saw a video going around the other day about tills in Japan. All the products have some sort of RFID tags in them. Set your basket on the till and it instantly knows everything that's in there, you press a few buttons on the screen to confirm and pay and away you go. I'd be okay with that.

Does anybody here remember a store in America called Fresh & Easy? It was Tesco's attempt to crack the US market. They had tills that could be self service or full service. A lot of innovations, and a good place to shop, but it didn't catch on.

I scan and go, it's a hell of a lot quicker. I'm generally going at lunchtime Fridays so no real time to hang about. I generally pick what's on offer. Tesco is a dear hole
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Smart shop is the way forward. The technology in the Sainsburys app is very fast and picks up the barcode very quick. I thought it would be a pain in the hole but you can fly round scanning and putting the stuff directly into bags, scan the barcode at the till, pay and then leave 9 times out of 10. The odd time they'll do a security check.

trailer

As a fellow Gael I always buy the tickets. GAA people going out of a cold night to raise money for their club and community. Least anyone can do as fellow GAA person is buy a ticket. Had a club round a week ago.

trueblue1234

Quote from: trailer on October 25, 2023, 08:37:18 AM

As a fellow Gael I always buy the tickets. GAA people going out of a cold night to raise money for their club and community. Least anyone can do as fellow GAA person is buy a ticket. Had a club round a week ago.
Some clubs take the p!ss. To be fair, the last one was Dromore and only £20 tickets so not so bad. 3 for 40.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

Quote from: trueblue1234 on October 25, 2023, 08:42:59 AM
Quote from: trailer on October 25, 2023, 08:37:18 AM

Some clubs take the p!ss. To be fair, the last one was Dromore and only £20 tickets so not so bad. 3 for 40.

£20 is fair. I bought 3 for £40 of the last club.

Milltown Row2

If its a £100 ticket, not everyone is in a position (nowadays) to fork that out, but certainly I'd rather be giving my money to the club if I can.

I'd a neighbour many years ago him and his wife bought a club ticket, now he was a local from Newtownabbey and she was from Armagh, she bought a £100 ticket for a house and the feckers won it lol!

Magheralin I think, ya never know! They at the time had just bought the house facing us, what a boost to win a house, needles to say they sold the house and moved, and made good money of their own house that they were in for 3 years.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea