Broadband

Started by Arthur_Friend, October 07, 2013, 04:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Have Sky TV and Broadband with BT. No issues except cost. With my Sky TV contract up, I enquired about BT TV and they offered me an overall package which was competitively priced. Rang up Sky and they outdid them, albeit by a few pound and will buy me out of my BT contract. I'm reluctant to lose BT Broadband, so just asking the question if anyone has any experiences of Sky broadband before I switch. 

bennydorano

I switch after every 18mth contract is up, I've found no difference in any of them tbh for speeds of up to 34mbs in Armagh area (had Sky). As can be read above I moved to Virgin with alleged speeds of up to100mbs - found there was very little improvement tbh, but on the advice of tommygunn I invested in a Mesh Network and the difference is very noticeable, feels like 100mbs now.

Sky are 100%

Rufus T Firefly

johnnycool

Quote from: bennydorano on May 26, 2021, 10:00:29 PM
I switch after every 18mth contract is up, I've found no difference in any of them tbh for speeds of up to 34mbs in Armagh area (had Sky). As can be read above I moved to Virgin with alleged speeds of up to100mbs - found there was very little improvement tbh, but on the advice of tommygunn I invested in a Mesh Network and the difference is very noticeable, feels like 100mbs now.

Sky are 100%

Everyone barring Virgin use the same cable/fibre infrastructure for your broadband so switching between any of them should have no material difference on the service.

Openreach are meant to be independent of BT but not it good ole Norn Iron.

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on May 27, 2021, 08:34:42 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 26, 2021, 10:00:29 PM

Sky are 100%

Everyone barring Virgin use the same cable/fibre infrastructure for your broadband so switching between any of them should have no material difference on the service.

Openreach are meant to be independent of BT but not it good ole Norn Iron.

Phone lines have a technical capacity based on the distance from the cabinet or exchange and there isn't much you can do about that speed once you have a modern modem
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL
However, a supplier might have congestion at some times of the day preventing you reaching that maximum, so changing might help that.
But as discussed, the speed is often sufficient, once people sort their wifi.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Harold Disgracey

Has anyone any experience of Fibrus yet? They are due to upgrade my area shortly. I'm joining a Hyperfast NI update event via teams this evening, anything I should look out for? Currently I have approx 17mbps download speed and 1mbps upload.

giveherlong

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on August 03, 2021, 05:12:11 PM
Has anyone any experience of Fibrus yet? They are due to upgrade my area shortly. I'm joining a Hyperfast NI update event via teams this evening, anything I should look out for? Currently I have approx 17mbps download speed and 1mbps upload.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/northern-ireland-government-dfe-dup-conservative-party-b2016471.html

Anyone get Fibrus yet, What's it like?
Bit of criticism here over their pricing structure

Smokin Joe

I'm just outside Armagh, the last house on the BT exchance and I can only get 8MB d/l speed from BT.

After being on the waiting list for a year my Starlink beta came today.
I'm getting d/l speeds of between 50MB and 160MB and u/l of 24 MB.
Happy with that.

armaghniac

Quote from: Smokin Joe on February 23, 2022, 09:27:22 PM
I'm just outside Armagh, the last house on the BT exchance and I can only get 8MB d/l speed from BT.

Happy with that.

Now you are really Smokin' Joe.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Taylor

Happy with that.

What sort of cost was it Joe?

johnnycool

Happy with that.

Any issues with latency, on conference calls and the likes?

imtommygunn

I likely said this before.... If you have issues look at a mesh network. I went from barely being able to be on calls on my own to both me and the wife being on calls most of the day with no bother at all for either of us.

Mikhailov

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 24, 2022, 09:12:02 AM
I likely said this before.... If you have issues look at a mesh network. I went from barely being able to be on calls on my own to both me and the wife being on calls most of the day with no bother at all for either of us.

Explain the mesh network to someone who has no clue (I mean absolutely no clue) on all this type of stuff. Please

imtommygunn

At a basic level a mesh network effectively extends coverage of broadband round your house and stops, or slows down, your signal weakening. You get things mini routers you turn on and they all connect to each other to strengthen signal. So I have BT whole home which is something like 3 "discs". You plug each of these in(as many or as few as you want) at various points round your house. I have one on my desk here and my laptop essentially connects to it.

I would swear by them and I know people extending signal to garage etc would swear by them. They're very easy to setup.

JoG2

Bought a Tenda PH5 AV1000 Power line adapter kit to extend the broadband to the wife's WFH area at the other end of the house. Ethernet and Wi-Fi. Its plug n play and a seriously good piece of kit for the price, £35. I've a garage / shed about 25m from the house, 80mb broadband off the Wi-Fi antenna when the Tenda is plugged in there.