Memories/stories of Jack Charlton and of his time as Ireland manager

Started by BennyCake, July 14, 2020, 08:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: ONeill on July 15, 2020, 11:30:01 PM
I remember him coming in to my local pub in East Tyrone and buying everyone a drink. There were only 5 in it at the time in but the barman cashed the cheque anyway and didn't put it on the wall. Jack wasn't happy.

And Socrates played for UCD.

sid waddell

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 16, 2020, 01:23:31 PM
I remember him coming in to my local pub in East Tyrone and buying everyone a drink. There were only 5 in it at the time in but the barman cashed the cheque anyway and didn't put it on the wall. Jack wasn't happy.

Shelbourne reserves actually.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: sid waddell on July 16, 2020, 02:04:19 PM

Did you know Germany's away kit is green because of Ireland?

There is actually a thread in Irish sporting myths.

sid waddell

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 16, 2020, 02:30:22 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 16, 2020, 02:04:19 PM

Did you know Germany's away kit is green because of Ireland?

There is actually a thread in Irish sporting myths.
That Hill 16 was constructed from the rubble of the Easter Rising is a myth, but what is true is that the second incarnation of Hill 16 was partly constructed from the rubble of the Nelson pillar. Also Pillar Caffrey got his nickname because used to work at the pillar as a toddler.

macdanger2

RIP Jack, nice tribute by the radio stations playing Give it a lash jack @1230

BennyCake

Just watched the documentary last night. Sad to see Jack decline like he did. He and the team gave us some brilliant memories.

What was Brendan O'Carroll doing on it though? I noticed he didn't talk about him getting his ponytail cut off at the World Cup.

Taylor

Quote from: BennyCake on April 15, 2021, 05:07:13 PM
Just watched the documentary last night. Sad to see Jack decline like he did. He and the team gave us some brilliant memories.

What was Brendan O'Carroll doing on it though? I noticed he didn't talk about him getting his ponytail cut off at the World Cup.

Brendan OCarroll was a weird one alright but not as weird as Chris DeBurgh  :o

BennyCake

Quote from: Taylor on April 15, 2021, 05:10:35 PM

Yes, very weird!

johnnycool

Quote from: BennyCake on April 15, 2021, 06:46:27 PM

Yes, very weird!

Was that him in Rome with the players after they got beat by Italy?

Taylor

Quote from: johnnycool on April 16, 2021, 11:33:36 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 15, 2021, 06:46:27 PM

Yes, very weird!

Was that him in Rome with the players after they got beat by
Italy?

I think so yeah.

He had a couple of sing songs with the players in the hotel after games.

Strange

Olly

He came into our local pub and bought a big round of drinks for everyone. Paid with a cheque but the owner never cashed it. He framed it on the wall.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Never beat the deeler

Ah the famous cheque story... Not that I'm doubting ur version but its been told that many times there must be a cheque in every pub in country..

One I liked that I read over last week was about him and Cas walking around Giants stadium before Ireland/Italy game at World Cup 94 and it was a sea of green. As they got to the end he looked at Cas and said "f**k me Tony you're the only Italian here"

I reckon half the story's have been exaggerated for after dinner speaking purposes but there's no doubt he was a character
Hasta la victoria siempre