Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

RIP Colm, one of my earliest idols in the Armagh team, and a gentleman to go with it.  A Clans and Armagh legend, RIP.

Captain Obvious

One of the greatest ever midfielders with club, county and province. RIP Colm

BennyCake

Just a bit before my time but seen plenty of footage of him. Sad to hear. RIP.

bennydorano

Ah shite no. I was McKinstry many a time in my mind as a child running about the local parks,pitches & playgrounds. RIP.

Saw that photo on the Our Ma twitter feed last night but hadn't heard he'd died.

Rufus T Firefly

So desperately sorry to hear this news. Colm was one of the all time greats, not just for Clan na Gael but for Armagh. His name is synonymous with that great Summer way back in 1977 when Armagh came out of the wilderness to become a football force on the national stage after a generation away. Armagh football has always been a force to one extent or another since then and we have Colm and his teammates to thank for that.

When I think of Colm, I think of that great Armagh team of 1980 - I'd wager a better team than in 1977 - who came so close to beating Roscommon in the All Ireland semi-final. Colm had the game of his life at midfield that day, ruling the roost and enabling a plentiful supply of ball to go into Brian Hughes at full forward, with Brian also having the proverbial stormer. To add to the whole sense of occasion, Armagh really looked the part that day, playing in the full white kit with the orange trim and the round crest. When Colm had to go off injured, Brian Hughes was moved out to the middle and the wheels totally came off, and we ended up beaten by six. That Roscommon team then fell narrowly to Kerry in the All Ireland Final and there was a sense that maybe Armagh's greatest ever opportunity had been let slip. Colm would go on to win a richly deserved All Star that year.

I recall our first trip in the National League to Cork on 1 February 1981. Colm was still playing wonderful football and although we were beaten that day, I recall an elderly Cork supporter asking who our midfielder was and telling him that was Colm McKinstry, an All Star!

At Club level, when I was younger, the name Clan na Gael struck fear into all - they were a name that you wanted to avoid when it came to Championship. They won thee Ulster Club titles in a row and were beaten by the Galacticos of UCD in an All Ireland Final replay (I think). Colm must have had close to ten McKillop Cup medals and I have fond memories of watching that great Clans side playing County Finals in the Athletic Grounds against Rangers and Carrickcruppen.

However, beyond that Colm was an absolute gentleman, and I was talking to him as recently as last Thursday up at the shop when - as always - he took the time to ask after my Mum following a recent illness. That was the type of the man Colm was. His passing will leave a huge void in so many different ways.

My deepest sympathies to the McKinstry and McGleenon Families and to all at Clan na Gael.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

brokencrossbar1

A fitting tribute Rufus, reflective of both Colm and yourself!!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 09, 2021, 11:54:44 AM
A fitting tribute Rufus, reflective of both Colm and yourself!!

Thank you my friend.

Sandy Hill

Gutted to hear of the death of Colm, RIP, a top man on and off the field. It was always a pleasure to meet him.
"Stercus accidit"

lurganblue

Awful news.  Colm was a legend of the game and a true gentleman off the field.

BennyCake

Una Stubbs, 84.

Best known for playing Aunt Sally in Worzel Gummidge.

Olly

Aunt Sally was my first crush. I remember our maid catching me with cuttings of Aunt Sally in the TV times in my pantry and ogling them. The ironic laugh about this is that in time I became quite attracted to Worzel and it ended up affecting my sexual preferences. I was kicked off picking apples in a field in Lurgan for making leery suggestions at the scarecrow.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

sans pessimism

Nancy Griffith- American Country singer
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Six Miles From Bangor

James McCartan Snr. All Ireland winner in 1960 & 61.

Targetman

Thats a shock, didn't know he was unwell, one of the most famous names in GAA, R.I.P.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.