Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunsilly King

Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2021, 10:55:31 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 27, 2021, 09:55:56 AM
Seen this the other day, and spoke with others about it also....

Football, keeper kicks the ball out, defender/midfielder catches the ball, the ref as usual blows for the mark and is claimed by catcher, the player then passes the ball back to the keeper.. play on or foul?

My view:

If mark is claimed it's a new play, so next kick is the first phase of a play (for want of a better phrase), not a continuation of the kickout phase, so no foul. Similarly, if keeper kicks the ball out to his 7, but the opposition 12 clearly fouled him before the ball reaches him and ref blows for a free. Then the free kick can be passed back to the keeper.

Whereas if the mark wasn't claimed and midfielder plays on, then it's the same phase of play, so if he then passes to the keeper it would be a foul.

Thats my view as well.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general on September 27, 2021, 10:53:26 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 27, 2021, 09:55:56 AM
Seen this the other day, and spoke with others about it also....

Football, keeper kicks the ball out, defender/midfielder catches the ball, the ref as usual blows for the mark and is claimed by catcher, the player then passes the ball back to the keeper.. play on or foul?

Foul -

Rule 2.7(a) and (c) applies.
• Kick-out shall be taken from the ground at the centre of 20m line.
• Kick-out cannot be kicked backwards.
• All players to be outside 20m line, 13m from the ball and outside the semi-circle arc.
• Goalkeeper not taking the kick-out shall remain in the small rectangle.
• If the defender is kicking out the ball, the rule does not prevent the ball been played
back to the defender.
• The ball shall not travel less than 13m and outside the 20m before been played by
another member of the defending team.
• The player who directly receives the ball from a kick-out cannot pass the ball back to
the goalkeeper without another person playing it. Free to be taken from where the
Goalkeeper receives the ball.

o "Pass" means all passes, including kick passes (from the hand or the ground)
and hand passes.
o To "Pass the ball directly back to goalkeeper" should be interpreted as cannot
be passed to the goalkeeper, regardless of direction.
o Free is conceded when the Goalkeeper plays the ball.

And I get that, but when a referee blows his whistle is that the start of a new play? Has anyone seen it either way since the mark and pass back to keeper rule has been in play? why You'd do it in the first place is baffling, but it happened
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Was reading an article in Gaelic Life this morning about a Derry match in the 80's. Some of the players got lost going to Mayo, and the referee threw the ball in, even  though Derry only had 13 men on the pitch.

Is this allowed? I thought if a team didn't have the full 15 players, they forfeited the game?

Anyway, if a match is   allowed to go ahead without the full 15 , when those players take to the field after the match starts, is that  counted as a substitute?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on November 10, 2021, 11:44:12 AM
Was reading an article in Gaelic Life this morning about a Derry match in the 80's. Some of the players got lost going to Mayo, and the referee threw the ball in, even  though Derry only had 13 men on the pitch.

Is this allowed? I thought if a team didn't have the full 15 players, they forfeited the game?

Anyway, if a match is   allowed to go ahead without the full 15 , when those players take to the field after the match starts, is that  counted as a substitute?

13 to start but 15 by the start of the second half. In the event of failure to comply the game shall continue... I think  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

Quote from: BennyCake on November 10, 2021, 11:44:12 AM

You must have 15 players at the start of the 2nd half in championship games.
League rules can vary by county   but  you can play 14 v 15 for example

Milltown Row2

Former leading referee Barry Kelly has lamented the lack of tolerance shown to match officials making errors.

After a weekend when referees Jerome Henry and Johnny Murphy came in for abuse on and off the field respectively, four-time All-Ireland SHC final referee Kelly believes the current crop are shown little or no patience unlike players.

Referring to the Connacht Club SFC semi-final in Roscommon on Saturday when Barry McHugh was denied a mark and referee Henry was later bumped by Mountbellew-Moylough players, Kelly said: "Jerome made a mistake, that can't be disputed. It was a mark. For whatever reason, Jerome didn't call it and that can happen.

"But there is such an intolerance for referees making mistakes. A Ballyhale player (Joe Cuddihy) was sent off before half-time against St Rynaghs. I'm quite sure TJ Reid, Colin Fennelly, or Adrian Mullen didn't give him a complete and utter bollocking in the dressing room. And I'm quite sure the Ballyhale supporters didn't turn on him either and correctly so.

"He made a mistake and he could have cost his club a place in the Leinster club final. John McGrath made a similar mistake in reacting like he did. He was probably being annoyed by the Ballygunner player but it's not him but the referee who receives the criticism.

"I'm going to games, still refereeing some and the threshold for a referee to make a mistake is one. You could be lucky enough and 10 minutes gone and you haven't heard a peep from anyone. Then maybe you might make a wrong call and suddenly it's as if you committed an act of gross cruelty, a complete overreaction."

Kelly believes feelings run higher in club fixtures. "For the majority of GAA people, the club arouses the most passion. People are ultimately club people and if you offer them the choice of winning a county final or the county winning the All-Ireland, it would be the club winning the county final.

"You take this time of year and any club still involved whether it's Mountbellew-Moylough, Pádraig Pearses, Ballyhale... those clubs have had successful years and by and large have won the vast majority, if not all of their matches. Therefore, the supporters are used to winning.

"But you're not entitled to win every game and we're not entitled to perfection. People will deny that and say they just want common sense but why can't they appreciate that the referee as well as their own players can make a mistake?"

Negative comments on social media about the performances of the referees have also disappointed Kelly.

Current and former hurlers weighed in to criticise Murphy's handling of the Munster Club SHC semi-final in Fraher Field. "People have to realise that just because you're passionate about a club or a county doesn't give you carte blanche to lose basic standards of decency.

"A lot of social media is just a forum for people to make comments without backing them up. I saw over the weekend comments like 'what are the GAA doing about the standard of refereeing?' There is a huge amount of work being done in the last 15 to 20 years and I've no doubt in my mind that the standard is better than it ever has been."

theticklemister

Ladies football:

Defender hand passes ball into her own net without anyone touching it.

Goal disallowed. Correct decision. Yes?

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: theticklemister on April 03, 2022, 03:07:55 PM
Ladies football:

Defender hand passes ball into her own net without anyone touching it.

Goal disallowed. Correct decision. Yes?

Not sure about ladies but would be a goal anywhere else.

imtommygunn

If a defender fist passes the ball into his own net surely it doesn't count?

imtommygunn

It has been a few years since I played but I would swear I have played in a game where it's been disallowed!

twohands!!!

QuoteA goal is scored when the ball is played over the goal-line between the posts and under the crossbar by either team.

Exceptions:
A player on the team attacking a goal and who is in possession of the ball may not score;
(i) by carrying the ball over his opponents' goal-line, or
(ii) with his hand(s).

In men's if a player plays it over his own goal-line it's a goal - if it didn't count as a goal you would see defenders/goalies under pressure putting the ball into their own net all the time.

From the Ladies rule book

QuoteA score results when the ball is kicked, flicked, fisted or palmed in flight by any part of the body, except when thrown or carried over the line by the Attacking Side.

QuoteShould a defender play the ball in any manner through her own scoring space it shall count as a score.

Pretty much the exact same rule in both codes - if a defender hand-passes into their own goal it should count as a goal in both codes.

theticklemister

I was referee and disallowed it.

But, I will learn from this.
Quote from: twohands!!! on April 03, 2022, 07:02:13 PM

QuoteA goal is scored when the ball is played over the goal-line between the posts and under the crossbar by either team.

Exceptions:
A player on the team attacking a goal and who is in possession of the ball may not score;
(i) by carrying the ball over his opponents' goal-line, or
(ii) with his hand(s).

In men's if a player plays it over his own goal-line it's a goal - if it didn't count as a goal you would see defenders/goalies under pressure putting the ball into their own net all the time.

From the Ladies rule book

QuoteA score results when the ball is kicked, flicked, fisted or palmed in flight by any part of the body, except when thrown or carried over the line by the Attacking Side.

QuoteShould a defender play the ball in any manner through her own scoring space it shall count as a score.

Pretty much the exact same rule in both codes - if a defender hand-passes into their own goal it should count as a goal in both codes.

theticklemister

Team qualified yesterday for the final and won the competition today. So luckily it didn't matter , but i learnt something new.

theticklemister

blanketattack

Was the last goal by Kerry in today's League final legal?
When the Kerry player kicked the ball Jason Foley was outside the square, it then deflected off a Mayo player and at the time of the deflection he was inside the square.